• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DnD using Shadowrun mechanics

Chaoszero

First Post
I have an idea for an Eberron campaign that focuses less on heroic exploration and more on oppressive story driven film noir. So in order to downplay the desire to "level up" and to keep the characters from growing too powerful for their city setting. I'm going to use the Shadowrun 4E system, augmented for use in a DND type world.

Does anyone have any suggestions to throw in the pot to help me? I know I'm gonna need to convert races and to make more spells (i think).

What do you think?

kilpatds

Explorer
I have an idea for an Eberron campaign that focuses less on heroic exploration and more on oppressive story driven film noir. So in order to downplay the desire to "level up" and to keep the characters from growing too powerful for their city setting. I'm going to use the Shadowrun 4E system, augmented for use in a DND type world.

I thought I got acceptable results in 3.5 Eberron by using e6 (actually, e10) and eliminating found treasure (house rule that said all permanent magic items were bound to the owner magically, and thus had zero reuse potential. And then paid out massive cash awards for runs).

That seemed simpler to me, anyway.

Chaoszero

First Post
I'm not sure what e6 or e10 is. But one of the major points of switching systems is to get players (and myself) out of the DND mindset of kill monster / take treasure.

The system would allow me to run a game without thought as to money or magic item rewards as a needed part. Even to eliminate dungeons all together and just run an urban setting filled with social intrigue.

kilpatds

Explorer
I'm not sure what e6 or e10 is.

e6 is a 3e/3.5e D&D variant that simply stops at 6th level. (Every N xp after that simply gives you another feat.)

For 4e, there's also a "inherent bonuses" approach that eliminates the need for magical items to make the math work.

I'm simply suggesting that tweaking things (rules/expectations) to avoid finding treasure and limiting leveling out may provide most of the feel you are looking for with much less work that converting everything cool to Shadowrun.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I would probably keep the coversion simple. Keep as much of the Shadowrun rules intact. Eliminate anachronistic skills and gear. I'm not familiar with character creation rules in 4E Shadowrun, but if necessary limit the Tech (Money) priority. The limit may not even be necessary if the players understand that there isn't much gear to spend their money on.

Andor

First Post
You know, given that 3e Eberron had the grafting rules you could acually keep cyberware, just refluffing it as magical bodyparts grafted onto you. I'd probably make it more visually obvious and mildly horrific.

And I'd keep the essence cost. :devil:

Tilenas

Explorer
I've wanted to run SRv4 in a fantasy setting for some time, but I never got around to converting the system. So I'm very excited that you had the same idea and I hope you'll tell us about the progress you make! Good luck.

Jhaelen

First Post
I'm going to use the Shadowrun 4E system, augmented for use in a DND type world.
Hmm. Is Shadowrun 4e very different from Shadowrun 3e?

If it isn't I definitely wouldn't attempt a conversion. Have you looked at Earthdawn? It would probably be a lot easier to translate the Eberron setting into the Earthdawn ruleset.

tyrlaan

Explorer

If it isn't I definitely wouldn't attempt a conversion. Have you looked at Earthdawn? It would probably be a lot easier to translate the Eberron setting into the Earthdawn ruleset.
Irrespective of convert-ability, I suspect Earthdawn would miss the mark of the OPs goals - "an Eberron campaign that focuses less on heroic exploration and more on oppressive story driven film noir."

4E certainly fixes a lot of issues with the core system.

I think the biggest failure of Shadowrun in a fantasy game is that the magic spells are pretty boring. They don't hold a candle to any editions D&D spells/powers.

Spells like Bigby's Clenching Fist or Mordekainens Sword don't exist in SR.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads