• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dms keeping player experience points secret

sniffles

First Post
All of the GMs I play with keep XP amounts secret and just tell the players when we level up. I really have no idea what amounts are required to increase a level because I've never needed to know. I don't know how much XP any monster is worth. However, if I did know it would have no effect on my roleplaying; I would not start attacking things just because I only need 100 more XP to reach the next level. Leveling up is part of the fun, but it's not the purpose of the game for me.

I came to D&D from non-level-based systems and was accustomed to getting a chance for skill increases every game session or two, rather than having to wait weeks or months for a chance to improve my character. I've adapted to not knowing where I'm at in d20 games, and I just go with the flow. I'd rather not have to keep track of my experience. It would just remind me how far I am from my next improvement. This way leveling up comes as a pleasant surprise, like an unexpected gift. :D

Space monkey

First Post
My current DM Gives out our XP Total at the end of the sessions. so we Don't know during play. this is a balence between hidden and given after each encouter. I think this works fine. But I also like the idea of XP rewards for being in character or being creative. And those would not work if you kept XP totaly hidden. However I guess you could give in game rewards like finding silver on the ground.

I have not really played it where it was hidden but as A player I don't think it would bother me. I sort of plan the ideas for levaling my character in advance so that levaling does not slow down the game. so when it happens it happens.

What about XP for figuring out mysteries or completing a mission or a personal goal. that takes away fom just hack and slash kill goblins to get XP problem.

Quickleaf

Legend
Something I've always wanted to try is voting when the character's level. Obviously, this is only appropriate for some groups. Basically, at the end or beginning of a session, all the players congregate. They decide who levels and why.

Jarett: There's no way that I should level! I failed to stop the hobgoblins from kidnapping the gangster, my character's spanish accent devolved into a pseudo New York taxi driver, I forgot several modifiers I had during combat until after the fact, and I was unable to avenge my grandfather's honor. Talk about a bad session!

Vishal: Actually, I felt for once you played Diego with real character. He just wouldn't stop mentioning his grandfather, and he kept building on the story. Maybe you just need to be losing the game in order to role-play? Just kidding. I think you should level up.

Aaron: Me too. Actually, we all did a good job considering the hobgoblins all had character class levels and a brilliant plan. Who'd have thought they'd dress up as harem girls? Anyhow, don't sweat the accent thing. I've been enjoying Diego's spanish accent ever since the game started.

Sarah: I second, er, third the vote. Just because you or your character fail doesn't mean you shouldn't gain experience. It's how you fail that matters. And you failed with panache and melodrama suiting the swashbuckling Diego.

the Jester

Legend
Brain said:
I'd want to know the general reasoning behind a change.

There are three interconnected bits that cause me to consider it.

The first is the flavor aspect- I'm frankly curious as to how it would affect the way people play the game.

The second is my incomplete level of satisfaction with the xp system as it stands. Though I give xps as I see fit regardless, I kind of feel that if I am tracking it myself I can keep a better eye on how different experiments with xp award styles affects the game's pace overall.

The third thing is that almost every player in my game has, at one point or another, realized they had shorted themselves a level. (!) If I was tracking xp I don't think this would happen so much.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! It sounds like most of the people who have tried it liked it, so I'm leaning towards bringing it up with our group next time we game.

I used to hate the XP system, then 3E came along and converted me :)

THe new system I like, with a couple tweaks. I run a monthly game and provide an updated XP listing to all players in between sessions. The characters can only level in off-screen, mid-session leveling nonsence.

When the players get to using magic item creation, I allow the characters to go in debt over level breaks, but if they go in debt by 2 levels worth, they lose 1 level permanently.
This avoids the odd-ball circumstance on not being able to make a potion because they had just enought XP to level up.

I generally keep it myself and tell them when they level. I keep a log of the caster's XP expenditures so things stay clean. If they ask how close to next level they are I'll tell them (halfway, three quarters, etc). Their XP isn't quite a secret but I don't want it the focus. The fact that they pick and choose their battles means its working.

My logic for not giving it out is that players may try to back-calculate the ECL/CR of opponents. Sometimes I have low-level creatures pose a higher threat b/c of situational mods the party may not have noticed. Other times a high level foe decides to give in easily for plot reasons and I reduce the XP award.

Also, I don't like people leveling up overnight. I generally want it to happen when they're relaxed and not under any particular stress. Since there aren't good rules on "relaxed and unstressed" I have them level once they hit the XP and they in a place it makes sense in the story.

the Jester

Legend
kigmatzomat said:
Also, I don't like people leveling up overnight. I generally want it to happen when they're relaxed and not under any particular stress. Since there aren't good rules on "relaxed and unstressed" I have them level once they hit the XP and they in a place it makes sense in the story.

In an experimental campaign I'm running, I'm trying out training rules. So far we've played only two sessions so we haven't had a chance to try 'em out, though.

the Jester

Legend
Just a bump in the hopes I'll get more feedback on this topic.

I've pretty much decided to start doing it in my 'experimental' campaign. We'll see how it goes. Feedback from any of my players would be useful and appreciated. ;)

Crothian

First Post
my current players want to kjnow how much they have, so looks like I'll be telling them. That of course means I might actually have to start figureing XP out to make sense per adventure instead of just amiking it up as I go along....it works so much better when they pay no attention to the man beghind the curtain.....

Remove ads