• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM's: How many PC's getting raise-dead'/resurrections in your campaigns?

DM's: How many raise-dead'/resurrections per campaign?

• Poll closed .

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
In my 1e game, dozens; more if I include several mass-retrieval wishes they've had done over time.

In the 3e game I play in, maybe 15-20, but there's been fewer deaths as the campaign hasn't run as long.

The ratio is about the same, I think...I'd guess that for every 10 PC deaths there's maybe 6-7 revivals once the parties get past about 4th level.

Lanefan

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
The party is 9th Level.

Party = 4 + 1 Cohort

Deaths = 4
Raise Deads = 2
Insanities = 1
Left Party = 3

It's RttToEE I'd expect more than a couple of Raises in the future.

In the Spring of 1978 while playing White Box OD&D (PHB arrived at GenCon '78) was the first and last time my group and I allowed Raise Dead. Not only did death 'lose it's sting' but the suspension of disbelief was broken for us. It just didn't fit our collective phantasy. Looking back I would say that precise moment was the birth of Grymwurld.™

Since then, there has not been a single player who complained at the lack of Raise Dead et al. Not a single one.

As an aside, I play Diablo II: LoD with a couple of my buddies from way back when. We play Hardcore Ladder (death is permanent and the world gets respawned every year).

In the interest of full disclosure I should mention that there was one adventure where two brothers went down into the Netherworld to negotiate the release of a brother who was murdered by an assassin. Serapis gave them a quest which they succeded in fulfilling and thus their brother returned to the land of the living.

There was also the case of a friar who first came back from the dead as a wereraven and then later as a shade. When the BBEG was finally destroyed the friar was able to rest in peace.

Lordgrae

First Post
Quite a few (7-9), but my Raise Dead rules are modified, (No XP/Con loss, -2 max hp, cost 500gp/HD).

So, for the most part, dieing is less of a problem in my campaign, though it happens more often.

rgard

Adventurer
Emirikol said:
DM's: How many raise-dead'/resurrections per campaign?

This poll goes hand in hand with, "How many PC's do you kill per campaign?".

Compared to deaths, how many raises/res'es are happening in your campaigns?

jh

I prefer Dread Warrior creation to raise dead/resurrection.

Nyeshet

First Post
I didn't vote, as the answer depends too greatly upon the nature of the campaign.

A high level campaign with a strong religious connection will have perhaps a few, but otherwise the answer is rare (maybe once) or none at all.

I raised the level of Raise Dead, Resurrect, Reincarnate two levels each. True Resurrection does not exist.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I voted "None", but it's not because I don't kill them; and it's not because I disallow "death-correcting" spells.

It's because my players don't want their PCs to come back from the dead.

Is that strange?

-- N

Laman Stahros

First Post
Nifft said:
I voted "None", but it's not because I don't kill them; and it's not because I disallow "death-correcting" spells.

It's because my players don't want their PCs to come back from the dead.

Is that strange?

-- N
Not in my experience. I have run campaigns for 28 years so far and have yet to have a character brought back. Stingy players, I think. :D

Crysmalon

Explorer
Generally speaking, my campaigns treat all Raise Dead-type spells as very XP&GP-costly with the added barrier of roleplaying with the church/entity and needing to perform some task in compliance with the religion's alignment/mission. so...in my last few campaigns, PC death is death and new pcs are rolled up

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads