• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMs: Random Encounters?

Do you use Random Encounter Tables

• No

Votes: 99 50.8%
  • Yes (I make the tables myself)

Votes: 55 28.2%
  • Yes (I use tables from products I own)

Votes: 41 21.0%

DragonLancer

Adventurer
Not as much as when I first starting DMing back in the day. These days I just find they slow things down when I'd rather continue with the story. Theres already enough combat in the game that random encounters usually aren't needed.

Crust

First Post
When I do make use of random encounter tables, I use them during my prep time, and it's usually using a table from a sourcebook or module from Dungeon. I never use random encounter tables on the fly during play.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Yes:
1/ If I can use a table from a product I own, I do.
2/ Usually I can't, so I make my own tables.

Answered "make my own" because that's usually true, but not because I want it to be true.

Lazy, -- N

Rhun

First Post
Nifft said:
Yes:
1/ If I can use a table from a product I own, I do.
2/ Usually I can't, so I make my own tables.

Answered "make my own" because that's usually true, but not because I want it to be true.

I agree with Nifft 100% here.

Graybeard

Explorer
I use random encounters once in awhile but I have several different premade stat cards for them. I just pick something that makes sense for the area. I don't use the tables at all.

Kurashu

First Post
My DM's friend doesn't use a table. What he does is number his books and roles dice to see which book to use and then again to get a page number. Of course this ends up with unique creatures such as the "LANDKRAKEN!" being born. True story, by the way. Wish I could have been there for that.

kaomera

Explorer
I just don't use them anymore. I used to pregenerate a few appropriate encounters that I could throw at the PCs if I felt like things at the table where slowing down, but I've found that it's actually more effective for me to just move things along to the next "interesting bit" even if that means skipping ahead a bit.

Remove ads