• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM's: Do you have one player in your group you'd like to give the boot?

amazingshafeman

First Post
Not a single player so match as the group dynamic with that player. Simplest solution was to split the group. The tactical wargamers get a session all to themselves that's full of chaos, little roleplaying, and about one combat encounter a night. The roleplayers get a seperate session to do what they want. The tactical game isn't always a go, but the day is reserved for a group dinner. The RP game always goes when we get together, but that's been about once a month, lately. *shrug* Works out for our schedules and no one loses a friend. Why is this thread listed as humor, btw?

Emirikol said:
DM's: Do you have one player in your group you'd like to give the boot? Doesn't it always seem like there's just one person who you'd like to grab by the undie-strap and toss out into the dumpster?

I've got this one guy. He's a friend, so it's complicated, but cripes, there's some games I'd just like to...

Your experiences?

jh

I had a group like that. It had multiple DMs, so no one had the authority to kick this person out, plus they were intimidating and "emotionally fragile" and so forth.

I ended up finding a new group and am much happier. It helps if you only hang out with the first group for gaming, though.

Merkuri

Explorer
Hussar said:
Yeah, I have had that in the past. The one guy who's always late, who isn't paying attention and is just bad enough to be irritating but not bad enough to get the heave.

Yeah, we play online and Hussar had a rule for a while that if you were absent 3 times without notice or a really good excuse afterwards you got the boot. And if you were a half-hour or more late it counted as an absence. It helped us sort through the huge percentage of online players who don't take the game seriously.

At one point when going through the WLD our regular scout died and the player wanted to try something different, so the role of scout fell to the new guy in the group. We went through something like three players in the role of scout before finding a good player (who is still in the group). Sometimes you could tell Hussar was just itching to find an excuse to kick the new player out, because when you send the scout ahead to do some scouting and it takes them five minutes to respond each time the DM's asks for a roll or waits for the player to move his mini forward it can get very boring for those of us waiting for the scout to get back and report.

BeholderBurger

First Post
Player issues

Yes I do. I know exactly the problem your having. I have a player/friend who has been a right pain recently. Over time he has become bullying, obnoxious, loud and interupting, he isn't a very good roleplayer, in fact he has stopped playing in character altogether and he likes to pick up on other players decision making and ridicules the choices they make openly. He Basically he has become a nightmare. Being a long term friend makes it awkward to just get rid of him or to approach it head. Luckily it is difficult to arrange games with everybody's working patterns so I can manufacture a situation were we play without him but it can't go on for ever and I can see it coming to a head in the not too distant future. Doesn't matter how long you postpone it, it will come to a head. /Emperor's voice "It is inevitable"

Last edited:

Shadeydm

First Post
I really like my current group although everyone has the occasional bad night and sometimes personalities clash but nothing remarkable.

No there isn't anyone I want to give the boot to.

dpetroc

First Post
I have one guy who can't remember not only what happened last game session, but what happened five minutes ago. He takes all reversals personally (regardless of the fact that others have suffered far worse than he), and to top it off is a min-maxing minor league rules lawyer. Refuses to accept 'in game' realities as well. I've 'chatted' with him about this, and he has promised improvements. If I don't see them, he might get disinvited. Problem is that it will leave us down to three players, only two of whom are regularly reliable. Recruitment has been problematic in my area. So... it's a real challenge to dump him and keep the campaign momentum going.

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Too many times. :(

Had one guy who was a total cheater. We put up with him for about 6 months then booted him and his brother after they started a real punch up at the table (never did find out why).

Another guy was a total powergamer who detracted from everyone else's enjoyment of the game. It got to a point where it affected people's attitudes towards him away from the games table. Unfortunately, though he was a good friend, the majority vote was to ask him to leave.

Sadly it does happen.

Mallus

Legend
Absolutely not.

I have a great group of guys I DM for, and it was the company of the people I played with that kept me going to the campaign where I ran a PC.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads