• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMG II Preview and Mearls old work

Walking Dad

First Post
Here a preview from the DMG II:

Chandelier
Single-Use Terrain
A large, ornate chandelier of iron and crystal hangs over the battlefield. It would be a pity if it fell to the ground.
Standard Action
Check: From a distance, to sever or loosen the rope or chain holding the chandelier aloft, make a ranged attack (the chandelier’s defenses are level + 5).
Alternatively, you can spend a standard action to cut the rope while adjacent to either the chandelier or the rope or chain keeping it aloft.
Success: The chandelier falls to the ground and smashes to pieces.
Target: Each creature in an area burst 1 beneath the chandelier
Attack: Level + 3 vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d8 + one-half level damage.
Miss: Half damage.
[FONT=&quot]Effect:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] The area where the chandelier fell becomes difficult terrain.[/FONT]

And here, from the Iron Heroes 'DMG':

Chandelier Crash (Nonreusable Action Zone):
With a successful base attack check (DC 20) made with a ranged weapon, you shoot the chandelier’s supporting rope or chain and send it crashing to the floor. Anyone standing in the four squares beneath it suffers 3d6 points of damage, though they can make a Reflex save (DC 15) for half damage. The four squares now count as difficult terrain. Obviously, once you destroy the chandelier, it’s useless. If candles on the chandelier are lit, targets may catch on fire (see page 52).

Back to the roots?

I hope so, the action zones were a great idea.

pascale

First Post
It is still good idea, and one that likely predates Mearls by a lot. I can't I'm surprised that WotC is recyling this as they have doing that since they began as a company.

I am however, a little confused. I though situations like were what page 42 in the DMG 1 were for? Or is in the DMG 2 becuase WotC that DM aren't creative enough on their own to think that being able to drop a chandelier or whatever would cool? Maybe they just don't know what else to put in it and a looking to fill pages? I also the beauty of pg 42 was that it could be applied to well, anything. Guess they specific, becuase general doesn't sell as many books.

I find the implementation to be kinda, well 4e. Why would a chandelier become harder to take down for a higher level party then a lower level party? Or is level referring to the level of the chandeleer, and in that case how does on determine the level of a chandelier?

Engilbrand

First Post
I think that they're just giving more examples of what's possible. I don't know that I would have thought to give a burst effect. The more things that can just be dropped into the game the better.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
Level-appropriate chandelier damage. Awesome. Don't be surprised to see t-shirts at next year's Gencon with "I killed Orcus with a chandelier!" written on them.

It is still good idea, and one that likely predates Mearls by a lot. I can't I'm surprised that WotC is recyling this as they have doing that since they began as a company.

I am however, a little confused. I though situations like were what page 42 in the DMG 1 were for? Or is in the DMG 2 becuase WotC that DM aren't creative enough on their own to think that being able to drop a chandelier or whatever would cool? Maybe they just don't know what else to put in it and a looking to fill pages? I also the beauty of pg 42 was that it could be applied to well, anything. Guess they specific, becuase general doesn't sell as many books.

I find the implementation to be kinda, well 4e. Why would a chandelier become harder to take down for a higher level party then a lower level party? Or is level referring to the level of the chandeleer, and in that case how does on determine the level of a chandelier?
Some people are not so great at improvising. Sometimes you want to have a way to "suggest" stunts. I think this is a neat approach.

Consider it something like the MM equivalent for stunts - the guideliens for creating monsters are in the DMG, but still people like to see a WotC made stat block for Demogorgon and Admantine Dragons.

DasachTra

First Post
Sounds like this could be a very good addition to the game.

In the past, I've had to come up w/ a ruling on a whim and decide what it will do. I never tell my players no. If they want to try something, I come up w/ a DC and let them roll...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads