• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DMG Errata — in which printing?

Oren

First Post
DMG Errata — in which printing?

The DMG errata available on WotC's website says "Recent printings of the book, starting with the third, include these changes."

However, I have the 3rd printing of the DMG in my hands, and it does not include the changes. It also does not say “This printing includes corrections to the first printing.”

Does anyone have a printing that incorporates the changes? Can you check its number? (Look at the last digit in the number line on the copyright page; e.g. 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 means 3rd printing.)

Thanks!

Those number don't have to refer to 'printing' on the errata type of 'printing' as in new files sent to the printer. They are impression numbers, if it is second printing or third printing, it will say so in words. I think! You can have 1st printing, then several impressions. More like print runs off same files.

EDIT: So does you DMG say, just above the numbers and below the ISBN Third Printing: XYZ Date? Mine says First Printing: December 2014

Last edited:

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Daddy
Your lucky Merric, I have perused a few stores but all the MM's Ive found are still the uncorrected ones. Did you get yours on amazon?

Oren

First Post
My MM is the corrected one. It's a third printing. I got it earlier this week from Esdevium Games in the UK.

Sqn Cdr Flashheart, the lowest digit in the number line does denote the printing number. The mention of when the first printing was is for historical purposes. While some publishers note the printing number in words and omit the number line (e.g. DC comics), most do it solely in the form of a number line (e.g. Marvel comics, WotC).

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I just checked our stock. The DMG 3rd imprint does have the notice about the corrections. At the moment I have no second imprints to check.

As someone who works in a bookshop and spends a fair amount of each day researching and listing books for sale online, I can shed a little light on this situation. A printing or impression is a run of X number of copies within an edition, but those X copies need not be identical. They might be printed in batches with slight differences, deliberate or otherwise, resulting from corrections, different ink, or different equipment at different printers. (Many publishers do not print their own books.) In such a case, we will also number states, but these are almost never identifiable by the title and copyright pages. We might, to give a few examples, look for an uncorrected typo on p. 246, check the author's other works advertised on the dustjacket, or look at a certain descender on a "y" or "q" on p. 103 which got damaged somewhere in the print run. There are guidebooks and websites dedicated to identifying "true firsts" or "first-firsts."

It sounds in this case like the corrections were submitted midway through the print run, so only later states will have them.

Last edited:

Remove ads