• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM/Graphic Designer with too much time on his hands...

opteryx

Explorer
Just thought I'd show off what I've done for my upcoming Dark Sun campaign over the last two rainy days between jobs. I've got 100's done, with more to come...

ds01.jpg
ds02.jpg
ds03.jpg
ds04.jpg

BriarMonkey

First Post
Awesome!

I've oft thought of doing exactly that type of setup as you have a lot of flexibility with the minis. But alas, my autis..., er artistic, ability is sorely lacking. Not to mention trying to find the art to use in the first place.

So I tend to make do with Lego instead.

opteryx

Explorer
I have a D&D Insider account, so I have access to all the artwork, the rest I just find online. None of the artwork is mine, so no real art talent is needed. The only helpful skill has been Photoshop. For instance, removing the rock from the Silk Wyrm image, or reattaching the Tareks' arms in a different position so they fit the scale of the counter. Also making colour adjustments so I can have different looking creatures from the same illustration.

jedavis

First Post
Impressive! I've been building tokens for use in VTTs - hadn't thought to make stand-up paper ones for meatspace play. Only have a black-and-white printer, though, so it might not go so well.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
Looks good!

I've seen DMs do the paper tokens in this fashion before, and I'm sorry if it's stepping on toes if you've already thought of this...

Get something on their bases to weight them down. A bit of scotch tape and a penny is good. I've seen those sorts of tokens go flying with people closing books, getting up from the table, bumping the table with their leg, or even reaching across the mat to move their mini. They fly easily if you don't have some sort of weight on them.

opteryx

Explorer
Yup! You can see them in the first photo! Pennies on all of them. Been through it before without weight: one heavy breath, and everyone gets blown down!

lostingeneral

First Post
I wonder why I've never thought of this.

I went straight from 2D tokens to plastic minis without considering anything in between. Switching to something like this could save me a fortune...

Good job. I prefer 3d minis myself, but this is definitely a good solution if you can't afford to buy minis or can't find one for many of the unique creatures that roam the Dark Sun campaign world.

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads