• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMs, Do you allow your group(s) to play Evil PCs and/or parties, & why?

DMs, Do you allow your group(s) to play Evil PCs and/or parties, & why?

• Yes - any alignment from the PHB is fair game.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • No - Only goodly aligned PCs are allowed.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Shades of grey - Only goodly aligned & Neutral PCs are allowed

Votes: 57 50.0%
  • Pitch Black - Only evil PCs are allowed.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I don't use "Alignment" in my game

Votes: 9 7.9%

Cyberon

First Post
Basicly i allow the players to play either an evil group with allowance for a Neutral Good, or a god group with allowance for a single Neutral Evil character..

Any other mixing of alignment leads to conflict.. and even allowing a single character of Neutral Evil/Good causes some conflicts if the group contains any of the extreme Good/Evil alignments.

Ziggy

First Post
I voted shades of gray.

In my experience a too big aligment spread in the party will cause it to break up, especially along the good-evil axis.

.Ziggy

IceBear

Explorer
Ziggy said:
I voted shades of gray.

In my experience a too big aligment spread in the party will cause it to break up, especially along the good-evil axis.

.Ziggy

Same here. I know that intelligence is a factor, but in the end if someone is *accurately* playing their alignment there is going to be conflicts among the good and evil PCs that will lead to party dissolution. I like the party to stay together for the long haul.

IceBear

Tom Cashel

First Post
I voted "shades of grey." Neutrality is fine by me, as a DM or as a player. Hello again, Rub!

Magic Rub said:
My philosophy for D&D alignments has always "generally" been that "Good & Evil" are merely a perception based on ones goals, & morals in relation to another persons goals, & morals.

I completely disagree with this. My philosophy of the real world is what you've stated above.

In D&D, "good" and "evil" are absolutes. You have to do quite a bit of houseruling to make it otherwise, which I imagine you have done.

So, if I am playing an "evil" character in your campaign, I would feel that I am justified in whatever actions I take to promote my cause, because I believe that it is "good" for me and mine? If you're going to make it relativistic, why bother having alignments at all? Why not just have a personality for each individual character?

Vaxalon

First Post
There's enough moral ambiguity in the world, I don't want it in my game, too. I require that the PC's be heroes... which pretty much lets out any evil alignments.

Some of the PC's have got peccadilloes, however. One of them hates her own culture with a vengeance, but otherwise is a decent person.

Magic Rub

First Post
Vaxalon said:
There's enough moral ambiguity in the world, I don't want it in my game, too. I require that the PC's be heroes... which pretty much lets out any evil alignments.

Some of the PC's have got peccadilloes, however. One of them hates her own culture with a vengeance, but otherwise is a decent person.

So question, If she meets up with (good) people of her own culture & some type of conflict happens (some one gets killed). Is her "Goodness" in question. "hates her own culture with a vengeance" is not a Good choice for a PC "peccadilloes". Hates Orcs, hates evil liches, hates Sea Bass are all good but your own kind. Sounds like someone is on a dark path.

Tom Cashel

First Post
I'd say yes, absolutely, in that situation the character's goodness would be in question. But it leads to interesting role-playing: does the character attempt to atone (preserving the goodness) or keep walking toward the "dark side"?

Magic Rub

First Post
Re: Re: DMs, Do you allow your group(s) to play Evil PCs and/or parties, & why?

Tom Cashel said:
why bother having alignments at all? Why not just have a personality for each individual character?

The PCs, & NPCs in your group don't have personalities as well as alignments?
*Snicker* sorry ;)

Tom Cashel

First Post
I can only assume that post is an example of what passes for "maturity" in your game. Thanks for getting me involved in what I thought was a fine discussion and then pissing me off.

Have fun!

[EDIT]

Last edited:

IceBear

Explorer
This is getting pointless. In the D&D world "evil" and "good" are distinct things. They aren't moral states of mind like in real life. That's why you can detect someone as being evil or good with a spell.

Obviously, Tom isn't saying that his PCs and NPCs don't have personalities he is just stating that the way alignments are defined in D&D, these alignments define a personality.

If you want to create a "good" character with an "evil" personality trait that's just a hook for good role playing.

IceBear

Last edited:

Remove ads