• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DnD Granite Quarry

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
@Dannyalcatraz
I really like aqueduct idea. Unfortunately, I think mischievous goblinoids and bandits would have a field day destroying it since there'd be no way to constantly guard an aqueduct 300 miles long.

Its essentially the same problem faced by oil producers in nations where "freedom fighters" are operating.

Which is to say that it is still feasible if the payoff is big enough. That aqueduct may be extremely long, but it may shave months off of the delivery time. And a shorter delivery route is easier to defend- they may attack the aqueduct, but they'd also go after the river transports, carts or even logs. Or even the quarry itself.

The solution would be regular patrols, extra heavy nearest the goblinoid tribes.

In all likelihood, you'd have a hit here and a raid there, but, for the most part, barring an actual uprising or horde invasion the aqueduct would be "safe" for most of its length.

rusty2667

First Post
This sound right?

A narrow, deep ravine with two paths on either side. The granite would be transported by raft thats tethered to huge domesticated beasts. These beasts would travel the two side paths while mounted guards surrounded them with archers sitting on top of the granite.

How in the hell do you get granite to float?

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
How in the hell do you get granite to float?

Keelboat can take 12 tons of cargo - most Keel boats were 15 feet wide and up to 30 feet long.

I would go canal in place of aqueduct, dig down 10 to 15 feet and use the soil to build your walkway and raise your bank. But just putting an axle or two on the block will allow it to be moved. You also can make a block the axle itself by just wrapping rope around it or place wheels on its ends.

Last edited:

rusty2667

First Post
The info and ideas here have been extremely helpful, thank you. I feel I have pieces of a puzzle, now all I have to do is find right ones to fit together.

I'm trying to fit these pieces within the context of my campaign world, which makes things even more complex and bring up issues well beyond the original scope of this thread. I'll need to daydream a little before I can come up with a cohesive concept for this whole quarry operation. Then I'll post it as a new thread. I don't mind daydreaming, it's why I like to DM.

Please feel free to post any new info, idea, or whatever(even simple facts help A LOT).

Remove ads