• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMs Don't Kill PCs. PCs kill PCs.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Leopold said:
with a 6ft great sword is not always the best policy..

in the end they prefer charging into a glorious, albiet stupid, end instead of talking...
I have a player who's a bit like that... Some of his characters tend to commit criminal or murderous actions without thinking of the consequences.
As soon as he realizes that the powers that be will strike him down soon, though, he accepts his error and moves on (without even wanting to play out the final battle) - with some regret, of course. :p

Last edited:

Methinkus

First Post
At the same time you guys realize that sometimes DM’s are just frustrated by the fact that they have no power in realityland and are thus compelled to act like arrogant bitter little control freaks during the game, never mind whether or not anyone ELSE is having any fun at all. Now I’m getting bitter . . . what a jerk . . .

Junebug

First Post
eXodus said:

dms don't kills pcs. pcs kill pcs.

beware the killer pcs!

Ditto...

Just 3 sessions (or so) after our Cleric ranted for 3 hours when the summoner's magmin heat damage finished of his (the summoner's player's) wife's unconcious fighter, the aforementioned cleric blasts the same (resurrected, but again unconcious - don't ask) fighter with a sound burst. :p He didn't kill her, but it was dumb luck that he didn't.

-Sorry about the run-on sentence.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Methinkus said:
At the same time you guys realize that sometimes DM’s are just frustrated by the fact that they have no power in realityland and are thus compelled to act like arrogant bitter little control freaks during the game, never mind whether or not anyone ELSE is having any fun at all. Now I’m getting bitter . . . what a jerk . . .

having fun is the key. BUT! We dm's play by the same rules as the pc's do. A LG PC should NOT be charging into a room full of small orc babies wiping them out without cause or heed. A CG player should NOT be masacring a town or burning down villages even it's for the 'greater good'. There are boundries that pc's cross and they don't know it and that's where us dm's come in. We by all means encourage fun but play by your alignment or we will be more than happy enough to change it for you...

Zerovoid

First Post
Sunless Citadel, in the basement.

The party opens the door and see's a bugbear. They're killed alot of goblins and bugbears and stuff lately without any problem. Bugbear mocks PC's, "If you're really so tough, give me a fighting chance, and send forth your champion."

The cleric of Tempus agrees to to duel.

The party's wizard says, "I ready and action to cast ice knife on the bugbear if the cleric goes down."

Ice Knife is a spell from Relics and Rituals. You throw a dagger of ice at an enemy for 2d4 damage, and 1 point of damage from ice shards to all within 5'.

Well, the bugbear gets a crit, knocking the cleric to -9. Bam, ice knife. One less cleric of tempus.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Zerovoid said:
Sunless Citadel, in the basement.

The party opens the door and see's a bugbear. They're killed alot of goblins and bugbears and stuff lately without any problem. Bugbear mocks PC's, "If you're really so tough, give me a fighting chance, and send forth your champion."

The cleric of Tempus agrees to to duel.

The party's wizard says, "I ready and action to cast ice knife on the bugbear if the cleric goes down."

Ice Knife is a spell from Relics and Rituals. You throw a dagger of ice at an enemy for 2d4 damage, and 1 point of damage from ice shards to all within 5'.

Well, the bugbear gets a crit, knocking the cleric to -9. Bam, ice knife. One less cleric of tempus.

beautiful!!!

Numion

First Post
Methinkus said:

How dare you! A lightning bolt strikes you from the sky, and you're DEAD! I'm the DM! Dammit!

;)

madriel

First Post
Ahh...the memories.:mad:

Our party was ambushed by a tribe of hill giants. Who weren't trying to kill us, they just wanted us to surrender or they'd wipe out the town where we were deputy guards.

So, rather than do the smart thing and pretend to go along until an opportune moment, our No Retreat No Surrender Party Hotheads decide to charge.

The paladin died. Two summoned creatures bought it. My cleric barely got off a Heal spell in time to save the barbarian before dying herself later in the round.

We only avoided a TPK because we were being tracked by people trying to thank us for saving a sacred animal. Which we'd saved at my insistence. If the party hotheads had gotten their way and their roast venison for dinner, they wouldn't've helped us.:rolleyes:

So, yeah, PCs do kill PCs.

adndgamer

First Post
Leopold said:
my pc's call me the player-killer DM, one guy remarked that he had never played with a DM that is out to kill PC's. I simply tell him "I don't kill you, You kill yourself." I gave them a nice long lecture on how running away is an option as well as parlaying. Arguing with someone with a 6ft great sword is not always the best policy..

That's kind of the same with my party. Now once in my campaign there was this 20ft tall demon-type guy, holding what would be around a 10ft long flaming sword, and surrounded by lesser minions, and the players are angry at me for killing them when they decided to attack after I made it quite clear that they were outgunned. (I even told them out of character that they might want to consider running and NOT fighting in this bout)

Usually there's at least one intelligent player that decides to run (sooner or later -- usually sooner if they wish to live), and that player lives.

Remove ads