DnD 3.5 no-magic setting, lvl 1

Theroc

First Post
It's mostly a lack of creative drive. I just can't seem to get myself to sit down and work on the character sheet. And it isn't just this game... Ask Theroc how long it took me to put together my warlock for his upcoming arena.

I still like the concept of the game, and the concept of the character, but I just feel like I'm getting bogged down in the rules. And when that happens, it seem like a good idea to not get involved in more games. Like I said, I plan to read along, I just won't be playing along.

I actually didn't pay attention since I was busy with other stuff, I didn't mind the delay. :p

Anyway, can anyone give me any tips or pointers on what I have up for Dracomides? I realize that vitality feat is meh, but without access to reliable healing, I figured a little bit each encounter would increase his longevity. If someone knows of a better investment, I'd be all ears. I was considering taking the "Get an extra maneuver" feat and picking up some devoted spirit stuff just to keep us up a bit longer... but I'm not sure how M&L is going to design encounters, so that may not be the best idea.

Padreigh

First Post
Would there still be space left in this (how the heck did I miss it in the first place?)

I would like to go for a young Roman Patrician, currently in Greece for reasons of health (read: ticked of the wrong family and is now staying away from the Aeterna until some grass has grown over the affair. I'd probably go for a fighter as well, since most Romans of his age and social class would have served in the Legions at some stage.

Edit: Just spotted the "only players known to you need apply" part. Too bad :(

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
If it's good for something, I recomend Padreigh. He's a player in one of my games and is playing alongside me in anotherone. I think he is a quite devoted player and should be allowed in.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Aye a recommendation is viable. The only reason for this rule is to:

1) avoid eager-beaver new members who are all excited and stuff and refresh the topic 20 times per day in the start, but then get ADD and leave because they are not used to the low pace of PbP. These are a problem for my games because i actively include everyone in the story, and with the NPCs and i want them to stay there and develop.

2) avoid 11 year olds who think dual wielding katanas is kewl and they want to be awesum and kill stuffs.

Go ahead and roll your patrician. Be sure to remember this is the Roman Republic still, the ultimate power is the Senate and there is no Emperor (the closet thing to this is the Pro Consul) Also, a Patrician of young age (16 to 22) will not have been an actual legionnaire most likely, since they have to provide their own equipment (like in the Greek Cities). Unless he comes from a very rich family and his father approves of this (which would be rare IMO. Patricians tend to go for offices of power. Although he could be breeding his son to become a legate, which is a "military governor" that time. And a legate must have some experience in the army)

So yeah go ahead. That's me rambling :D If you are set on this background i'll provide some bonuses and such.

Padreigh

First Post
Go ahead and roll your patrician. Be sure to remember this is the Roman Republic still, the ultimate power is the Senate and there is no Emperor (the closet thing to this is the Pro Consul) Also, a Patrician of young age (16 to 22) will not have been an actual legionnaire most likely, since they have to provide their own equipment (like in the Greek Cities). Unless he comes from a very rich family and his father approves of this (which would be rare IMO. Patricians tend to go for offices of power. Although he could be breeding his son to become a legate, which is a "military governor" that time. And a legate must have some experience in the army)

So yeah go ahead. That's me rambling :D If you are set on this background i'll provide some bonuses and such.

Well, I could go for a young Patrician who had been elected to be a military tribune by the tribal assembly at the age of 20. After all, military service was (almost, some managed to somehow get around it) mandatory to be eligible for higher office, so his father might have pulled some strings. But then again it would be hard to get that guy to Greece without too many oddities.

So, let's skip the military background. He will have had some training with arms and armour, but not in the legions. My first thought was of course to take the Gestalt option (Fighter/Rogue) from Unearthed Arcana, since you said "every book allowed" ;), but I decided not to push my luck and go for Swashbuckler instead. While in theory the swashbuckler is more at home in later periods (as in: way, way later periods), I think he would be a fit for a young Roman Patrician, who is a bit of the wild child of the family, with a tendency to get in fights but also still able to hold his ground in society.
Think a bit of Clodius and Catilina (albeit 200 years earlier). Would that be acceptable?

Myth and Legend

First Post
OK first of all you can't be gestalt in a non-gestalt game, it's not an option that is up for grabs like getting spells from any book for example. I thought that was common knowledge :) Gestatlt is a variant rule available to DMs who can state it at char creation.

Anyway, your background is nice, but the Swashbuckler might be hard to justify for a Roman. Light weapons, light armour and jumping around is not the Roman way of fighting :erm: I have nothing against it though, it will make for interesting RPing. What kind of a weapon would you be using is the question here, rapiers, smallswords etc. are not really common during 270 BC.

Padreigh

First Post
Well, I wasn't serious aboutt the Gestalt anyway. :)

Jumping around in light armour is not the Roman way, true. If we are talking army here, that is. If you are a young Roman with a tendency to get into trouble quickly, it is a style you have to adopt if you want to survive a street brawl (especially when armour and weapons are forbidden within the city limits and all you have at hand is what you can hide in your clothes).

Re weapons: Dagger and short sword (parazonium and xiphos) should do the trick.
Gladius and pugio are being introduced sometime in this century and chain mail is just arriving on the scene, so those might be possible.
How close are you sticking to "reality"? I've seen greatsword as a posiibility for Germans and net and trident for gladiators (are they actually already around as a "class" in Rome? Somehow I thought they still stuck to the classic munera at this stage) and they are a bit early as well, iirc.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Not 100% accurate. I try to balance flavor and history. Events and NPCs i'll keep as accurate as i can. Also, I'm not a historian so i might make some mistakes.

BTW i think i allowed greataxes for Gaul, and i haven't mentioned Germania (or greatswords) yet, or did i lose myself in my own thread lol?

Chainmial is not due for some time yet as far as i know, care to throw a source my way? And for trident and net for that matter. No gladiator is not a class or profession, but i wanted something interesting to offer the players.

If you want to argue history, any kind of dual wielding is fiction, apart from rapier and dagger which is thousands of years later. :)

Remove ads