D&D General DMs - What makes You...

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
More specifically, what makes you, as a DM, sit down and change a rule?

Depends on the rule. I house ruled 5E initiative to allow for 3E style ready and delay because the former felt too static for my tastes.

What makes you craft different lore for your world?
Different from what? I have only homebrewed for the last 33 years. But usually, I create (or steal) lore as I need for a specific adventure, NPC, or magical item.

What makes you not allow/or insist on the presence of certain races, classes, backgrounds?
Cohesion of what I imagine the world to look like and feeling that some of them undermine the awe I try to build in the setting. For example, I do not allow artificers because I don't like the idea of anything that smacks of making magic just another form of technology. I often also present players with scenarios for campaigns which often limit what is available for starting characters.

What makes you not allow certain combos?
I am not aware of any combos I disallow.

What makes you use certain books and not use others?
I start with the core books and then slowly allow stuff from other books as I vet it to fit in the sense of the campaign and game that I'm going for - either because I happen to flip through it or a player asks about it.

Celebrim

Legend
Hello Dms.

Seeing the lore discussion and about a dozen others on mechanics, races, rules, etc, I can't help but wonder one simple question - why?

I feel like each of your questions is extremely deep and the answers required complicated, so I'm going to stop here for now and just answer this first one.

I change rules for a lot of reasons. I think it would be overly simplistic to say that it makes the game more fun, but that's the underlying reason behind all the more specific reasons.

The most common reason to change a rule is probably balance. For example, the rule as written either makes the option too attractive so that everyone is going to be steered to making the same choices or not attractive enough discouraging anyone from making the choice. Balancing rules effectively gives players more freedom and agency while at the same time allowing for more skillful play because there isn't necessarily one hammer you can pound to solve every problem you come up against. Balance also encourages spotlight sharing and team play since no one character has the tool for everything. Ultimately, balancing rules is required of Celebrim's 1st law of RPGs - Thou Shalt Not Be Good at Everything. In D&D specifically, this most often is making spells a little less effective so that they aren't win buttons that make the rest of the party superfluous.

Another very common reason to change a rule is silence of the rules on something that I feel will come up almost immediately in play or which in fact has come up in play. A lot of the time my rules are created directly as a result of finding I don't have a rule for that during play. Rulings are rules. Players all the time make reasonable propositions where the rules don't cover the request or where the rules forbid the request explicitly or by implication even though it is a natural request or where the rules don't deal well with the specific circumstances the proposition is being made in. So a lot of times I'm extending rules to make them more flexible and make clear what the ruling is in circumstances the RAW is silent on.

But this category goes well beyond just having rulings for every situation that comes up. D&D in particular has traditionally lacked whole subsystems for things like evasion and chases, crafting, dominions, etc. What the rules are silent on very often neither the players nor the GM can do, and indeed what the rules are silent on very often the players and the GMs can't do because they never even think about the possibility of doing them. And this category often covers CharGen options which are added in theory by the game makers for the same reason I add homebrewed CharGen options, the silence of the rules on how to create characters of fiction which a player might want but for which the rules provide no options.

Further, this category can include things that I want to be important and specific to my setting, but which the game is silent on because traditionally those things aren't important to the setting. For example, I have explicit rules for divine intervention because unlike most games, in my game divine intervention isn't something that occurs to cover a rare event but something that likely happens a dozen times in a campaign. The gods in my campaign world are very active, and curses and blessings and miracles on behalf of both PC's and NPCs happen frequently enough that they need rules. This category can include monsters that I want in my world but which don't exist in the official rules, or monsters that I conceive differently in my world than in the official rules. And it includes things like naturally sacred ground and holy sites, or the purpose and value of having a roadside shrine.

Yet another common reason to change the rules is verisimilitude. I consider it really important for the success of the proposition-fortune-resolution cycle, that a player that is forming a potential proposition in their head can without any knowledge of the rules develop a sense for the likely outcomes of a proposition. That is to say players need to be able to interact directly with the game fiction without knowing what the rules are and have some confidence that when the fortune test is made the outcome of the proposition will fit within common sense and will fit within common sense at about the probabilities you'd expect. What you imagine as the fail and success cases for the action ought to be what the fail and success cases actually are in the rules, and the rules ought to produce reasonable chances for success or failure depending on what you are proposing to do. As an extreme example, leaping a small puddle ought to be easier than leaping the Atlantic Ocean. I would argue that this verisimilitude test is probably the real reason we bother to have rules at all, because a game system that didn't care about verisimilitude wouldn't actually need many rules.

One of the most complex reasons for changing a rule is addressing rules bloat. Rules bloat come about when makers of a game system recognize the rules limitations of their own rules and begin patching the rules in a peice meal way, often with no more than the intention to sell more rules.

An example of rules bloat common to D&D would be the proliferation of classes and subclasses to cover increasingly small niches. Probably one of the worst rules bloat situations in all of D&D history is late 3.5 edition where CharGen options were sold in every book for economic reasons rather than game reasons resulting in huge numbers of unnecessary and often overlapping classes, which in turn did all sorts of awful things to the game balance. However, a parallel situation existed in 2e D&D with the proliferation of spells to the point of silliness. One of the things I try to do when revising rules for D&D is offer the same number of options while using less words to do it. Sometimes writing rules decreases the total number of rules at your table by reducing the number of rules supplements actually being used at your table. Yes, I do have a 585 pages house rule document for 3e D&D, but this statement becomes less ridiculous when you realize it is a full rules system that replaces all the chargen options in 3.5 D&D while in my opinion allowing even greater flexibility and better balance (eliminating the most broken aspects of the "lonely fun" CharOp minigame all the 100's of CharGen options in 3.5 created). I actually had less rules than most 3.X tables; I just didn't have them spread over 15+ 300 page rules supplements. All the things that were allowed were in one handy place. No need for players to buy $1000 worth of books and combing through them for optimizations, much as I no that in fact some players enjoy that - arguably more than they enjoy playing D&D.

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I love to create settings. Think of it as a minigame for me. I've got documents with setting kernels ready to build out further if I'm going to be running a game.

For me, the best settings are flavorful ones, and ones that actively support exploring the stories the table is going to weave together. In some cases, it enables telling stories that you couldn't tell elsewhere, or at least not in the same way. Dark Sun, for example, lends itself to stories very different then more generic setting.

Talking about generic settings, take a look at the Warforged in Eberron vs. a kitchen sink generic setting like FR. In Eberron they were created as living weapons, coming from House Canith's monopoly on creation forges but sold to every nation during the Last War. The Treaty of Thronehold emancipated them - no, more than that, declared them people instead of weapons. But it also stopped creation of any more. So how long will they live, will they die out as a race. Plus they are reminders of the Last War and seen by many as not-people.

In the FR, they are metal men.

Halflings in Eberron have two different cultures, with one of them being dinosaur-riding Australian-expy bad...butts. Halflings in Dark Sun are cannibalistic because they don't waste resources. Halfling in generic worlds are ... well there's a whole thread on "The Problem with Halflings".

So coming up with lore an importance for races, cultures, and the like is part of world building. And thematically not everything always fits. And even if something isn't barred thematically, with the number of races it's work - where does the haregon fit? Where do the emerald dragonborn fit? Where do the shadar-ki fit? It may be just too much work, or work that dilutes options that are strongly connected to the world and theme.

--

Okay, that covers most things. Let me get onto the parts it doesn't.

I usually homebrew rules to correct something I feel is wrong in play. I try to keep them minimal, otherwise I just pick a different system that fits my needs better. The only three I have in 5e games I'm currently running are: Inspiration is a reroll (instead of advantage) and players can nominate other players for it. Drinking a potion yourself is a bonus action. Milestone XP.

But I could do one for a setting - Dark Sun has arcane magic defaulting to despoiling which is fun, and I almost had something similar for necrotic magic (which would include Raise Dead) for a setting. So that's with the stuff up top. Theros with their Divine Gift is a good example of official material doing that.

As for books, I will disallow books I don't want. Usual examples are setting books for other settings - sorry, you can't play a dragonmarked character in Theros. I usually disallow 3PP books as a category and allow specific ones I might want. And while published by WotC I disallow Acquisitions Inc., it doesn't support the style of game I want.

Mezuka

Hero
I've been DMing for so long I need a novel campaign idea to keep my interest up. It needs to be a strong concept like 'characters are all siblings of a baron who was killed 3 weeks ago. The mother is taking over. The characters only level 3 struggle to keep things together.'

Thus because of the initial concept, accepted by the players, race and class are limited to those who would fit and the books they are in.

As fore lore, I'm of two minds. Sometimes I use Greyhawk because it fits nicely with the concept. Other times I create a micro setting with just enough informations to start the ball rolling. I add on as we go along. I made the mistake of writing a 40 pages gazeteer once. I'll never do that again.

Rules. I very rarely change them. The only thing I fiddle with is healing. I want the game to feel dangerous but at the same time I don't like deadly gritty.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Hello Dms.

Seeing the lore discussion and about a dozen others on mechanics, races, rules, etc, I can't help but wonder one simple question - why?

As a preamble, I'd say about 85% of what I do is in response to what the players need or want. 15% of what I do is just fun for myself.

The players and I think the rule should be changed to improve our fun at the table.

That part is a lot of fun for me! Usually I'll start off with a few truths about the world. Then I'll add more in response to the questions or ideas of my players. For example, in the last game, the players made friends with this big magic turtle, so I decided he and other animals were local gods. Then one of my players started to get suspicious of these gods, wondering if they were actually divine or just taking advantage of the local people. I thought that was a great idea, and rolled with it!

What makes you not allow/or insist on the presence of certain races, classes, backgrounds?

I almost never do this, but if my players wanted to play a certain kind of game, we might decide what races, classes, and backgrounds would be appropriate.

I never do this.

Usually just what I have in my possession, or what the players have. I don't tend to ban things, unless it wouldn't be appropriate to the campaign. But that's a group decision, not a me decision.

I would like to state, that we all understand these are preferences. There is no right or wrong way. I am insanely curious about the why though.

As always, thanks to everyone in advance for participating in the discussion.

Overall I'd say I'm a "Responsive DM." I personally find it really fun to collaborate creatively with my players, and to adapt and change my campaign to their needs, interests, and ideas. I know that's not every DM's style, but it sure is fun for me!

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
A lot of questions here with various answers. I will simplify it into two general answers.
1. Mechanical reasons. Either the options are too complicated, work poorly, or don't work at all. Supplements can sometimes explore the possibilities but release unintended consequences to the system. So, I will add, subtract, and change as I see fit to running a smooth and enjoyable game.
2. Personal preference (flavor). I might not like the cut of somethings jib, or maybe I want to add something that doesn't exist. I might just want one variation of Elf and not many. I might want to explore a certain tone, or tell a particular story that needs the right influences and guides.

I very rarely do this. If I do change a rule it will be as a result of applying it at the table and getting a group consensus that it is not fun. The reason I game is to have fun with friends; the only reason to change a rule is to ensure the game is fun. Mostly I change rules that make one character too strong at what another player likes their character to do -- niche protection, if you will. If a rule allows a wizard to be better at sneaking then a thief, then it needs to go.

Umm. This is sort of backwards from how I design campaigns. The reason I start a campaign is the lore -- by definition the lore will be different and the point of the campaign is to explore that difference.

Same answer as for rule changes. In practice it's mostly niche protection, but it can also be for other reasons. But generally, niche protection and balance.

wedgeski

Adventurer
More specifically, what makes you, as a DM, sit down and change a rule? I only ever houserule something (i.e. put it in a document) for clarity. There have been occasions where we, as a table, have agreed that a certain ability or combo is best avoided, but these are usually campaign specific.

What makes you craft different lore for your world? Unique lore (factions, items, settings) drives my homebrew. Plus, I can only fully internalise lore that I've written, so it's kind of a practical necessity!

What makes you not allow/or insist on the presence of certain races, classes, backgrounds? Purely on issues of balance. The only instance I can think of right now is when I disallowed Underdark as favoured terrain for the Out of the Abyss campaign.

What makes you not allow certain combos? If, after use, there are blatant issues, such as one PC dominating the game.

What makes you use certain books and not use others? Nothing, I'll mine any source available.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
1. The rule doesn't work for me. Either too realistic(rarely the case), not realistic enough(more often the case) or doesn't do what it need to well enough(mostly the case).
2. I just plain don't like it.
3. I think it's too broad or too narrow and it needs to be tweaked.
1. I don't like it for some reason and I feel the need to change it. An example of that is I liked King Azoun in the Forgotten Realms and so he didn't die in my campaign like the fate that official lore wrote for him.
Personal preference. There is only one race I don't allow and that's dragonborn. They trivialize dragons by taking the mighty dragon blood and reducing it to a race no more powerful than humans or elves, and I really don't like that.
If they unbalance the game to a great enough degree or result in silliness.
All books are allowed in 5e. In 3e I banned Nine Swords because it was too powerful and I had trouble compensating for those abilities when I built, encounters in a way that I never did with CODzilla. That was it. I try not to ban books, but occasionally banned a spell or feat.

• The rule takes too much mental thought to do quickly at the table, or doesn't enhance the experience or seem otherwise intuitive.

• It is a literal compulsion, I can't help it. I change to fit my tastes and I really don't care what anyone else thinks.

• Campaign thematics and narrative elements.

• I don't do this. If you start trying to do coffeelock shennanigans or simulcram nonsense, I'll start doing it too. Some tables like that, some tables avoid this to avoid this kind of response.

• The book being good and interesting and inspiring ideas in me. I don't use a book if I'm not interested in the content.

Remove ads