• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM's Suport Group: Most Cliche Player Behaviors Ever

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Why not draw the stupid things out, all the while pounding on them with bows? Brave or not, surely the Paladin could see the sense in that.
When I read it, I assumed that the paladin moved into the water to engage in order to shield those squishier folks on-shore. (Perhaps there was no retreat possible or tactically sound?)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
One pet peeve of mine - players who shut off all semblance of common sense, reality, or even regular understandings of English when they try to apply the rules.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I could never say for certain without having been present, and your other examples do bear out the fighter's unwillingness to engage, however, I think here he actually used good tactics. Why would you wade INTO a watery pool filled with zombies? Why not draw the stupid things out, all the while pounding on them with bows? Brave or not, surely the Paladin could see the sense in that.
The zombies had accurate ranged attacks that were kicking our asses, and they weren't coming out of the water, so the Paladin waded in to challenge them and draw their fire from our softer targets. It may not have been the most tactically sound option, but that's what that particular player is like (he also got us caught in a goblin deadfall trap that nearly got us all killed, but that's another story entirely).

In that case though, I think the fighter should have backed up his fellow defender, especially after a few rounds went by and it was obvious that our squishies weren't going to be ambushed from behind.

We all roasted him about it afterward, singing the "Brave Sir Robin" song from Holy Grail, but inserting his character's name and deeds into it.

Armando

First Post
One time the party I was in fought a bunch of githyanki. We were fairly high level so we managed to defeat them with some effort. Now, as was expected, after combat ended the looting began. We took the standard items like gold, provisions and what not, but then the ranger in the party decides that he wants to take a githyanki silver sword.

Things grind to a halt. Both in character and out we plead with this person to not do it. He doesn't listen and takes it anyway. So later the party goes back to their house and everything seems ok. Until the ranger comes running in from the local forest screaming that they are after him.

Our sorcerer, who has intelligence (in game) that is slightly higher than a woodland creature decides its a good idea to send a fireball at the attackers, while still inside the house.

He blows out the entire front half of the house, damages a few PCs, and the githyanki. After the battle the party took the sword, opened a portal to the astral plane and threw the sword through it.

But it all balanced as next session that character was killed by a bear.

WHW4

First Post
The zombies had accurate ranged attacks that were kicking our asses, and they weren't coming out of the water, so the Paladin waded in to challenge them and draw their fire from our softer targets. It may not have been the most tactically sound option, but that's what that particular player is like (he also got us caught in a goblin deadfall trap that nearly got us all killed, but that's another story entirely).

In that case though, I think the fighter should have backed up his fellow defender, especially after a few rounds went by and it was obvious that our squishies weren't going to be ambushed from behind.

We all roasted him about it afterward, singing the "Brave Sir Robin" song from Holy Grail, but inserting his character's name and deeds into it.

Yeesh, well it makes a little more sense now. Yeah after the flow of battle and method of attack is obvious he should have adjusted his tactics. I'd have Sir Robinned him too.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
(Zombies should not have ranged attacks That's just wrong. Of course, it would shorten the length of zombie movies to about 10 minutes ... total, for all of them.)

twisted.fate

First Post
How did he get a weapon that powerful (and specific) right off the bat?

We were starting at something like fifth or sixth level, so magic items weren't totally out of the question. Also, it wasn't an insta-kill item...you had to drop the target to 0 HP, then activate the daily power of the sword to absorb the soul, which then provided a small combat bonus when activated later.

The mechanics of it weren't overpowered, and that's not what bothered me. It was more that we were trying to play heroes, and heroes don't use evil soul-sucking swords, period.

He did get his comeuppance though. The character picked a fight in a tavern that the DM explicitly described as being "full of really, really tough-looking guys - I mean, guys who clearly know their way around a knife." It ended badly for him.

A flannel shirt

First Post
Another

I just thought of another:

The guy that will not budge from their stubborn "I'm playing my character" to even help the group.

I remember running a Marvel Supers game and this one guy refused to put down his weapon to enter a cave to help the rest of the party that was getting their ass kicked. The "weapon" was the source of the characters power but you are a hero for crying out loud.

GM: Your hammer falls to the ground before you enter the cave.
Player: I pick it up, looks like I can't get in.
Other players enter and get ambushed and start to lose.
GM: You want to go in and help?
Player: My character wouldn't go in without my weapon.
GM: But the party is getting spanked.
Player: My character wouldn't go in without my weapon. I am playing my character.
Other player: Thanks for being a real hero.
Player: My character wouldn't go in without my weapon. I am playing my character.

The party pulls out the miracle and defeats the BBEG. The sword that we are to recover is stuck inside a stone. Excalibur style. The only person with the blood line to remove the sword is weapon guy, who still refuses to go in the cave to get the sword. Fine we smash the rock and bring the sword to you, happy!?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads