• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Brainiac's Prison of the Firebringer (Updated 12/21/05)

Who is your favorite character in "The Firebringer?"

• Allanon Harpell

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Berek Onyxstout

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Gillian Lightfoot

• Grundar

• Jelani Sandulf

• Rhys Thurn

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Rumar Destare

• Terenon

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

ltclnlbrain

First Post
A'vandira Silvermane said:
How can I not yearn anymore, ltclnlbrain?
Another great update slakes my thirst, but once through leaves me aching for more once again.

Your aches shall be alleviated soon, dear lady, with a healthy dose of an update. It's good for what ails you. We're nearing the end of the adventure now: only two more chapters left. But fear not! There are still a few more updates after the adventure until we catch up to where the party is now. Once we catch do, updates will be shorter and perhaps once a week, but there still will be updates. I'll also occasionally post up some goodies like player character's statistics, plans for the story did I decided to scrap or modify, and other things, so stay tuned.

Last edited:

Terenon

First Post
Serrila

Roleplaying the romance between Terenon and Serrila was fun, but not half as fun as seeing Rumar roleplay his disdain for Terenon. It becomes a constant irritation to the paladin and the resulting friction makes the game all the more fun.

Gramcrackered

First Post
Terenon said:
Roleplaying the romance between Terenon and Serrila was fun, but not half as fun as seeing Rumar roleplay his disdain for Terenon. It becomes a constant irritation to the paladin and the resulting friction makes the game all the more fun.

Oh. Right. Sure.
*silently pops a few antacids*
:D

ltclnlbrain

First Post
My Internet connection has been down the past few days, so I have not been able to work on an update. I will get one up as soon as possible. A preview for Chapter 20, to build the anticipation:

The party battles the legendary Beast of Nine Flames.

The party has a run-in with the mysterious Yarrick Zan.

The party confronts the dreaded Firebringer himself!

Stay tuned!

ltclnlbrain

First Post
I haven't had much time lately to post, so I'll give you a small update tonight to satisfy you until I can get the full chapter up.

Interlude

Helios hurried up the magnificent double revolving staircase, holding up the hem of his black robe so as not to trip on it. Normally he took time to appreciate this marvelous bit of architecture, two independently built staircases that spiral around each other like a helix, but he didn't have time now. He was late, and his master hated when he was late.

It's not like it's my fault, the wizard thought bitterly. If that blasted mephit had bothered to tell me about the meeting before it had started, I wouldn't be in this mess. His mind filled with creative means of torturing the little outsider if he ever got the chance, Helios crested the last few steps into the cavern above.

The vast icy cavern stretched out all around the wizard, its dark, serrated walls glittering menacingly. In the deeper reaches of the cavern, the smooth polished floor broke into multiple tiers, separated by precarious jagged walls. Thick glacial ice coated every surface, icicles dangled from every overhang, and a cold fog permeated the cavern.

The floor rumbled as his master approached, and the mage prostrated himself on the ground. Prone as he was, Helios looked truly tiny compared to the enormous dragon that stood before him. The dragon had a beaked nose, spiny dewlaps, and a crest supported by a single, back-curving spine. A crisp, faintly chemical odor accompanied the dragon, whose scales glistened like snow. From the end of its nose to the tip of its tail, the creature must have been over one hundred fifty feet long, with a wingspan of nearly seventy-five feet. It glared down imperiously at the man, then spoke in a voice that reverberated off the walls of the cavern.

"You're late."

"My lord Acessiwal," Helios began, swallowing the lump in his throat, "forgive me. There was a communication problem with the mephit sent to fetch me. I arrived as soon as I found out."

The dragon snorted out a blast of freezing air from its nostrils. "Apology accepted. Don't let it happen again. Join the others and we will catch you up on what you missed."

