• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM really messing up our party

Arcanus

First Post
Our DM today really was screwing our party.

Lets not get into spoilers and hint around at the adventure we were in currently.

We were fighting an evil blackguard Skeletal Warrior type from a completely unfriendly to pc's dungeon crawl from Necromancer Games.

The party on average was 5th level and there was 4 of us.(in the hall at the time of this rant) My 5th level cleric (with all archery based feats and an elven god) had greater magic weapon cast off a scroll on his arrows was the only character willing to stand as close to the foe at 60 ft.

Everyone else decided to take off as far as 100 ft away and wait for additional party members to come ( they had been hit with fear and ran) so these losers (3 of them) decided not to come up and tangle with the bad guy cause he was tough. Even though I called for them to come up to my aid, they did not. I was Rapid Shooting my little elfs butt off for 4 rounds I hit all of 7 times and could do a max of 18 points of damage from 1 arrow. I never rolled a 1 the whole time for damage.

I only had 40 HP with a Con of 16 @ 5th level I thought I was safe and then I got Hit with a Flame Strike for 41 HPs (OW! the DM knew I had only 40 HP). So I fall unconcious and I don't stabilize that round. The party members only THEN decide okay we will run up and heal him. They have a movement of 15 ft due to stupid races and armor (LOL). Remember that they are 40ft away. So they walk to me (bast@#$!). The Skeletal guy comes up and hits me for some special screw you thing for instant death no save. Then he tries to raise me as an undead. I scream to the players "Oh yeah make me a Curst or a Renevant and I will kill all you wussy coward little sh@$% for not helping me out!" THEN they run up and try and drag me away and claim to the DM that he can't move 60ft and do all of that in 1 round. So the instant death still stands but 1 of the party members drags off my corpse and the other one gets smacked around that round then runs.

Well this is what happens I was going to be able to come back as a undead character but we couldn't find Monsters of Faerun anywhere, so I made a new cleric who was stupider and had a worse Cha. The party who knew I wanted to come back and kill them started looting my body. They tool alot of good stuff. ONLY AFTER LOOTING ME DID THEY SAY A PRAYER AND BLESS MY BODY!!!

I was a little miffed. (for give the long story but I am little on the Capt. Morgan side of being drunkish)

Anyway the new cleric met up with the party and we fought the Skeletal warrior again. This time by accdent. Ont guy decided to run up and get the wand of cloundkill from him and trued to grapple him to get it away. I wanted to kick is ass for not doing a disarm attempt ( he did theis for 4 rounds in a row) Each time he faield his grapple hold checks. THE DM THOUGHT HE COULD USE A RING OF THE RAM TO TAKE HIS ATTACKS OF OPPORTUNITY WITH!!!!! I told him he was wrong . He said that it could hit a pc up to 50ft away. I told him yeah it can but it doesn't threaten anyone that far away. Anytime someone came within 5ft he nailed them with it for 3 charges espended. Ouch and then he kept trying to use the cloudkill wand each round (I dispelled it 2 rounds in a row) all of this being dome with a greastsword in 1 hand and the wand in the other. I knew he was wrong and he said Oh well. He did kill a pc and nearly killed another using this tactic and 2 unicorns (that we had summoned from a Stagf of the Woodlands) I finally killed the guy and he bit the ground hard.

I had shot him 9 times and did a min of 13 Hps eanch time.max of 20.
He told us he had scaled him back a bit so we could kill him.
I thought "what the hell I did at least 100HP or more and the unicorns hit him 2 times with their tree hugging horns and he said he made it easy on us!!!!!!! Even with making up his own rules as he goes and getting pissy when we mention that it isn't posible to do that without some class feature or spell or whatever. I mean he tried to use spells to take his attacks of opportunity with. Our ranger died because of this.

Normally he is a pissy little whining DM who hates to be contradicted but he normally changes things to make them right.

Even out of the game he is a whining, pissy, nobody knows as much as this AutoMechanic does type of arrogant guy.
(you have to know him to get along but it is hard )

What do you do to not piss guys like this off and still have fun?
Even when he isn't DM his character is the same way (and he always plays a Paladin) who berates all the party.

How do you make it without not being attached to any characters you might be running?

Kai Lord

Hero
Arcanus said:
My 5th level cleric (with all archery based feats and an elven god) had greater magic weapon cast off a scroll on his arrows was the only character willing to stand as close to the foe at 60 ft.

A cleric archer? Well there's your problem. :D

Arcanus said:
What do you do to not piss guys like this off and still have fun?

It depends. If he truly doesn't play by the rules, its hard to play a character effectively even if you try to out-metagame him. If you're attached to your character, treat the campaign like Paranoia. If you're aren't attached to your character, get naked and start killing stuff. :cool:

Last edited:

dcollins

Explorer
Wow, what an awful bunch of players (both strategy and attitude-wise).

It sounds like the only thing the DM did wrong was think he could use a magic ring for AOOs. Mistakes happen to anyone.

Consider yourself lucky that anyone is willing to DM your group at all.

Fenes 2

First Post
From my limited perspective the group wanted to wait for the members hit with magical fear to come back before engaging the threat, and your cleric had not enough discipline to keep in the formation. Was there a party leader giving orders? Or was it just everyone for himself?
You know that with a bow you can shoot from farther away than 60 yards? If you are a caster and/or an archer and your melee friends are behind you and not between you and your enemy, then you are doing something wrong anyway.

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Seems that the party has problems to use proper tactics. I mean, a spellcasting archer alone against a SKELETAL warrior..come on - that's more or less suicide. If the group does not help a pc in combat, that pc SHOULD consider a retreat if the odds are against him, IMHO. That the monster finished off the only opposing (later unconcious) pc is bad, but logical. Raising him as an undead makes ressurection impossible, so it seems to be a smart black guard. BTW, holding a greatsword in one hand is possible with the Monkey Grip feat (S&F). Using it in conjunction with a wand needs a Haste or something similar.
One single monster with about 100 hp against a 5th level party might be ok (although I do not know its special abilities and CR), if a good tactic is used.

DM mistakes happen from time to time (nobody's perfect ;)). If you don't like the way of playing, choose another group or use better combat tactics. My group had learned this slowly after some devastating losses because of a very bad planning (I must admit that I am a quite merciless DM :D).

jasper

Rotten DM
bad dm, bad players,
please changed dm, and get rid of dm/player
or quit whining.
Part of your post reminded me of some of my players who were 18 and want a be grunts

Remove ads