• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMs: Monster Minis in your game

Shadowdancer

First Post
I buy commons and uncommons I need, if reasonably priced, from various Internet sites which sell individual D&D minis. Some specific minis I couldn't find that way I bought on Ebay.

DaveStebbins

First Post
In the past, I would buy a half-dozen or so boosters and then fill in commons and uncommons I wanted from internet stores. This time I went in with two buddies and we pre-ordered three cases of Angelfire. Got all the commons and uncommons and some rares which I am trading for cool stuff from previous sets. I think this is the model I'll use for Underdark too.

-Dave

Steel_Wind

Legend
Uhmmm *blushes*

I have two guys in my gaming group who are DDM fiends. They each have a complete set of everything released so far. Their approach has been to buy 5 cases between them. This was ok and was good for two complete sets until the move to 24 rares. For Angelfire, they were each short three rares bad luck on that one - Deathknell they were short one each).

They've gone to stores here in Toronto to purchase missing rares as singles and otherwise gone to www.popularcollections.com to get them.

Two other things: As a consequence of popular collections shopping, one of them has started to amass common and uncommons in very large numbers. If there is something we might need for armies of large encounter groups - he buys em online there by the dozen.

Actually - he buys things we'll never need by the dozen too :)

When we added in the digital map projector, it's been great and I'm spoiled as hell by my two players.

Lately, I caught the bug. I bought a case of Angelfire and manages to get 12 separate rares, no repeats, all commons and uncommon covered.

I've been telling myself that I'll stop there - but I won't. I'm into it, The opening of boxes is like Xmas. It's really cool :)

We've always loved minis and we have thousands of metal minis and scenery too. Only 250-300 are painted though. I painted for years but it takes too long now and ...

Well - I prefer plastic. Instant use - look great -no work required - colors don't seem to fade and they wear AMAZINGLY well.

Last edited:

Axegrrl

First Post
After following some of the links in this thread, I discovered MageKnight singles. They're *cheap* -- the "weak" figs are identical in appearance to the "tough" figs, but "weak" costs about half as much as "tough". I never looked at MageKnight before -- but when you ignore their game mechanics and just look at it as a source of cheap figs... there's some really cool stuff there.

edit... 77 figs on order for about $48, including some that cost less than a quarter each. I figure even if they have gawdawful paint jobs, we've still got stuff to put on the table.

Last edited:

Marchen

First Post
I can relate. I still wish that I had a decent store of low level monster DDMs, especially goblins and kobolds. Luckily with the new Angelfire kobold soldier commons, I may soon have more than 3 of the scaly beasts in my collection, and thus will actually be able to run a kobold based adventure in full mini.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads