• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Tricks to Challenge Tough PCs with Weaker Enemies

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
My own ideas

There are a large number of things you can do to your players with lower CR monsters that can make their lives miserable. The ones I will post here do not require adding HD or class levels.

Exploit Immunities:
If a creature is immune to a type of damage, then by all means exploit that immunity flagrantly. Undead are a good example. Skeletons are immune to cold. So if you create a room made of ice that inflicts cold damage every round, you can fill it with Skeletons, who will be unimpaired by this. In this kind of encounter, the monsters should do as much as they can to keep players in the room, rather then attack directly.

Pin Cushions:
Past a certain point, low HD monsters are better off using ranged weapons then they are going toe to toe. Attack, then move away, and repeat, but try not to exceed medium range. Use cover if you can to avoid counter archery. Also, make sure you focus your fire on the weakest link. The Atk bonus will already suck.

Non Standard Equipment:
There is not much that would prevent you from improving the gear of your typical bad guys. Upgrade the Armour as much as you can justify. Consider using a reach weapon instead of a regular weapon. You can create a door based choke point where once you go through the doorway, you are in a square threatened by 14 attackers. 5 immediately adjacent, and 11 using the reach weapons to attack from the 2nd row back. The guy entering the area does get +4 cover to his AC from the reach weapons, but who cares, you throwing an extra 11 attacks. Not all will miss. Also consider liberal use of poisoned weapons.

Difficult Terrain:
Low HD creatures do not lose as much in difficult terrain as higher level characters. The loss of a 5 foot step does not hurt so much, because you only had 1 attack anyway if your an Orc. But if your the 13th level Fighter, your losing the iterative attacks. If you have a reach weapon, the AoO cannot be avoided if someone moves adjacent. And if you attack at range, it takes them that much longer to reach you.

Tactical Traps: As someone else pointed out, a simple pit trap is one thing, but the same trap in a room with hostiles is an even bigger problem. Again, exploit immunities. Poison gas in a room full of zombies is just good news for the zombies.

Envelopment:
Whenever you can justify it, approach from more then one direction. It makes flanking easier, and it minimizes the chances of the encounter ending when someone says "I cast fireball".

Disease:
Consider making a point of using the disease rules more often, as opposed to only when a monster attack inflicts a disease. Ability damage from diseases scales better and is often more of a pain to get rid of then normal damage. And Orcs, Goblins, etc, are not exactly noted for their cleanliness.

And now some specific ideas.

Pit Trap of Watery Death:
Have a pit trap that is 10 feet deep, fulled with water, and a 50 pound steel grate that drops on top once someone falls in, settling just below the water. The poor bastard that falls in will have a few problems to deal with. First being that his feet do not touch the ground, so he cannot easily push the grate off the top. And since it is a grate, you can have monsters on top with spears to stab at him as he tries to lift the grate. Bonus points if you put some nasties in the pit with him to try to hold him under or otherwise attack him.

Troll Diving:
Even with regeneration, Trolls eventually reach a point where they no longer have the attack bonus to easily hit higher level PC's. But they still have a pretty good grapple check, and lots of strength. Bull rush the player off a cliff. Or, just grapple the player, then carry him to the edge of a cliff and jump. Trolls can heal from falling damage easily. Players not so much.

Poisoned Caltrops:
This is one of those ideas that you can read the heading and already know how its meant to work.

Mounted Archery:
As a harassment tactic, its perfect. Horses move fast, and you can shoot and move away as often as you need to, at least until you run out of arrows.

Strategic Withdrawl:
Combined with archery of some sort, this becomes very difficult to deal with. Engage your opponent, and get them to burn some buff spells. Then run away for about 10 mins, and return when the spells expire. Against players who use alot of Summon's and Buffs, this is very effective. Against Fireballs, not so much, what with the being too dead to run away. But as a rule, work out some criteria for when your low CR baddies will decide to bugger off. Running away when you have 20% losses is a workable hit and run tactic. Running away when your down to 20% of your initial forces means you waited a bit too long.

Support Tactics:
There are some very useful things you can do with the cannon fodder beyond simply attacking, or eating up a PC's attack. Setting up flanking attacks is obvious. Using Aid Another to improve attack rolls is also reasonably standard. But there are some other things you can also do. If the BBEG is good at using Disarm, a worthwhile tactic is to delay the cannon fodders action until after the BBEG. If the BBEG can disarm, then have the fodder pick up the disarmed weapon. If you can use magic items, then lay on some Cure spells from scrolls or wands onto your boss. If your boss gets his weapon disarmed or sundered, then give him yours. If the BBEG drops a player to 0 or less, then be a good little orc, and go for the Coup De Grace to finish him.

Be a Dick:
If the player dismounted to kill your boss, go steal or kill his horse. If there are hostages, have an Orc go and start killing them. If there are combustible objects in the room, set them on fire.

Prepared Cover Trap:
Have a static ambush location, with some archers set up behind a wooden barricde with spikes facing outward. Players like to charge into melee against archers. Have the space directly in front of the cover be a pit trap. When the guy who charged into melee falls in, roll / drop the cover in on top of him. If the pit was spiked, he should suffer 2d6 for falling in. He should suffer another 3d6 or so for having a 150 pound spiked object dropped on top of him, and will have difficulty getting out (Give it some arbitrary grapple check). Bonus points if you put poison on the spikes in the trap and on the cover.

That is all that comes to mind for now.

END COMMUNICATION

S'mon

Legend
I don't like the adversarial tone of most of this advice. I much prefer a "how would an orc plausibly defend its lair" article to a "How a GM can use advanced templated orcs to kill PCs" article. I think it's best to focus on tricks a monster might come up with, rather than on how to build the uber monster with the lowest CR per the RAW.

Darklone

S'mon said:
I don't like the adversarial tone of most of this advice. I much prefer a "how would an orc plausibly defend its lair" article to a "How a GM can use advanced templated orcs to kill PCs" article. I think it's best to focus on tricks a monster might come up with, rather than on how to build the uber monster with the lowest CR per the RAW.
Awww, come on, S'mon, we're the DMs. We're supposed to lose, but we may have fun doing so!

S'mon

Legend
Darklone said:
Awww, come on, S'mon, we're the DMs. We're supposed to lose, but we may have fun doing so!

I guess we all have fun in different ways. I like using 1 hit dice orcs to squelch uppity 10th level PCs, now and then. Adding Advanced hit dice & templates to max out monster power is too much like work. :)

Darklone

S'mon said:
I guess we all have fun in different ways. I like using 1 hit dice orcs to squelch uppity 10th level PCs, now and then. Adding Advanced hit dice & templates to max out monster power is too much like work. :)
My skeletons mentioned above would offer your orcs some of my whiskey if they could drink! :D

Wraith Form

Explorer
QuaziquestGM said:
No floor.

PCs have to cross a cavern ceiling to reach the treasure/mcguffin. Below is a bottomless pit.

Difficult terrain with many stalagtites, spiderwebs, holes for cetipeds to crawl out of....

Monsters: various virmin, piercers, anything with a climb speed and a good grapple. If you are grappled and your buddies kill the monster.....you'll take 20 d6 when you get to the bottom, in a day or two.
My player's 3rd level Dragon Shaman (copper) with Spider Climb unlimited/day can prolly handle this.

edit: Note to self: never ever allow dragon shamans into the game again. Stupid 'auras'.

Last edited:

Slife

First Post
QuaziquestGM said:
No floor.

PCs have to cross a cavern ceiling to reach the treasure/mcguffin. Below is a bottomless pit.

Difficult terrain with many stalagtites, spiderwebs, holes for cetipeds to crawl out of....

Monsters: various virmin, piercers, anything with a climb speed and a good grapple. If you are grappled and your buddies kill the monster.....you'll take 20 d6 when you get to the bottom, in a day or two.

Oh, good. I get time to reprepare my spells.

"How did you survive?"
"Fly, you fools.

mmadsen

First Post
S'mon said:
You may enjoy How would you defend your subterranean kingdom?, which explores this proposition:
Let's say you're a Goblin King ruling your Undermountain Kingdom. How would you defend it?​
For instance:
If you're a Goblin, and you're expecting attacks from Men, it only makes sense to play to your strengths and their weaknesses. Goblins are short; Men are tall. All ceilings should be four or five feet high; doors should be even shorter.

Goblins can see in the dark; Men can't. Obviously there should be no lanterns or torches and no windows or skylights to bring in light. Any sign of light is a sign of invasion. Traps and ambushes can rely on the fact that Men can only see so far in torch light.

Goblins show discretion; Men are fools who expect a square fight. Why stand and fight when you can throw down javelins from protected ledges? Why not drop terrible things from (and thrust short spears through) "murder holes"? Thick walls are cheap when you live in a mountain. The entire kingdom can work as a series of castle gate houses.

With a straight assault almost impossible -- no walls to topple or climb over, and deathtrap gatehouses at every approach -- you then have to worry about other siege techniques. Can they dig around your existing defended tunnels? It should take a long, long time, but if you can't sally forth to stop them, they'll go for it. So the wolfriders need a secret exit for counter attacks.

Can they flood you out or smoke you out? If you're going to live underground, take note of how those Men handle gophers and other underground enemies.​
Agback offered some excellent advice:
Another constraint to consider is that a goblin tribe is probably rather poor. They might have expensive one-shot defences for dire emergencies, but most of the defences will have to be rather cheap or else reusable.

A couple of obvious defences spring to mind:

1) The entrance tunnels and outer caverns should be defended through arrow slits and murder holes from spaces that are connected back into the secure areas, but which have no entrances into the areas they are defending. And each one should be covered by another one. That way any attackers will have to file past an arrow slit/murder hole, their pioneers will not be able to create a safe passage for the back up that follows them.

2) The complex should be divided into compartments that are sealed off by airtight doors or by water-filled U-passages so that we can't be smoked out. On the other hand, we ought to invest in [items that allow us to cast] gas spells like Stinking Cloud, and should install furnaces in which we can burn sulphur etc. to fill areas that have fallen to the enemy with poisonous and irritating smoke.

3) Tunnelling is extremely laborious, so we probably can't afford to collapse roofs too often. Nevertheless rigging chambers and tunnels so that we can collapse them is a good insurance policy against dire threats. The cheaper alternative (for use against lesser threats) is to rig some areas and tunnels so that we can flood them with water (water, ewspecially seeing that it need not be of potable quality, is much much cheaper than oil and available in larger quantities).

4) If we get lucky we might find that some of our tunnels collect firedamp. That's not much of a problem for us, because we don't need fire to see. But if we can either mislead humans into those tunnels or somehow introduce the firedamp into the tunnels they are in it ought to be good for a giggle.

5) Cheap and deadly. We're probably too poor to afford Fireballs and Cloudkills. But we can, for instance, breed wasps and poisonous centipedes. When an area is captured by the enemy, drop in a beehive or a bushel of black widows.

6) The enemy must attack through limited ground area. So let's drop tanglefoot bags or winchesters of cooking oil on the floor in bottlenecks, and cover the area through a pair of arrowslits.

7) Borrow neighbours' defences. We can construct tunnels into the lairs of monsters that are more powerful than ourselves, but that don't share an elf's ability to detect secret doors, or that are large to squeeze down our tunnels. When attacked, we decoy our enemies into the tunnels and let them fight it out with the neighbours. Or we build lairs and encourage dangerous beasts to settle in them.

8) Stagecraft. Use puppets, painted backdrops &c (instead of expensive illusions) to fool the attackers into firing off their spells.

9) Cultivate slimes and deadly fungi. Breed dangerous beasts in cages and release them into captured parts of the complex.

10) Install voice tubes. These can be used for quick discreet communications, and can also be used to eavesdrop into areas that have fallen to the enemy and in which they might be planning their next assaults.

11) No-one expects to find a 'trip'wire at 4'6" above the floor.

12) Keep hostages, and kill them at the slightest provocation.

13) If we manage to fight off an attack by terrorists, launch a reprisal against the community from which they staged their raid.

14) Go to some efforts to make sure that attackers cannot easily revivify their fallen or heal their injured. A reputation for irreversible deadliness will to some extent deterr aggression. So finish off their wounded, capture their fallen, and feed them to the wolves.

15) Be prepared to abandon our complex and escape through any of several tunnels we can collapse after we have passed. Better homeless than dead.​

two

First Post
spell combos

I have a weakness for basic spell combos, relatively low level.

Have 2 enemy caster do this at the same time.

Silence + Evards
Silence + Acid Fog

Silence + Evards + Wall of Fire (or another lingering damage spell)

Simple, and effective. Forces the PC's to do very different things, likely.

Slife

First Post
Also, automatically resetting magic missile magic traps are very effective for their cost. You don't have to buy too many before the force damage starts adding up.

Make it inflict light wounds if you have undead.

Basically, anything 0/1st level is good. Especially free buffs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads