• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMing Marathon Sessions?

rusty2667

First Post
Our group meets infrequently, but the sessions are pretty lengthy (once a month for 8 hours with breaks). So far this has worked surprisingly well. The players that are susceptible to mentally checking out are engaged throughout the three sessions we’ve had (I’m making a concerted effort to keep these players engaged and it seems to be working).

Unfortunately, we won’t be able to meet this month. The players now want to make the next sessiona two day event.

Any advice on how to approach this? Anything I should avoid?

Thanks

Mod Note: Removed formatting that made this difficult to read on the black forum skin. Hope that's acceptable. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

Quickleaf

Legend
Our group meets infrequently, but the sessions are pretty lengthy (once a month for 8 hours with breaks). So far this has worked surprisingly well. The players that are susceptible to mentally checking out are engaged throughout the three sessions we’ve had (I’m making a concerted effort to keep these players engaged and it seems to be working.

Unfortunately, we won’t be able to meet this month. The players now want to make the next sessiona two day event.

Any advice on how to approach this? Anything I should avoid?

Ah, those were the days! We used to do something similar over thanksgiving a few times and it was a blast. You just need to prepare a lot more as a DM! I recall when I DMed that gathering the last time I chose a tighter theme than normal - suspense/mystery - and played it to the hilt.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Make sure you are fit and healthy and have a decent amount of sleep and exercise in the week leading up to the weekend. Ditch the soft drinks and plastic food and try and eat well, and definitely increase your fruit intake.

rusty2667

First Post
I recall when I DMed that gathering the last time I chose a tighter theme than normal - suspense/mystery - and played it to the hilt.

I'm thinking of making the first day tighter since I already know the player's general choices.

The second day will probably be more difficult since I won't have a month to plan for it.

Make sure you are fit and healthy

Heh, I made the mistake of drinking too many rum/cokes in the last session. Won't do that again.

P.S.
Mod Note: Removed formatting that made this difficult to read on the black forum skin. Hope that's acceptable. ~Umbran
Posting here is kind of wonky right now. Anybody else having problems?

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Have a handful of random encounters ready. In case the action slows down, in case the party goes a way you didn't expect (and you need a moment to plan), or in case people are itching for a fight.

Don't be afraid to call a break. If the PCs take an unexpected course of action, calling for a half hour break so you can prep something may be better than winging it (unless you're great at improvising).

Have fun!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads