• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 DnD 3.5 - Potions and Permanency

Crownless King

First Post
alright, according to the permanency list, Greater magic fang is on there. It would be pretty difficult to locate a high level caster to cast +5 GMF on a monk then permanent it. So is it legit to take the potion of GMF +5 and then permanent it? or does the fact that its a potion and not the actual spell not work for permanency? If it is possible, plz lemme kno what book this information is from, thanks.

On a side not, if you put an explosive...in a bag of holding, does the bag explode letting out everything inside of it?

Dandu

First Post
1. If you can't find a caster to cast +5 GMF, how do you find a potion made by a high level caster that creates a +5 GMF?
That being said, I think it works because permanancy makes an existing spell permanant, and drinking the potion causes a spell to come into effect. I may be wrong on this.

2. Bags of Holding can be punctured, so that interpretation is reasonable.

Ahnehnois

First Post
From the permanency spell:
You cast the desired spell and then follow it with the permanency spell.
Drinking a potion is not an equivalent action to casting a spell, so it cannot be made permanent. In fact, based on this text the GMF and permanency must be cast by the same person, although I'm not sure if that was the intent.

Jack Simth

First Post
From the permanency spell:
Drinking a potion is not an equivalent action to casting a spell, so it cannot be made permanent. In fact, based on this text the GMF and permanency must be cast by the same person, although I'm not sure if that was the intent.
Are you Sure?

The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect (though the potion indicates the caster level, the drinker still controls the effect).

Ahnehnois

First Post
Well, when you put it that way...

Either way, I tend to agree that the potion is no easier to find than the caster (both at the appropriate level), so it's kind of an academic issue anyway.

Crownless King

First Post
well i agree that it would be equally difficult to find the creator of the potion, but my DM created a city in our campaign that carried anything and everything that can be found in the DMG. Therefor since there is a potion of greater Magic Fang +5, I can just buy it and get it permanent on my character.

Dandu

First Post
well i agree that it would be equally difficult to find the creator of the potion, but my DM created a city in our campaign that carried anything and everything that can be found in the DMG. Therefor since there is a potion of greater Magic Fang +5, I can just buy it and get it permanent on my character.
Interesting note; spellcasting services are in the DMG as well, so you could hire a high level caster...

Greenleaves

First Post
You can get Scrolls of Permancy as well (at a suitablely higher cost due to xp).

In a previous game I ran I was able to use these with other scrolls to really improve my Sorceror without him having to take the spells (Arcane Sight etc.)

One note of warning though, not sure if this applies in all games or was just my DM being evil. We came up a against an enemy mage who then proceeded to Dispel all of my permanent effects and I lost them forever :(

(This was a few years ago so I hope I have remembered it all correctly).

frankthedm

First Post
One note of warning though, not sure if this applies in all games or was just my DM being evil. We came up a against an enemy mage who then proceeded to Dispel all of my permanent effects and I lost them forever :(
That is exactly what was supposed to happen. Its a failsafe feature to make sure Permanency effects don't just get treated as slotless indestructible items for everyone.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm
You cast the desired spell and then follow it with the permanency spell. You cannot cast these spells on other creatures. This application of permanency can be dispelled only by a caster of higher level than you were when you cast the spell.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Spells cast on other creatures, objects, or locations (not on you) are vulnerable to dispel magic as normal.

Last edited:

Remove ads