Helios rose shakily to his feet, thankful the great wyrm didn't simply crush him where he stood. Scurrying around the massive dragon's form, he approached Acessiwal's other consultants. The first one was a white half-dragon clad in full plate and a fur-lined cloak. Helios sneered at this creature, and the half-dragon smiled knowingly. Samakel, the wizard thought, favored son of Acessiwal. He's probably the one who told the mephit to make me late. The sniveling coward will never admit to it, though.

He then turned to the other creature here, still unused to her presence. The creature was a large, otherworldly entity that appeared to be an attractive human female with six arms--at least from her head to her waist. From the waist down, the creature had the body of a massive snake with green, scaly coils. It had cost Helios much to bring this powerful demon here, but if Acessiwal could convince her to lend her master's forces when he made his bid for power, it would be worth it.

"Glad you could join us, Helios," said Samakel, disdain evident in his voice. "As I was saying, our forces have finally broken the frost giants' will and they are currently scattering across the tundra. Unfortunately, we suffered heavy losses during the siege. The bulk of the remaining army is in pursuit of the giants to make sure they are not able to regroup and launch a counterassault, but we will not have enough strength to attack Silverymoon for several months."

"Any news of your wayward brother?" the great wyrm rumbled.

Samakel shook his head. "No my lord, he fled from us after he declined your offer. I'm afraid we have been unable to locate him since."

"This news displeases me," Acessiwal rumbled, and Helios was satisfied to see Samakel cringe before his father's wrath. Not so snide now, are you? he thought to himself. "However," the dragon continued, "if Graz'zt agrees to the alliance, our ranks will swell with Abyssal hordes large enough to facilitate the attack." The dragon swung its massive head toward the snake-woman. "What does your master think of this, Akasa?"

The snake-woman crossed her middle arms across her chest, her lower arms clasped before her and her upper arms absently brushing her crimson hair. "The Dark One still does not feel satisfied that you possess enough strength to be successful, Acessiwal," Akasa said casually. "Such a commitment of troops away from the Blood War may be disastrous to his holdings in the Abyss."

The great wyrm roared in rage, leaning dangerously close to the demon. "I will prove to your master that I am worthy of his aid. Once the frost giants are eliminated, he will have no choice but to recognize my power."

The dragon's breath buffeted Akasa's hair around her head, but she seems unimpressed. "Let me know when you eliminate the giants, then."

Before Acessiwal allowed his rage to get the better of his intellect, Helios interjected. "My lord, I do have some news that might please you." The great dragon pulled away from the demon and inclined its head toward the wizard. Puffing his chest out, the wizard delivered his report. "My lord, the Acolytes of the Hidden Flame have been wiped out. The High Conflagration and the Flame Lords are dead, and Bazim-Gorag himself will fall within the week."

Samakel stepped forward in surprise. "I don't believe it. The adventurers were able to succeed?"

"Yes," said Helios cheerfully, "and without any risk to any of our forces. They did all the work for us. A much better result tha what would have occurred had we gone with your idea."

Samakel bristled at the barb, but his master cut him off before he could reply. "It was a good plan, Helios," Acessiwal said. Samakel growled deep in his throat, and Helios imagined that he could see steam rising off of his scaled forehead. Helios smiled inwardly at Samakel's irritation, glad that he had regained his master's favor. "However, if these adventurers are as crafty as you have made them out to be, they may have found out too much. They may be able to deduce the true situation behind their hiring and come here."

"Do not fear, my lord," said Helios. "Many of their ilk are motivated by money, so I have arranged a hefty payment that should keep them satisfied long enough for us to launch our assault. If they still decide to press their luck, my...creations...should be sufficient to deal with them."

"And what of the girl?" asked Acessiwal.

"She is still of use to me," the wizard replied. "But once her purpose is complete, she will be disposed of."

Last edited:

xenoflare

First Post
ltclnlbrain said:
Well, now that I've spoiled all of you with updates every day, I'm afraid new chapters will be coming a bit more slowly the rest of this week. It's final exam time, and unfortunately studying takes precedence over updating the story hour. Here's a little preview of Chapter 5 to heighten your anticipation:

The adventurers explore the forbidden building, a new member joins the party, and an old member kicks the bucket. Who will it be? Who. I ask? Stay tuned to find out!

haha! we had a run-in with Moskoog too, and it went nearly the same way - the psion scried him, and everyone teleported in and killed him in 2 rounds. That made our DM pissed off with scry/ fry (was our first try with such things) and we sorta made a tacit agreement never ever to do that again. -doo de doo-

great job!

Yours,
shao

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Whew, another long update. Enjoy!

Chapter 20

As the days grew closer to returning to the ruins, Terenon became more withdrawn. He tried to think of what the next move would be and what spells were needed to confront the Firebringer himself. The time spent with Serrila was the saving grace to his work. She gave him sanctuary that he found hard to leave. He cared for her, but the relationship distracted him from other important musings. He did his best to balance his feelings.

Finally, after about a week, the time came to meet back up with the others. As he descended the stairs into the inn’s common room, he caught the eye of Rumar, who was sitting at a nearby table. The paladin had been the recommon room since before dawn, carefully checking each strap and plate of his armor. Only once each section met his careful scrutiny did he switch to running a rag over its surface, buffing it all to a healthy shine. He gave a near inaudible grunt as Terenon entered and a slight dip of his shaved head but remained focused on his task.

Terenon sat across from Rumar and settled into an uncomfortable silence. The mage knew that the paladin did not approve of his relationship with Serrila, but thus far neither had them had really come out into the open about it. Terenon decided that now was definitely not the time to do so, and thus the silence persisted until the other four adventurers joined them at the table. Once everybody had settled in, the group began to discuss what to do next.

"I believe we should confront the beholder now,” said Terenon. “He has promised us a reward for removing the Acolytes, and I believe he will reward us. Interrogating the beholder would be preferable. However I don't want to tip our hand about our knowledge of the dragon. We must come up with a plan of action. I believe we can defeat him should it come to a fight, but the information he may have is more important. Suggestions?"

“We might just try and ask the beholder what it knows about the situation,” said Jelani. “It might be quite cooperative given that if we leave it alone, it’s going to be one of the most powerful beings in the area. Of course the dragon’s plans will change that, so it has some incentive to work with us. There are spells that should let me tell if it’s lying to us or not, and if all else fails we can just speak to it’s corpse. Before we do anything, though, might we find out if this creature’s missing central eye gives it some sort of advantage? Also it would be nice to know if it is indeed in collusion with the dragon.”

Terenon mulled over Jelani’s words. “Yes, the central eye had given me pause as well. I do know that others of its kind have a beam that emanates from the central eye. The beam disrupts the weave; essentially it is a cone of anti-magic. What if this beholder sees anti-magic as a disadvantage? I say we trap it with what it fears worst. Erect an anti-magic shell around it and intimidate the truth from it. This type of plan would require the spell be ready. Unless someone has it available, perhaps the first order of business today should be the Hydra. I scryed on the beholder earlier, and it seems content with reading its tomes. I don't believe he will be going anywhere soon."

“Perhaps we should go after the dragon first,” said Rhys. “If we were hired by the dragon to weaken the Acolytes, then we've been too successful and represent a possible thorn in its plans. The dragon wouldn't expect us to come after it and we're at our strongest now. We eliminate the dragon and deal with the others later.”

Jelani sighed. “If, if, if, if, if” he snorted. “And if birds were bears they couldn’t fly. You people are like a dog with a bone. What part of, ‘The beholder may or may not be working for the dragon’ is so hard for you people to grasp? If you can’t count the number of times you’ve been wrong about something on one hand, you can’t afford to just assume things.”

“Why don't we just kill them all?" asked Grundar, smirking. “I think for now we should just get rid of the hydra and find the staff of the ar-magus. I think we shouldn't get rid of the Firebringer yet, however. Since we have the ritual of unbinding, and if we get the staff, we are in fact capable of unleashing the Firebringer as well. We can persuade Philosten if we have to. Then we just need a chaotic aligned spellcaster. I would prefer not to do that, since we're bound by our oaths to slay the slaad lord, but we have him as a possible weapon if we desperately need it. We should keep our options open.”

"If you decide to unleash the Firebringer as some sort of 'weapon' against your other foes," Rumar said quietly, pulling a strap on his armor tight as he readjusted it to his body, "you had better be planning on killing me first. I will not stand by and allow an evil of that caliber let loose, regardless of what that requires on my part."

“I don’t want to release him,” Grundar added quickly, “I’m just laying out all the options here. Between a slaad lord and a dragon, I’d much rather fight the frog.”

"Rationalize it how you will. I will not risk accidentally unleashing an evil upon the cosmos simply because you are frightened or because you underestimate how powerful this slaad lord truly is." Though Rumar scarcely appeared to be paying attention to Grundar as he said this, the feeling in his words was obvious.

Jelani glanced at Rumar. “We may have to actually release the Firebringer anyway in order to destroy it, and risk is a part of every action. Tell me Rumar, what is it in your past that makes you presume the absolute worst of everyone?”

"Why?" Rumar said, turning towards Jelani, true anger flashing on his face. "I believe his exact words were that he'd prefer not to do it, but that the Firebringer could be potentially used as a weapon. A weapon!" the paladin continued, slamming another piece of armor on. "He would honestly have us wait until later to do our duty so that we have the option of unleashing a Slaad Lord. A Slaad Lord who would be capable of wreaking destruction on a scale we can scarcely comprehend! And all because Grundar is afraid to face the dragon! I have nothing against releasing this 'Firebringer' with plans to immediately slay him - if that is the best way to handle it. But I will not allow him freed because Grundar sees some sort of tactical advantage in directing him against someone else!"

"Let us remained focused on what our true tasks are, and not get bogged down in petty arguments,” said Terenon, trying to defuse the situation. “We just should be aware of the dragon and his plans. I doubt he knows that we know of him, otherwise the payment would not have been made. We are to think that we fulfilled our contract and nothing is out of the ordinary. I hate to admit it, but I have to agree with Rumar. We have sworn an oath to take care that the Firebringer will not leave its prison alive. I will not deviate from that goal. Let us concentrate on the Hydra today, and worry about the rest later."

“Fine,” said Grundar, letting the argument drop. “Let’s get going then.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a flash of light, the party appeared at the very bottom of the Well of Stars. Motes of light drifted lazily about the ceiling, and two sets of bronze doors led west and east out of the chamber. Grundar checked the western doors for traps before pulling them open. The pale green stone floor of the room beyond was decorated with a dark metal inlay. The design consisted of a circle intersected by smaller half-circles. In the north wall was a blank archway of stone inscribed with strange-looking runes. The entire room was finished in the same pale emerald stone as the floor, mottled with pink and white in spots.

Terenon cautiously stepped into the room and examined the diagrams. “Cold iron inlays…wards against chaos… This must have been the chamber where the calling and binding of the Firebringer took place. That blank archway just leads to a wall of stone. Perhaps it was used in part of a ritual?”

Grundar moved over to the archway and retrieved a small magnifying lens from his pack. He tapped it in a certain way and it began glowing faintly. He moved it over the wall to make sure nothing was hidden behind it. Satisfied, he turned to the others and shrugged. “Nothing here. Let’s try the other doors.”

The eastern doors were hot to the touch, but again Grundar found no traps on them. A blast of scalding wind and heat greeted the elf as he opened the door, but Jelani had warded the entire group against fire, and it felt like little more than a light summer breeze on his skin. Beyond the double bronze doors laid an immense natural cavern filled with bubbling lava and illuminated by its angry red glare. The air in here was as hot as a blazing forge, and the sizzling and bubbling of lava was noisy enough to make speech difficult.

