• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Seeking Players: 4E WotBS Campaign via FGII

Drazulfel

First Post
In mid-October (2010), I’d like to start an online War of the Burning Sky 4E campaign, using the Fantasy Grounds II virtual tabletop. Game sessions will be held twice monthly, on Saturday afternoons, eastern time (US). From this thread, I’d like to establish a solid, core group of players and alternates who, hopefully, over time will become long term gaming friends.

I’m shooting for the stars, and trying to pull together a great, balanced group of serious and like-minded players right from the start. I’ll detail my expectations and plans below. If you read this and think it makes me sound like a crazy, pompous jerk... well then, my game table probably isn’t for you. If you read it and get the impression that I’m a competent, organized DM who really has his act together... then my Bluff roll was higher than your Passive Insight, and you’ll have no choice but to consider joining me for some bi-monthly fun!

PLAYER EXPECTATIONS:

Supplies: You’ll need a copy of the PHB, a computer with a high speed internet connection, and a licensed copy of Fantasy Grounds II (lite, full, or ultimate). You are also welcome to use material from the PHB2, or the Adventurer’s Vault, though these references are optional.

Reliable:
If we settle on Saturday afternoon, server up at noon, and dice roll at 1:pM (actual times TBD), then be ready to start playing at 1:00. Don’t log in at 1:05 with PC sheet maintenance to do, lunch on the stove, house guests to see out, etc. If for any reason you need to cancel, give the group as much warning as possible, and take the initiative to find an alternate to run your PC for you.

Mature:
I’m pushing 40, with almost 30 years of RPG experience. That doesn’t mean that you need to be, too. I don’t care if you’re 16. But, I expect an adult temperament and demeanor from my players.

Capable:
Initially, you don’t need to be a 4E rules lawyer, nor a master of FG II mechanics. But, you should be able to comprehend and adhere to written instructions, and learn from demonstrated techniques without needing long term hand-holding and repeated explanations. You should have a general working knowledge of the 4E game system, and reasonable computer skills. At a minimum, you should come to the table with a solid grasp of your own PC’s capabilities and the associated metagame mechanics.

Literate:
If “wut up...... time 2 play?” is representative of your normal mode of communication, then with all due respect, this isn’t the game group for you. I’d like to be able to convert our FG II chat log into a Story Hour with as little editing as possible. You should have fair-to-moderate typing skills, as well as a decent grasp of English grammar, sentence structure, and spelling. We all make typos and occasionally slip into netspeak, but that should be the exception, not the norm.

Respectful:
In a group of this nature, you will most likely find yourself playing with folks from a different culture, ethnic background, age bracket, moral standard, or belief system than your own. Keep this in mind. Stay focused on having a fun gaming experience together, and avoid sociopolitical commentary. Personal attacks, vulgar language, and blatantly obscene remarks will not be tolerated.

Communication:
Most between-session business (XP awards, leveling up, session scheduling, Q&A, alternate recruiting, senseless banter, etc.) will be done on our Story Hour blog. Be prepared to check the blog frequently for updates, and respond to posts in a timely manner as a courtesy to the rest of the group (ie: check in at least every 2-3 days).

Integrity:
Since I’m recruiting on EN World, there’s a good chance that you’re a community supporter, and can go straight to the WotBS page, download the adventure, and read ahead. Don’t! You’ll only be ruining your own fun, and might possibly blow some surprises or challenges for the others. If you’ve read through the campaign in the past, cast Mind Wipe on yourself and unlearn what you have learned! While, as DM, I don’t intend to strong-arm all of the decisions made by the players, I do intend to run the adventure--for the most part--as written.

Flexible:
Part of the goal here is to have a balanced group, representing all of the character roles. Be willing to try something new if another player has already snagged your preferred role.

ALTERNATE PLAYER EXPECTATIONS:

Same as above, but add Patience: Weeks or months may go by without a chance to actively participate in a live game session. As an alternate, to be considered for a shot at the “big show,” you’ll be asked to keep up on reading and commenting on the Story Hour blog. This will ensure that you are up-to-date on the story, and prepared at a moment’s notice to fill in for one of the regular players should the need arise. You may occasionally have the opportunity to advance the storyline as an alternate, and even develop a character of your own, through between-session commentary on the blog.

THE PLAN:

I’m teaching a half-semester class from late August through early October. By the time that’s finished, I’d like to be ready to start playing within a week or two. My intent is to take the remainder of August, and the month of September to recruit and get to know players, establish character backgrounds, work on character creation, answer any questions, and iron out any kinks. Ideally, by the time we’re ready to roll dice in October, all of the players will already feel like long-time residents of Gate Pass.

If this style of campaign appeals to you, and my psychotic demands don’t scare you away, then respond to this thread or send me a PM here on EN World answering the following question: The Dungeon Master’s Guide defines eight different player personalities. They are listed and briefly described at the bottom of this post. Which kind of player do you consider yourself to be, and why? Additionally, let me know the best way to contact you (reply to thread, PM, or e-mail). Please allow 24-72 hours for a response.

After receiving your message, I’ll get in touch with you, and possibly (unless you come across as a knucklehead) set up a time to have a casual chat on a live Fantasy Grounds II session. This will accomplish several things:

1. It’ll help us get to know each other.
2. It’ll establish the fact that you’re able to connect to my FG II server without any issues.
3. It’ll give us a chance to further discuss our ideas and expectations for the campaign.
4. It’ll be a good chance to ask questions about--and receive a whirlwind tour of--Fantasy Grounds II and the 4E rule set, if necessary.

If, after our interview, we come to a mutual agreement, I will announce you as a player in this thread, supply you with any necessary files, and give you access to the Story Hour blog (The blog itself will be private. I’ll copy/paste the story to an EN World thread in the Story Hour forum for all to enjoy.). From that point forward, we can immediately start working together on your character creation. I’ll provide plenty of server up time for you to mess around, experiment, and get things just right.

Once we have five regular players, any subsequent interested parties will be eligible to go through the same process to become an alternate. In the event that a regular player is unable to make a scheduled game session, alternates will be given a chance to play based first on participation and visibility on the Story Hour blog, and second on seniority.

So there it is! I hope to see you soon in Ragesia!

~Draz

DMG Player Personalities

AN ACTOR . . .
? Provides PC background, emphasizing personality.
? Plays according to her character’s motivations.
? Prefers scenes where she can portray her character.
? Often prefers social encounters to fights.

AN EXPLORER . . .
? Seeks out new experiences in the game’s setting.
? Likes learning hidden facts and locating lost items and places.
? Enjoys atmosphere as much as combat and story.
? Advances the plot by being willing to move ever on.

AN INSTIGATOR . . .
? Likes to make things happen.
? Takes crazy risks and makes deliberately bad choices.
? Thrives in combat and dislikes having nothing to do.
? Takes decisive action when things grind to a halt.

A POWER GAMER . . .
? Optimizes character attributes for combat performance.
? Pores over supplements for better character options.
? Spends less time on story and roleplaying elements.
? Prefers combat to other kinds of encounters.

A SLAYER . . .
? Optimizes like a power gamer.
? Might pick simple options to get into the action quicker.
? Spends less time on story and roleplaying elements.
? Wants to fight monsters and take bold action all the time.

A STORYTELLER . . .
? Often provides an extensive background for his PC.
? Works hard to make sure his character fits the story.
? Likes dramatic scenes and recurring characters.
? Prefers adventures that include at least some plot.

A THINKER . . .
? Engages any challenge as a puzzle to be solved.
? Chooses her actions carefully for the best possible result.
? Is happy to win without action, drama, or tension.
? Prefers time to consider options over bold action.

A WATCHER . . .
? Shows up to be a part of the group.
? Helps calm disputes by not being as attached to the game.
? Often fills a hole in the PC group, facilitating the fun.

Drazulfel

First Post
It's been a fruitful first day of recruiting! Two player slots clinched, and a third possibility will be interviewed on Monday.

Welcome Joe from Jakarta, who will (most likely) be playing a human wizard! Also, Gaeldravis from Florida, who's thinking of being a dragonborn avenger.

William from Mississippi, I'll talk to you soon!

~Draz

Drazulfel

First Post
We're now up to 3 players. Welcome, William! If your college buddy is truly interested, please guide him my way.

Loki, I hope all is well with your family. I'll talk with you on Thursday.

I now have a copy of the PHB3, so I'm opening up those classes and races, as well.

~Draz

[EDIT]

We now have:
Human Wizard (Controller)
Razorclaw Shifter Avenger (Striker)
Shardmind Psion (Controller)

For the last two players, we'll need a Defender and a Leader.

Last edited:

Drazulfel

First Post
2 controllers wouldn't be awful, as long as our last 2 players represent the other 2 missing roles. But, if you have an interest in another class/role, go for it.

[EDIT]

I'm in negotiations with a fourth player prospect. Currently only via email, before he decides whether or not to pay for FGII. The character concept that we discussed was a Paladin, which is a Defender, but initial contact indicated that this player's style would also lend well to a Leader, so nothing is definite. Assuming things move forward with this new player, we'd have:

Joe: Controller or Defender
Gaeldravis: Striker, through and through
William: Controller
New Player: Defender or Leader
??: ??

I do have a fifth interview tentatively scheduled for Thursday evening. Plus, William indicated that he has a college buddy who is possibly interested in getting involved. So, we have three strong permanent players, and two and a half good possibilities. We're almost at a full party! Nothing's final until it's final, though. In fairness, those last two slots will be filled by the first two who are willing and able to commit.

Last edited:

joesys

First Post
I'll see what the fourth and fifth player wants to play first before committing to a role.

I guess assuming we can get all the required role fills up, I'll stay with my human wizard.

-Joe

joesys

First Post
Hi there,

A contruction crew has just severed the fiber optic line in Draz's neighbourhood. So he is out of internet for a couple of days.

Just want to let people know that he is not ignoring you.

Thanks,
-Joe

Drazulfel

First Post
And then there were five. Full, balanced party!

Gaeldravis from Florida - Avenger (Striker)
William from Mississippi - Ranger (Striker)
Lee from Australia - Paladin (Defender)
Joe from Jakarta - Wizard (Controller)
Vance from... uh... somewhere! - Warlord (Leader)

From this point forward, any other interested parties can still be interviewed and counted as possible alternates. Alts will have read access to the private campaign blog. Story elements of the campaign blog will be re-posted in the Story Hour forum here, on EN World.

Remove ads