• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM's Toolkit Program--NOW AVAILABLE!

Guyanthalas

First Post
Yeah...Java and PDFs don't go too well together; the PDF writer modules I've found are still a bit buggy. I'll definitely incorporate that at some point; it's just a question of when I can get it working.

This isn't such a big deal because most of us (should) have a PDF creator print driver installed. The concept behind the suggestion is if I can print 4 different monsters to a single PDF file, I can then snapshot cut/paste the monster directly from acrobat into word when i'm typing up my campaign. As it stands I can still do this individually, but I see it as a time saving device to do it in bulk if possible.

Also, as far as the font thing goes, can't you just install the font into the font directory during installation of program? Then you know they have the font. :D

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
This isn't such a big deal because most of us (should) have a PDF creator print driver installed. The concept behind the suggestion is if I can print 4 different monsters to a single PDF file, I can then snapshot cut/paste the monster directly from acrobat into word when i'm typing up my campaign. As it stands I can still do this individually, but I see it as a time saving device to do it in bulk if possible.

The problem isn't the print driver itself, it's getting Java to communicate with the PDF drivers. Most of the Java documentation on those say they work just like printing to file, but with a PDF driver as the destination...but based on my testing, I'd say most of the documentation is lying. ;)

Also, as far as the font thing goes, can't you just install the font into the font directory during installation of program? Then you know they have the font. :D

The icons font I can just install, but Mentor Sans (the text font for the power and monster cards) is not free, so I'd have to keep that inside the executable somehow. I can just install the icons font, but I wanted to see if I could do both the same way to save some coding effort.

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
To all DM's Toolkit users--

Well, everyone, it's been a while since you've heard from us regarding the Toolkit, and we have an announcement to make.

4e came out at kind of a bad time for Mad Letter and myself, in terms of Toolkit timing; both of us have just entered college, and are taking mostly higher-level courses, so we're swamped with work and haven't spoken more than a few times since school began. Since November-ish, the amount of progress I've made on coding new stuff couldn't be closer to “nothing” unless I actually deleted all of the code, and Mad Letter hasn't touched the website in months.

So, at this point, you're probably saying “So what does this mean for us?” The answer is: quite a bit, actually. Effective immediately, we're going open-source with the Toolkit. I was really hoping that he and I would be able to keep this closed-source until we had version of all the Creators up and running, and then release it for whatever tweaking people would want to do once we had something to be proud of, but unfortunately it looks like we're not going to be able to work on it for the foreseeable future, and we'd rather have someone out there besides us work on it than to have it languish entirely.

There are a few things that won't change—due to the agreement we have with Excelsior, if you want the Toolkit packed up in a fancy installer, you'll have to send it to us to distribute it. Also, bug reports will still go to dm.toolkit@gmail.com, and we'll try to keep the website updated with bugs found. We will be hosting any versions for download that people are willing to send us; we'll take any tweaked versions and integrate them into a whole so any improvements made are shared among all Toolkit users; we have time for that much, at least, and we owe it to the community to do so.

What is changing? First off, the Mac people should be happy; since we're releasing the source, I now have no problem with just putting up a .jar so Mac, Windows, and Linux users can use it equally. The source code will be available for download on our site as soon as we can put it up (which may not be for a few days). If you want assistance with deciphering the code—since it was in the middle of a re-coding when I had to stop work on it—you can PM or email us all you want and we'd be happy to help. We're not abandoning the project by any means, just opening it up to other coders and artists so they can make progress where we cannot.

The code will be released under the GNU Public License, which means in a nutshell that (A) this is still the DM's Toolkit, so you can't change that or try to take credit for the whole thing; (B) you can't change the code a bit and charge for it, so this is going to remain free no matter what; and (C) you have to keep the license if you make any changes.

Thanks to everyone for all the support we've received since the very first suggestions of an idea were made three months before 4e went live. Thanks to Scott Rouse, who got our project the green light when many other electronic projects stalled and died. Thanks to everyone who hung on and cheered us on when we kept saying “We can't work on it.”

So break out your residuum, everybody; we're casting a raise dead on this project, and you're invited.

--Eldritch Lord, chief programmer, with Mad Letter, head artist

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
Just tried to use the Mac version, but get constant error messages with the Jar Launcher. When I went looking up the details on how to fix it, I came up with this page...

Java Development Guide for Mac OS X: Java Deployment Options for Mac OS X

Looks like something that has to be done from the source and it's WAY over my head. Looking forward to seeing and using this sucker. :)

So a Mac can't just run a .jar file without all the application stuff attached, huh? Interesting. I'll get a friend of mine with a Mac to take a look and see if I can figure out how to make it work.

I'm currently hoping for the Mac version to be fixed as well. But I've got it and Windows on my computer so I'll be using your program.

I just love the concept of this tool so much I want it available to me all the time.

Remove ads