Islands of solid, flat-topped stone rose from the bubbling lava here and there, forming a difficult path to the north and another to the south. In the southern portion of the room, the stepping-stones curved out of sight, but in the northern section, they led to a ledge and a broken door. In front of the door laid a hulking, red-scaled monstrosity with nine serpentine heads. Its necks writhed and coiled, and its mouths hissed in constant agitation. Nine sets of eyes glared at the adventurers as they entered with undisguised malice.

Wasting no time, Jelani sent a large ball of sonic energy hurtling toward the hydra. It struck the creature dead-on, and its nine heads howled in pain and rage.

Beating his feathery wings and stirring up the hot air around him, Rumar took flight and began flapping over to the beast. The damage done to its body starting to heal before his eyes, the hydra heaved its massive bulk off the ground and dove into the lava. It swam through the river toward Rumar, then it sent a jet of flame from each of its mouths toward the paladin. Fortunately for him, the energy protection prevented him from getting hurt.

Grundar drew his longbow and sent three arrows sailing toward the beast. The first one sunk into its massive body, though it didn't even seem to faze it. The successive arrows splashed harmlessly into the lava around it.

Thinking along the same lines as Jelani, Terenon sent another ball of sonic energy at the creature, though as it was partially submerged in the lava, the thing was able to dodge out of the way and take less damage. Allanon followed up that attack with a blast of chain lightning that struck the hydra despite its cover, causing the smell of charred flesh and the thing's screams of pain to fill the chamber.

An idea slowly formed in Terenon’s mind. “Everybody hold your actions,” he said. “I’ll take care of this.” The mage began floating through the air toward the nine-headed beast. Meanwhile, the creature swam closer to the aasimar and lashed out with nine sets of snapping jaws. Rumar did a valiant job of parrying the dangerous teeth away with sword and shield, but one head managed to land a solid blow on the paladin. He felt a virulent poison coursing through his veins after the bite, but he was able to resist its effects.

Eager to prove himself, Rhys sent two sling bullets sailing at the monstrosity. The first beamed the creature right between one set of eyes, and that head thrashed about in pain as a large welt appeared on it. The second bullet splashed harmlessly in the lava.

Determined to put an even quicker end to this battle, Terenon flew a few feet towards the beast before unleashing a new spell he had recently learned, a spell that allowed him to sequence several spells together and cast them all at once. A dozen rays of pure sonic energy sailed toward the hydra and, while the first missed the beast, the remaining eleven slammed into its heads and body, battering the creature with destructive concussive force. Blood exploded from nearly a dozen wounds as the creature's heads convulsed in agony, and the lights in its eyes went out as the necks collapsed. The nine heads struck the lava, sending chunks of it into the air, and after a few seconds, the entire hydra sunk beneath the surface.

Allanon stared in open-mouthed disbelief as the hydra was torn apart. “You’ve got to teach me how to do that!” he cried.

Grundar smiled and looked around the corner. “Way to go! Can somebody check around the southern bend?” Rumar signaled that he would oblige and flew off to investigate.

Terenon started to reply when a slight movement near the ceiling caught his eye. Before the fight, he had cast a spell that would reveal invisible creatures and see through magical disguises, and so he saw what the others couldn’t. A figure in a tight black body suit floated near the rocky stalactites, slowly making its way hand-over-hand toward the group. The creature was vaguely humanoid, but its head was a terror to behold. It resembled a mauve octopus, with four long tentacles and white pupil-less eyes. A mind flayer.

Realizing that he had spotted, the illithid suddenly seemed to meld into the shadows and disappeared from sight. Terenon frowned as he considered this, but then things began to fall into place. An illithid dressed like an adventurer with the ability to meld into shadows. He had to be…

“Yarrick,” the mage called out in a singsong voice. “Yarrick Zan. Come out, come out, wherever you are.” He smiled knowingly and looked around. “Yes, we know who you are. Your employers are dead, and you have lost the element of surprise and anonymity. Show yourself so we can talk. We have no quarrel with you, unless you make one."

A few moments of tense silence passed, then suddenly the others could see a black-clad man drop from the ceiling to land in a graceful crouch on one of the stone islands close to them. He appeared as a nondescript half-elf, but Terenon and Jelani (who also had cast the same spell) could see through the disguise. Zan regarded them coolly, but his lips (tentacles) twitched in agitation.

"Adventurers," he began. " It may sound cliché, but if I wanted to kill you, you all would be dead by now. My only concern is to retrieve the scepter of the ar-magus for my employer."

Jelani shrugged. “There’s no reason that can’t work out. We don’t really want the scepter, but we can’t let it go anywhere until we’ve dealt with the creature that it releases. If you don’t mind waiting a bit, there should be no problem.”

"You would part with it so easily,” said Zan, “but the difficult part will be retrieving it. If you believe you can take on the slaad lord and live, then by all means, you're welcome to try. But I cannot rely on you alone. While you distract the slaad, I will sneak by and take the scepter. Then you will not hear from me again."

"If the Firebringer is even twice as hard as the hydra Terenon just sunk, we'd hardly break a sweat,” said Grundar cockily. “Now, what would your employer need with the scepter of the ar-magus anyway? Are you saying that the scepter is being held by the Firebringer?"

Zan nodded. “It currently rests atop the Firebringer's hoard. The Acolytes discovered it in the crypt long ago and gave it to the slaad lord to keep it safe until the ritual could be performed. The scepter is a powerful magical item in its own right, and it is essential to perform the rite of unbinding. Suffice it to say that my employer lacks confidence in your ability to defeat the slaad lord and has entrusted me to retrieve the scepter so that, even were you to fail, the Firebringer could not be released."

"So the Firebringer lies past that door?" Grundar pointed with the end of his bow.

“Yes, that is the broken seal that leads to Bazim-Gorag’s hedged gaol,” Zan said irritably. “I pray that Cyric watches over you this day if you truly plan on fighting him.”

Terenon listened to the mind flayer spout his intentions. He could barely believe the honesty. "You have been straight forward with us, so I will be the same with you. You may join us in the battle, but will not steal away with the scepter until the slaad is destroyed. I promise safe passage with it, but only if you join in the battle. Are these terms acceptable?"

"I am not suicidal. I will not join in a hopeless battle. If you wish, I will wait until after the battle is over before I take the scepter, so that if you do survive, you can verify that I take nothing else. But you will have to defeat the slaad lord on your own."

Terenon nodded. "Whether we succeed or fail, you will wait until after the battle. If we succeed, taking the scepter will be no risk to you. If we succeed, we will allow you to take the scepter and do with it what you wish. The only payment we request is the name of your employer. Are these terms acceptable?”

“Very well. I will await the outcome of the battle at the base of the Well of Stars.” Zan bowed slightly, then nimbly leaped across the islands in the lava river to the bronze doors.

“We should probably rest before we fight the Firebringer,” said Terenon. “Let’s take a look around his prison first.”

Terenon, Grundar, Allanon, Jelani, and Rhys stepped through the broken seal. Around the corner, Rumar examined a set of false doors, forgotten by the others…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently, a massive stone door once stood at the north end of the lava cavern, blocking a passage of worked stone. But judging from the huge chunks of rune-scribed rubble that littered the floor, someone must have destroyed it long ago.

The passageway beyond the door was made of dressed stone covered in plaster, which was painted with scenes of fire and destruction, including erupting volcanoes and burning cities. One particularly awful set of frescoes depicted an unusual form of human sacrifice, in which the victim was chained inside a stone mold, which was then filled with molten lava.

The passage ended in a strange, 10-foot tall arch of red stones, each scribed with runes in geometric shapes. Beyond the archway laid a magnificent hall, with walls made of rough red granite and floors finished in polished red marble veined with gold. Four gleaming pillars of the same red marble supported a vaulted ceiling 40 feet high.

In the center of the room, a square pool of lava seethed sluggishly, illuminating the room with red light. A heap of blackened bones and slag-fouled chains laid near the pool of lava. At the end of the room, opposite the archway, stood a smooth black mirror worked in the shape of another doorway.

The black mirror at the far end of the room suddenly seemed to ripple strangely, and a tall human stepped through. He carried a glaive wreathed in black flame, and his hair was a brilliant shock of red and orange. His skin was a dark, ruddy shade of bronze, and his red eyes almost seemed to glow. "We've been waiting for you," he said in a voice that changed pitch in mid-sentence. "We have watched your progress. Consent to assist us in escaping from the bonds of ancient treachery, and we will reward you richly indeed."

There could be no doubt. This was the Firebringer.

The others standing at the ready, Terenon gave a slight bow to the strange-looking human. "Bazim-Gorag. You have been observing us from your prison. For how long I wonder?” Terenon backed away from the Firebringer unconsciously. "If you have watched us, then you know we cannot consent to release you. It is not an option."

Bazim-Gorag smiled toothily. "We know where your moral outlook lies," he said, "but you have been working under false assumptions. You have not heard our side of the story. We were unjustly imprisoned here by the ancient wizards of Selskar because they refused to live up to the bargain they'd made with us. We did out part, slaughtering the trolls and orcs of Harska Thaug's army. But were the Selskaryn grateful for what we did? No! They would not meet the agreed upon price and locked me in this forsaken prisoner for centuries. Releasing us would only be righting an ancient wrong."

Terenon’s disapproving look soon changed to one of curiosity. "It's true that the Selskaryn were an evil people, and I have no doubt that they would have done such a thing. Tell me this. What price was too high for the Selskaryn to pay that they would go to such lengths to keep you bound here?”

"The price was simple enough. A permanent gate to the Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo was to be opened within the Selskar Vale. From there, we slaadi could establish a significant horde on this world from which we could spread chaos across the Realms. Apparently, our goals did not 'mesh' well with those of the Ar-Magus Ilviroon, and he confined us here." Basim-Gorag's expression turned sad. "That was a long time ago, and now all we desire is our freedom from this cursed gaol. Surely this is not too much to ask?"

Terenon mulled over what the slaad had said. It would seem that imprisonment had tempered its taste for vengeance, if it could be believed. The very nature of slaadi made them unreliable. What he said might have been true at the moment, but in five minutes it might change. Bonding such a beast to its word would be difficult.

"So, if I understand you correctly, you only want to return home to Limbo. I am not unsympathetic to your request, but what guarantee do we have that you will fulfill your promise? My word is my bond. I have already given it. I vowed that you would not leave this prison alive. We must have some assurances. If your body was brought back to Limbo dead, could it be resurrected? It would allow me to keep my vow and you would be free of your prison and able to reign in Limbo."

"You will get no assurance of our veracity," Bazim-Gorag growled. "Living or dead, we cannot leave this prison until the rite of unbinding is performed. We have heard tales of powerful outsiders returning from death, but it is extremely difficult and highly unlikely that we would return. At any rate, we will not stand idly by and allow you to kill us. Since you have 'vowed' to not let us leave here alive, we cannot take any chances. Once you all have been reduced to ash, it will only be a matter of time before we can attract a new brood of Acolytes. It is time for you to burn."

With that, the Firebringer surrounded himself in a fiery aura and raises his glaive into a battle stance.

Humming quietly to himself, Rumar flew about the fake door, trying to figure out it's purpose. "Maybe if I pull on this?" he muttered, feeling about with groping hands. "No? Hmmmm...well...there must be some reason it's here..."

Grundar

First Post
Ugh, i hate Yarrick.. :( I'm going to have my Thri-kreen illithid slayer go after him some day.

Anyway, reading this chapter makes me smile as the entire group basically forgot about Rumar as he flies of to the other side of the room..

If we had remembered about him, perhaps the outcome would have been a little better?

It was at this point, where we saw the awesome combo of simbul's spell sequencer + scorching ray. Too bad, it got nerfed later eh?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads