D&D 5E DM getting to PLAY!!! Woo-hoo!

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Hello all, 95% of the time or more, I typically DM for 2 groups and soon I will relish in the chance to play once again, but I am curious if any of you might have some insight.

First, I am a fan of the core "original" races (a la Tolkien and AD&D), but might consider others (please no "animal-headed" options).
Second, the fewer things my PC can "do" (via features) the better, however a moderate amount is ok (just so everyone doesn't suggest Champion LOL).
Third, let's try to keep classes, subclasses, etc. limited to the PHB and Xanathar's Guide.
Fourth, my ability scores will be 12, 12, 12, 11, 10, 9 prior to any ASI (a +2/+1 float will likely be allowed), and I can arrange to taste.
Lastly, I will be playing in Descent Into Avernus (this is most likely what the DM will run).

So, any thoughts?

jgsugden

Legend
It depends upon wat you value.

I want to tbe effective: Druid. Druid is the class that is least attribute dependent.

I want to be simple: Frenzied or Totem barbarians are options that rival the Champion for simplicity. Assassin rogue can also work here.

I want to be thematic: For descent into Avernus, I'd favor an Aasimar, Tiefling or Gnome (for tinkering type concepts).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Hello all, 95% of the time or more, I typically DM for 2 groups and soon I will relish in the chance to play once again, but I am curious if any of you might have some insight.

First, I am a fan of the core "original" races (a la Tolkien and AD&D), but might consider others (please no "animal-headed" options).
Second, the fewer things my PC can "do" (via features) the better, however a moderate amount is ok (just so everyone doesn't suggest Champion LOL).
Third, let's try to keep classes, subclasses, etc. limited to the PHB and Xanathar's Guide.
Fourth, my ability scores will be 12, 12, 12, 11, 10, 9 prior to any ASI (a +2/+1 float will likely be allowed), and I can arrange to taste.
Lastly, I will be playing in Descent Into Avernus (this is most likely what the DM will run).

So, any thoughts?
Play what is most fun to you. Despite any power differences in the core book between classes and subclasses, they all do well in the game. If you don't play often, go with your favorite and not what the group needs or what might be strongest.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It depends upon wat you value.

I want to tbe effective: Druid. Druid is the class that is least attribute dependent.

I want to be simple: Frenzied or Totem barbarians are options that rival the Champion for simplicity. Assassin rogue can also work here.

I want to be thematic: For descent into Avernus, I'd favor an Aasimar, Tiefling or Gnome (for tinkering type concepts).
Not very effective -- I have played for so long very little surprises me or catches me off guard. All the players are newer, so I want them to make the decisions. I'll just ride along for the fun of it and help out as I can.

I was considering even just playing a Sidekick class for this reason.

Play what is most fun to you.
That is sort of my problem. As DM, I get to play anything I want really (as NPC, DMPC, creature, or whatever), which is why nothing is jumping out "PLAY ME, PLAY ME!!!"

not what the group needs
LOL yeah, I am definitely not worrying about what the group "needs". They have to start figuring that out for themselves. ;)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
That is sort of my problem. As DM, I get to play anything I want really (as NPC, DMPC, creature, or whatever), which is why nothing is jumping out "PLAY ME, PLAY ME!!!"
Like you I DM most of the time, so playing a PC is a rarity for me. I find that playing the actual class is pretty different from playing the NPC version which doesn't get nearly the number of special abilities, spell selection, etc.

Do you prefer casters, martials, or semi casters?
LOL yeah, I am definitely not worrying about what the group "needs". They have to start figuring that out for themselves. ;)
LOL Perfect!

Dioltach

Legend
Here's a tip, speaking as a fellow-Forever DM: don't be a backseat driver. It can be very tempting to correct the DM. Don't. It's their turn, let them do it how they want to. If they ask for advice, if they want to draw on your knowledge of the rules, sure, chip in. But otherwise be a good player: the kind of player you'd want as a DM.

For the rest: have fun, chuck some dice and let someone else do the thinking for a while.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Do you prefer casters, martials, or semi casters?
Mostly utility, whether through skills (such as rogue) or via utility spells.

Here's a tip, speaking as a fellow-Forever DM: don't be a backseat driver. It can be very tempting to correct the DM. Don't. It's their turn, let them do it how they want to. If they ask for advice, if they want to draw on your knowledge of the rules, sure, chip in. But otherwise be a good player: the kind of player you'd want as a DM.
Oh, no worries, that is always a given. When I DM, what I say is LAW, and when I play, what the DM says is LAW. I don't tread on their authority, ever.

And yes, if they ask for my advice, I prefer to offer it after the session so they can run it how they think is best. If they like my suggestion after the fact, it is something they can do next time.

For the rest: have fun, chuck some dice and let someone else do the thinking for a while.
That's mainly the plan. I enjoy sitting back and letting other players learn instead of rely in my expertise in the game.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I also DM 95% of the time, congrats on getting to play!

My personal favorite in these situations is something like the totem barbarian. fun, resilient and no one will be asking you to do any thinking or talking!

A support character can also be fun here. New groups often underestimate how much support characters can add. Bard tends to be the best at this, but then other players might rely on you to do a lot of the talking (which it doesn't sound like what you want). A diviner wizard is also a great option, as you can REALLY help the group but in ways they may not even notice half the time.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I also DM 95% of the time, congrats on getting to play!
Thanks! I am looking forward to it, believe me! :D

Bard tends to be the best at this, but then other players might rely on you to do a lot of the talking (which it doesn't sound like what you want)
Yeah, I am avoiding the bard for this reason. Otherwise, utility skills and spells would be awesome. One role I don't want is the "scout", though. Let someone else learn how to do it well.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Life clerics (Human) can be very straightforward, with a fun selection of spells to support your party.

Valor bards (Half Elf) can be similar - fun and fairly straightforward. You can make it strength based so it's more of a sword and board support fighter.

Thematically, a warlock (Tiefling) with an abyssal patron could be interesting, especially if the patron inhabits Avernus...

Remove ads