• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM's: Are you afraid to kill PC's because of how players might react?

Are you afraid to kill PC's because of how the other Players might react?

• Yes. My players strike me as somewhat unstable.

Votes: 13 4.9%
  • Yes. It would ruin the continuity of the game

Votes: 39 14.6%
  • No

Votes: 200 74.6%
  • Other: please post

Votes: 16 6.0%

• Poll closed .

Dragonbait

Explorer
I had one group that would yell if somnething didn't go right. They would throw temper tantrums, get mad, call me names behind my back, and so on. I was scared of them.

After that group disbanded, where I think 3 characters died in 4 years, I became known as a PC killer. I'm probably lienient on the characters compared to average, and only have 20 skull 'n crossbones on my GM screen, accumulated in about 3 years. Still, it was nothing like that other group..

lukelightning

First Post
I'm sometimes afraid of killing PCs because who knows what hideous twinked-out monstrosity the player will come up with for his next character. ;)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Emirikol said:
Are you afraid to kill PC's because of how players might react?
I'll admit to having on occasion to grit my teeth and brace for the coming storm when a PC dies, but that doesn't stop me killing 'em.
Also, post if you actually have the following rules in your house rulebook:
1. Replacement character rules (how much x.p. and how much g.p. they start with)
2. Whether or not a dead PC's items are buried with them or if the party gets to loot the body
3. Rules for switching characters without PC death.
I have no hard-and-fast rules for any of these. 1 I just wing, 2 is up to the party at the time, and 3 is up to the players, though it has to make in-game sense e.g. you can't arbitrarily switch characters in the middle of nowhere.

Is it true that people without cut and dried rules in these regards are more likely to be afraid to kill PC's?
Not here. :)

Lanefan

Vuron

First Post
I generally have no problem killing characters but with raise dead (resurrection, etc) it rarely seems to be a long term problem.

For the most part they can either get raised (if the party has access to the spell) or the player can replace the character with another of the same level -1 just like the effects of a raise dead spell.

If the PC has had a long run of bad luck (several deaths in a short period of time) and they are a couple of levels back from the rest of the party I generally let them come back as a character level equal to the party average -1.

I generally let the PC choose between looting the existing character's body or giving him an allowance appropriate for his level.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Emirikol said:
Are you afraid to kill PC's because of how players might react?

Also, post if you actually have the following rules in your house rulebook:
1. Replacement character rules (how much x.p. and how much g.p. they start with)
2. Whether or not a dead PC's items are buried with them or if the party gets to loot the body
3. Rules for switching characters without PC death.

Is it true that people without cut and dried rules in these regards are more likely to be afraid to kill PC's?

jh

PCs sometimes die and most rolls of the dice (except those that must be secret) happen in front of the players. New characters can jump in as soon as they are ready at the same level as the lowest level member of the party (it's rare that the party isn't all of the same level). Most players opt to either send PC equipment back to the family or bury iconic equipment with the fallen. Some items of group import are passed along to the group, as are one-shot items (scrolls, potions, etc.) or very minor items. As DM, I adjust for the slight influx of extra items as necessary.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
One point: I don't kill PCs. Dice and bad tactical decisions kill PCs. (Mostly dice.)

If a player likes a PC, they'll get a resurrection or the like. They have the funds.

I've also got good players, so I'm not worried about juvenile reactions.

So, no, I'm not really afraid to kill them. :)

Cheers, -- N

Ourph

First Post
It seems like there is always at least one player in every group I've played with who thinks their character should be invulnerable. I wouldn't say I'm afraid to kill their character but it does always seem to touch off a period of inter-group conflict that's not very pleasant. I have not found that having rules about generating new characters negates the conflict, so I would say it doesn't affect my willingness/unwillingness to kill off said player's character. However, it's something that I normally do anyway as a courtesy to the players when I'm running.

lukelightning

First Post
Ourph said:
It seems like there is always at least one player in every group I've played with who thinks their character should be invulnerable.

Luckily, the only times I've encountered something like this is when a player is roleplaying this assumed invulnerability. "I'm a mighty barbarian/cleric of Moradin and no stupid plant monster will stop me!"

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I don't try to kill my PC's, that's not really fun at all.
What's fun is when they're on the brink of it, when a situation has just taken that left turn into sucksville and then the PC's pull through and turn the tables.

But am I afraid to kill PC's because how they might react? No. If I have a gamer at my table who'd react poorly because of a dead PC, I dont think I'd want him or her at my table for long.

OF course that also depends on what's meant by "react poorly".

diaglo

Adventurer
no. the player characters drive the campaign. but if they die. they die. it is up to the group to decide what to do with the dead.

either thru ahead of time character interactions. or on the spot decision making.

yeah, the players like their characters and want to continue the story. but they need to haggle that out with the group. not me.

i make rulings on their actions and the rules that govern them.

diaglo "old style referee" Ooi

Remove ads