• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DnD 5e - Degenerate and Greater Harm need help

animal chubs

First Post
I'm trying to convert Degenerate and Greater Harm to 5e. And am just looking for some advice for these spells. thanks

Degenerate

Necromancy
Level: Cleric 7, Harming 7, Druid 9
Components: V, S, DF
Casting time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Living Creature Touched, or Willing Undead (harmless)
Duration: 2d10 rounds
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
Spell Resistance: Yes

With a touch a horrible feeling shakes over their body, veins bulging unnaturally over their surface, growing like a cancer. As they swing their arm to retaliate, they look on in horror... as the limb falls off.
With a touch you cause a body to start eating away at itself. The spell deals 4d8 points of negative energy damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +35), and the body starts to decay, taking 1 point of damage every round the target does anything strenuous, as if they were disabled, except you may act as normal. However, every round that they do act, in addition to 1 point of damage from strain, they must make a Fort save again, or have a limb fall useless. Roll randomly between the number of limbs, typically two arms, and two legs. Blow are penalties for lost limbs, penalties are cumulative.
Arm: -2 on all skill checks involving hands, and of course the loss of use and ability to attack with said arm.
Leg: -10 penalty on speed. (0 ft. speed if all legs are gone, 5 ft if they can crawl)
Wing: -10 fly speed, flight maneuverability drops by one. Falls if it drops below poor.
Tail: -4 Balance checks, loss of use of the tail
The 1 point of damage and fortitude saves to avoid limb loss continue for 2d10 rounds afterward. If the same limb is targeted and disabled twice, the limb rots completely off, and the effect is permanent. Otherwise a cure spell from a caster whose level is higher than yours, a Heal, Regeneration, or spells which can duplicate those affects can cease the effects of degenerate, in reverse the damage done by ruined or severed limbs.
Interestingly enough, the spell can be cast on a willing undead, with a 3 round casting time. In which case, it behaves identical to a Regeneration spell.
Focus: Divine Focus

MUST HAVE SUMMONING LEVEL 3 FOR THE NEXT SPELL

Greater Harm

Necromancy
Level: Clr 9
Components: V, S
Casting time: 1 standard action
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will half; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

Greater Harm charges a subject with negative energy that deals 15 points of damage per caster level (to a maximum of 300 points at 20th level). If the creature successfully saves, greater harm deals half this amount, but it cannot reduce the target’s hit points to less than 1.
If used on an undead creature, greater harm heal the actual undead.

animal chubs

First Post
This is Degenerate converted. I think it may be a tid op but I'm not sure. But I didn't start Greater Harm yet.
Degenerate
7th-level Necromancy
Casting Time: 1 action or 10 minutes (Ritual)
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (rotting flesh)
Duration: concentration
With a touch a horrible feeling shakes over their body, veins bulging unnaturally over their surface, growing like a cancer. As they swing their arm to retaliate, they look on in horror... as the limb falls off.
With a touch you cause a body to start eating away at itself. The spell deals 4d8 points of necrotic damage and the body starts to decay, taking 1d4 points of damage every round the target does anything strenuous (movement, actions). Every round that they do act, they must make a Constitution saving throw again, or have a limb fall useless. Roll randomly between the number of limbs, typically two arms, and two legs. Blow are penalties for lost limbs, penalties are cumulative.
Arm: -2 on all skill checks involving hands, and of course the loss of use and ability to attack with said arm.
Leg: -10 penalty on speed. (0 ft. speed if all legs are gone, 5 ft if they can crawl)
Wing: -10 fly speed, flight maneuverability drops by one. Falls if it drops below poor.
Tail: -4 Balance checks, loss of use of the tail

The 1d4 point of damage and Constitution saving throw to avoid limb loss continue for 2d10 rounds afterward. If the same limb is targeted and disabled twice, the limb rots completely off.
The spell can be cast on a willing undead, with a 10 minute casting time. This restores 4d8 of the willing undeads health and regenerates missing limbs once fully healed.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 8th level or higher, roll an additional 1d8 damage(heal for willing undead) for each slot level above 7th.

Quartz

Hero
For Greater Harm I suggest you look at Mass Heal and invert it. Remember that 5e characters will generally have fewer HP than 3E characters. (3E characters will likely have items granting +6 Con)

For Degenerate, how about abstracting the effects? Say it causes 1 level of Exhaustion per round?

animal chubs

First Post
like instead of the limb loss have it cause exhaustion? I think its fine how it is, it gives that gross creepy necromancer feel to it.

animal chubs

First Post
For Greater Harm I suggest you look at Mass Heal and invert it. Remember that 5e characters will generally have fewer HP than 3E characters. (3E characters will likely have items granting +6 Con)

For Degenerate, how about abstracting the effects? Say it causes 1 level of Exhaustion per round?

But I do like the idea for Greater harm, i'm gonna start working on re wording it now.

animal chubs

First Post
This is the one I made:
Greater Harm
9th-level Necromancy
Casting Time: 1 action

Greater Harm charges a subject with pure necrotic energy that deals 9d12 points of damage. The creature makes a Wisdom saving throw and If the creature successfully saves greater harm deals half this amount. It cannot reduce the target’s hit points to less than 1 on a failed save.
If used on an undead creature, greater harm heals the undead.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 10th level or higher, roll an additional 1d12 damage(heal for undead) for each slot level above 9th.

This is the one I converted:
Greater Harm
9th-level Necromancy
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet

A flood of necrotic energy flows from you into
creatures around you. You deal damage up to 700 hit points,
divided as you choose among any number o f creatures
that you can see within range. Creatures harmed by
this spell are also blinded or deafened.
If used on an undead creature or constructs, greater harm heals.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads