• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DND Rules/Game Summary for Newbie?

GodPhoenix

First Post
Is there a DND rules and/or game summary for newbies? I have a friend who's interested in playing but doesn't know much about it. I've explained a bit, but she'd rather read something. I'm looking for something like the Exalted Quickstart PDF...or a good website...with a brief intro to the game itself and maybe a few rules.

I've already ruled out the "Learn about DND" from the Wizards DND homepage...it's too hokey.

Thx!

MerakSpielman

First Post
No, I haven't seen anything like that for D&D.

The traditional method is to hand-hold them through character creation, then run them through a few increasingly complex combats.

dcollins

Explorer
A few suggestions:

(1) Just have them start playing. Back in the old days, the amazing thing about RPGs was that you could be a player without actually knowing the rulws of the game. A newbie should be able to describe their actions in real-world terms, and have the DM adjudicate on how success happens or not.

(2) One of the most key items I've found is to photocopy and hand them the one-page summary of "Combat Basics" from near the start of the PHB. (p. 117 in 3.0, not sure where in 3.5)

(3) I have a summary of rules I wrote when starting with 3rd Edition, called "Thumbnail Rules", here: http://superdan.net.home.comcast.net/dnd3.html

Remove ads