• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM's Kit & the Treasure Generation System

Falstaff

First Post
I really like the random treasure generation system in the Essentials DM's Kit. However, I don't think my players will! So far I've designed about 5 encounters for the first adventure and not one item of treasure has been generated. My dice must hate the PCs! :lol:

Anyone else run into this situation?

Zaran

Adventurer
I really like the random treasure generation system in the Essentials DM's Kit. However, I don't think my players will! So far I've designed about 5 encounters for the first adventure and not one item of treasure has been generated. My dice must hate the PCs! :lol:

I refuse to use it. I felt it was unnecessary change to promote nostaglia when 4e was made for balance. I actually feel sad for those that do not have the DMG because that info is not in the compendium. What's funny is that with all those unnecessary die rolls the GM still has to do the exact same thing they did in the DMG: pick out magic items . So the die rolling is an extra step for something that was dedicated to Essential DnD gaming? Doesn't make sense.

Anyway my advice is to stop rolling the dice and look at what those charts average out and make your treasure drops from that.

Scribble

First Post
I refuse to use it. I felt it was unnecessary change to promote nostaglia when 4e was made for balance.

As far as I know this rule was an optional one wasn't it?

This is the kind of thing I like... Rules that allow people to change the game to suit their style, without changing it for those that don't want to effect the balance in their own games.

Zaran

Adventurer
As far as I know this rule was an optional one wasn't it?

This is the kind of thing I like... Rules that allow people to change the game to suit their style, without changing it for those that don't want to effect the balance in their own games.

It's the only option the DM's Kit has. It would only be optional if you own the Dungeon Master's Guide.

Zaran

Adventurer
Putting my bias aside. The random table is still based around the old DMG table with just a random factor. While you may not get any items rolled this time, probability says you will get twice as much next time. It's really up to you if you want to rely on probability and just let the die fall as it may or drop in a some magic items anyway. Every level a standard 5 PC group should get 4 magic items. So if they get none this level you should double up on them next level.

This wouldn't be so bad except the math requires each PC to have the Big Three slots covered or they start falling behind. The answer to that would be to have Inherent Enhancements but the DM's kit doesn't explain that option. That's talked about in the DMG 2.

mudlock

First Post
While you may not get any items rolled this time, probability says you will get twice as much next time.

That's not how probability works.

If you flip a coin and it comes up heads, it is not more likely to come up tails the next time.

S'mon

Legend
Much as I hate the modern emphasis on balance when it comes to magic items, 4e does seem so beholden to consistent bonuses that I think using the DMG2 Inherent bonuses or similar is by far the best way to go. This allows for random magic items without nerfing any PC.

wlmartin

Explorer

See my previous thread.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-discussion/310743-treasure-per-encounter.html#post5666626

This will allow you to customize the treasure for your group and is based on the way the manual does it. It factors in what treasure the game decides based on a typical 10 encounter adventure for 5 players and includes the magic items and gold due, then is broken down into per encounter per player numbers.

So if you have a group of 5 players, over 5 encounters.. at say 3rd level, 3795gp worth of Treasure to dish out... you can choose to dish this out in various different parcels, give them mostly gp or mostly magical items... Using the above without giving out gold you could give them a magical item of 759gp value each...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads