• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Tip Jar -- is that going too far?

Chaldfont

First Post
I'm going to start running monthly rpg sessions at a local game cafe with an open sign up. I considered sticking out a GM tip jar to help offset the costs of game books and supplies. I wouldn't make a big deal out of it and I certainly wouldn't hound people to tip.

If you played in a game and your GM put out a tip jar, would you be offended?

Kaladhan

First Post
I don't think I would be upset, but I would find that very odd. I would suggest instead a "pay the DM a drink" suggestion. For some weird reason, that would work better with me.

Crothian

First Post
I would laugh. Not at the DM but at the idea. I doubt I'd tip a DM though. The hobby can cost money but it doesn't have to. I can run a great game without all the extra books.

On the other hand I have no problem buying a book or other gaming materials for a friend who is a DM or Player. Just last month in one group I'm in we got one guy a full case of D&D minis and an out of print Star Wars books he's been wanting. It was his Birthday but this has been the only time we've ever done gifts for it.

So I'm not going to give a stranger DM some money who is asking/begging for it (depending on how one views the tip jar) but a DM or Player friend who has proven themselves I have no issue with getting them the occasional gift.

SteelDraco

First Post
I'm only playing with friends, so yes. Actually, I'd mock them, and then ignore it.

If it was more of an organized thing, going to a designated place at a certain time as part of an event, like you're describing, I don't think I'd be offended. Not sure how much I'd contribute, though it would be based on how well they ran the game.

Tewligan

First Post
I wouldn't be offended, but I would wonder if the DM was going to tip me in return to offset the cost of my PHB, my character miniature, any splatbooks I'm using, and the gas I used to get to the game. A tip jar is a ridiculous idea - don't do that.

And like SteelDraco, I would probably mock the hopeful DM, whether or not he was someone I knew.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Chaldfont said:
If you played in a game and your GM put out a tip jar, would you be offended?

I'd stick a "stab your buddy" sheet into it with some advice "tip". :p

However, if you're providing snacks and stuff in future sessions, you can ask everyone at the end of the 1st session if they are up to each pitching in a buck or two for you to provide snacks & drinks. I would.

sckeener

First Post
and while you are at it.....put on there your paypal account so people can tip electronically....

Kidding....

I fully endorse bribes/tips. I usually tell my players that if they bribe me they can have a 1 time reroll. Works quite well...I usually get bribed in food....

hazel monday

First Post
I used to charge players ten bucks a session. My rationale was that college was expensive, and so was my free time. With 5 players and me running 3 or 4 sessions a week, it was a pretty sweet part time job.But then I didn't need the money anymore. So I stopped. I'd also let players bribe me twenty bucks to go up a level regardless of XP.
I told them what the deal was straight up though. If I put out a tip jar, I don't think I would've gotten anything but funny looks.

Remove ads