• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Screen Dilemma

hailstop

First Post
my players began using miniatures for combat (something that's still very new to me and having a hard time narrating it, but that's another topic), and since i use a DM screen, i find it's difficult for me to draw the scenario, and control my NPC's.

tried removing the screen during combat, but it reveals everything i have behind my screen: adventure, notes, and rolls.

suggestions, thoughts, ideas? thanks!

-PJ

I get up to draw on the battlemap, but after that I use a laser pointer.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
If you do tend to fudge die rolls a lot, or 'fake' die rolls often (IE you roll randomly for no reason other than to throw your players off of which rolls are real and which aren't) you don't need a screen.

I just cup my hand in front of my die before I roll it.
You don't even need to do that. Just pick a number between 1 and the die size, (before rolling), and add that to the roll. Use the modulo result.

E.g., I need to roll a secret d20 roll. I decide "17." I roll the die, in plain view, and get a 2. I add my 17, and the result is 19. If I'd rolled a 10, say, I'd add my 17, giving 27, then discard the 20, giving me a result of 7.

Works great, and it's especially handy if you have players who just can't seem to help watching the monsters' rolls and reverse engineering the stats. "Wait, wait, wait. He hit on a 5, but missed on a 19? What the hell?"

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Because 999 times out of 1,000 I've not decided the results before the die rolls, and my players don't need to know when that 1,000th time rolls around. I let the game handle things almost all the time, except when it would result in a less enjoyable game for those involved.

It is a very thin tightrope I walk when I do invoke an (extremely rare) fudge, and I'm aware of it, and my players are aware that it is a possibility. I know the rules to the game, and most of the time I'm playing in their bounds. But occasionally, I will play 'against the rules' as a GM when doing so will increase my player's enjoyment of the game.

This is an excellent explanation of my methods also. It's never a continuous fudge fudge decide before hand, it's an occasional tool when its needed.

The players trusting you is the important part. If you have a DM versus PC conflict where they think you are out to win with your authority...it won't work.

Yes, the most important thing is having fun... and players dying in an easy random encounter not because of bad tactics, but only because of bad luck is reason to fudge...

although there usuallyare more elegant ways to save the session...

Holy Bovine

First Post
You don't even need to do that. Just pick a number between 1 and the die size, (before rolling), and add that to the roll. Use the modulo result.

E.g., I need to roll a secret d20 roll. I decide "17." I roll the die, in plain view, and get a 2. I add my 17, and the result is 19. If I'd rolled a 10, say, I'd add my 17, giving 27, then discard the 20, giving me a result of 7.

Works great, and it's especially handy if you have players who just can't seem to help watching the monsters' rolls and reverse engineering the stats. "Wait, wait, wait. He hit on a 5, but missed on a 19? What the hell?"

I used to do this all the time for search rolls and disabling traps. Now I have the main 'search guy' roll 6 search/perception rolls and I assign them randomly to the number 1-6. When he wants to search he rolls a d6 and I tell him what happens.

bh2

First Post
my players began using miniatures for combat (something that's still very new to me and having a hard time narrating it, but that's another topic), and since i use a DM screen, i find it's difficult for me to draw the scenario, and control my NPC's.

tried removing the screen during combat, but it reveals everything i have behind my screen: adventure, notes, and rolls.

suggestions, thoughts, ideas? thanks!

-PJ
I found a solution to this just this week, since I am having the same problem reaching the battle mat w/ the dm screen in the way (even the 4e one is a little too high to reach over comfortably). I use two DM screens, one DM to my left for rolling, hit point tracking, and misc. secret stuff which is the standard (too tall) DM Screen. I made another DM screen out of paper which was half the height that would mostly cover up the adventure / 'less secret stuff'.

jcayer

Explorer
I picked up the 4e screen when it first came out. Used it for less than half a session. I agree with several people, it just got in the way. In the end, I just don't use one and don't bother to hide my stuff.

We are all there to have fun. If a player needs to "cheat" and look at my sheet to see how many hit points a monster has left, well that is up to him. It doesn't hurt the guy on one side of me has poor vision and the other guy sits 3 feet from the table since he is 6' 7".

As for rolls, I have an old set of dice I use, that have fairly small print, so even if someone was watching, I could fudge if I had to.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads