• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Brainiac's Prison of the Firebringer (Updated 12/21/05)

Who is your favorite character in "The Firebringer?"

• Allanon Harpell

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Berek Onyxstout

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Gillian Lightfoot

• Grundar

• Jelani Sandulf

• Rhys Thurn

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Rumar Destare

• Terenon

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
""Truth be told," he continued sheepishly, "I mighta been a bit confused as to the mage's intent back there when we first spotted the giant. Sorta expected the thing to explode into bits when he finished casting his first spell.”""

My favorite quote from the whole story hour, also my favorite character. It was a shame to see him go, and not be resurrected.

GW

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
Grundar said:
I'm confused. Which mage are you talking about and what giant?

Early on, The Giants protecting the Keep/Castle where the Fire cult was hanging out. The Dwarf quietly rushed into battle, with his lips tightly shut, to help the party be stealthy. One of the others cast a spell at the Giant.

Copied that quoted section way back then, and saved it while finishing the story. Only to find that later on, the Dwarf bites it, and isn't raised.

GW

ltclnlbrain

First Post
Whew, Greywolf's digging up the ancient past! (Though ancient translates to a few months ago.) :) Yes, we were all sad to see Berek go, though his passing made way for Rumar to come in. That, in turn, led to a whole wealth of roleplaying opportunities that never would have occurred had our favorite plucky and irritable paladin not joined. :)

Grundar

First Post
Berek's fun too, but seriously, frenzied beserkers don't have many friends. Its enough to deal with the enemy, you'll have to watch your back all the time in case they go berserk and take you out.

In arena style fighting, they rock, with power attack, they can dish out tons of damage.

Gramcrackered

First Post
Not that his tendency to hurt party members was the deciding factor or anything though. Ultimately, I couldn't have had him come back without completely shattering my character concept - though it never had a chance to come up, Berek simply wanted to die in combat. Had this big 'ole thing about how he wanted to redeem himself for various reasons, blah, blah, blah.
In retrospect, I suppose I could have said that he wasn't happy with dying the way he did. Not particuarly impressive to be blasted by magic while unable to do anything about it.

...Damn. Why is that only occuring to me NOW? That would have worked perfectly.

Pelwrath

First Post
The combat comming up was a truely marvelous experiance. Bazim-Gorag was far ahhh more diverse than I expected. Yup, we did forget about Rumar and it did cost us, a lot.
As for Yarrick, well sometime you just talk yourself into too many agreements without really thinking about who or what you're dealing with.

Terenon

First Post
Firebringer

How the upcoming combat went was mostly(all) Terenon's fault. I had thought that I would just have a short conversation with it, and then rest buff and attack. However the firebringer had another idea. Once the battle started, leaving became less and less of an option.

You'll have to realize that the firebringer has a CR 18+ and we were 14th level. Starting battle without our strongest fighter. Needless to say, the battle was less than a cake walk

xenoflare

First Post
Terenon said:
How the upcoming combat went was mostly(all) Terenon's fault. I had thought that I would just have a short conversation with it, and then rest buff and attack. However the firebringer had another idea. Once the battle started, leaving became less and less of an option.

You'll have to realize that the firebringer has a CR 18+ and we were 14th level. Starting battle without our strongest fighter. Needless to say, the battle was less than a cake walk

Hi,

Did you fight the "Bound" or "Unbound" version of Bazim-Gorag? i'm fascinated , both by the great writing of your exploits, and also because we went through nearly everything the way you did, but with much more bloody results and lots of losses on our end. (Serilla falling in love with one of the party, and Moskoog being beaten by divination magic...)

Yours,
shao

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads