DM Style vs. Player Style

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Considering players by type, heres my gaming group...

DM (Me) - Not a powerplayer. Prefers roleplay over combat, but when a fight starts I want the fight to be nasty and have the players worried for their characters.

Player 1 (Jay) - Roleplayer but not heavily so. Will play up whatever is the dominant aspect of his character without taking it too far. Enjoys roleplay and combat.

Player 2 (Gary) - Doesn't get into the game all that much. Sees it as a social thing more than a dedicated game. Twinks when he can but not excessively.

Player 3 (Dave) - Another social player. Happy with any game style, but is against powergaming. Likes to be the weird character, centre of attention.

Player 4 (Darren) - Powergamer and master twink. Unable to seperate hismelf from the rules. Cannot play heroic characters, must always play anti-heroes.

Player 5 (Mark) - Loves combat, gets bored with roleplay. Is a minor twink but not badly so.

Overall, though the group is fairly mixed, its a good group to run for. When my current campaign ends in a few weeks, Player 5 is going to lose his DM virginity and take over mantle of running for a while. Should be an interesting game...

CaptainCalico

Community Supporter
I find my DM style swings back and forth, happily so far in concert with my player's wants. We tend to play 5-6 sessions heavy role-playing and politics, then 2-3 sessions dungeon-crawl and/or puzzle-solving. Just about the time we get tired of one style we switch back to the other.

Remove ads