• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMs: How do you prepare for a session?

Acid_crash

First Post
We seem to have a lot of DM threads on here, so here's another one for us to ponder.

For all of you DMs and potential DMs, what steps do you take when you prepare for your game sessions? How about how do you prepare for your campaigns?

Galethorn

First Post
I usually start out by coming up with a concept for the session/adventure, like "there's an abbey with evil monks who kill travellers with dark magic," and then come up with a set of notes for things like enemy stats, personalities for various NPCs, things various NPCs might be expected to know about, and, 'most' importantly, rough maps.

Now, sometimes I'll also make a prop (a rough treasure map on parchment, for example), or draw a picture of a particular place or item, or whatever.

Occasionally, I'll also make encounter maps and/or dungeon maps, depending on the session or adventure.

IronWolf

blank
As a DM I try to read through any materials I may be using for the upcoming session. I make notes on highlights or things I need to remind myself of. I will also prep the encounters in DM Genie or index cards depending on the mood I am in. Given enough time I will re-read through notes and materials I am using to keep it all that much fresher in my head.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I consloidate several pages of brainstormed ideas and statblocks to useable information. consider descriptions for the NPCs that will be involved, and thier likely reactions to PCs.

I draw out rough or detailed maps and do a rough key of locations/or flowchart with scenes.
In complicated multi-spellcaster battles I will plot out the first 2 rounds of actions, and figure buff spell modifcations. I make contingeny plans on how to adjust encounters if my least reliable player does'nt show up, and figure out 1-3 likely paths that lead away fom the adventure, just incase PCs wander off in a differernt direction. Or move through the planned stuff quickly. I print out a copy of the previous game's summary. Lastly I bag up the core books, plus if im using it, the CArc or XPH (these are the only books the host family doesn't have) with dice, battle mat and campaign notebook.

Crothian

First Post
My game is a string of plotlines. I prepare by figureing out where the plot lines are going. It is up to the PCs to follow whatever plotline they want or to even make their own. When plotlines lead to a module (I like using modules) I fully prep the module. THis means I rip it apart and redefine everything I need to to make the module fit my campaign world and campaign.

I also insert little encounters specifically for certain PCs. I try to give everyone some but some players make it easier to do then others.

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
Hmm.

PRE-GAME-SESSION

1. Read over what has happened so far/Curse life for giving me such players.

2. Sit in silence thinking about what interesting plot elements I can integrate into my current themes of sacrifice, heroism, and black mystery/ Giggle insanely as I find a way to really get back at the munchkin who killed my last bad guy with two hits.

3. Brainstorm new ideas or adapt new ideas/gratuitously steal the plotlines from old Kurosawa films.

4. Read and re-read certain relavent parts of the setting/ Curse life for giving me such players.

5. Write new plot lines in theoretically loose but actually tight and highly emotionally charged scenes, with multiple loosely scripted ending, allowing player choice and consequence/ Play Arrgh!Marky the Railroad Engineer as I drive the players to their fated heroic act.

6. Read adventure, become pleased with effort. Contemplate writing novels./Dread the expressions of waiting gamers. Conemplate writing novels, so as to get away from players.

GAME SESSION

1. Players arrive. Allow social talk to wind down./Tell them to shut the hell up, I've got a headache and a burning need to throw dragons at them.

2. Watch players begin to slowly hook themselves onto the interesting plot. Supply extra bait as required. Throw spinners (Curve balls for you Yanks) and medium-pace, carefully keeping track of players emotions and PC's hitpoints. Allow each PC to shine in one brief but important moment. / Give obvious baited line. Grow angry if they turn their nose up, realising the sharpened hook. Disallow new player abilities. Cheat incessantly and obviously. Grow angry at player inattention.

3. Watch players smile and thank you for a good game./Watch confused, bored and annoyed players nod and fail to give specific availability times.

END

Somewhere in between, I think. I've had both at various times :D.

WilliamAndersen

First Post
Hi all,

Having long ago given up on the hope/belief that I can accurately predict what direction my players will take their characters (even after 18 years of us gaming together, their creativity continues to suprise me... which, of course makes it challenging and more fun), my preparation for each game is very flexible.

I focus on the NPCs in the area: how they feel about the PCs, what their goals are, how they are planning to go about trying to attain their goals, etc.

My hope is to provide the PCs with realistic NPCs (friend, neutrals and enemies) to interact with, and a 'living world' that the PCs can constantly impact. What they do this session is going to not only affect their own goals, but is also going to affect the NPCs and how they feel about the PCs. The players have learned that doing a certain task can pay dividends well beyond the gold and loot from that adventure... helping the right NPC can bring much help in the future... helping the wrong NPC can bring about the wrath of those they did not wish to offend... that sort of thing.

I have always preferred GMing to being a player since I got to play a huge variety of characters in the same game... and that is convenient, since the others in the group have expressed that they much prefer to play than GM.

William
ComStar
Publishers of content for d20, Action!, Fudge and soon the Hero System
http://www.comstar-media.com

devilbat

First Post
I use a Read, Plot, Plan, method.

I read all the background info. Previous games notes, location descriptions, etc..

I plot the scenerios, combats, encounters. This is generally a three day portion of my prepping. I do it everywhere, while driving, while playing hockey, while attending dull functions.

Then I plan, which means I put the stat blocks together, design the traps, drw the maps, etc...

Works for me.

StupidSmurf

First Post
Pre-Game Prep:

Five days before:
1. Adjust adventure to reflect changes wrought by PCs actions in the previous session.
2. Tweak anything needing it.

Three days before:
1. Send out recaps to players recounting the previous session.
2. Remind them of the time/location of next session.

Two days before:
1. Read up on adventure again.
2. Read any 3.5 rule-based books within reach, as a sort of refresher, as I try to cram the same exposure from 20 years of 1st/2nd Editions rules knowledge into the past 3 years. :)

Night before:
1. Read any 3.5 rule-based books within reach, as a sort of refresher, as I try to cram the same exposure from 20 years of 1st/2nd Editions rules knowledge into the past 3 years. :)
2. My wife (who also plays in our campaign), initiates Make The DM Happy And Agreeable maneuvers, so that my mood the next day is pleasant, and less character deaths result.

Game day:
1. Clean up living room (or make the kids do it)
2. Bring out all miniatures and books into "my spot". Inevitably, someone during the course of the game will ask for a book I didn't pull out.
3. Pour myself a very large whiskey and ginger ale in my official Green Lantern tumbler
4. Pull out the required dice from the Crown Royal bag.
5. Game!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads