• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DnD will never die...

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
I know it's silly, but hear me out. I was in my favorite FLGS today (The Source, StPaul MN), and my wife and I overhear these two young boys (couldn't have been more than 8 years old) talking about getting some dice. They said that all they had was a player's handbook and they brought it with them so they could pick out the right dice. Then the poor souls found out they only had a dollar betwixt them (dice are spendy these days).

Now this little simplistic seeming predicament touched my heart so much as it reminded me of my first days as a gamer, digging for spare cash as I needed it for that ONE special die. Then, my wife, recently having acquired her own personal set of dice (another proud moment for me), decides to help these two future gamers out. She goes over and buys them both a complete set of dice. Or at least she was going to until their mother came in... Anyway, the point being.. did I have a point? No, not really, I just wanted to share with you all the reminder to remember the simple things in life and that as long as we allow children to imagine, DnD will never die...

That and the hopes that some of you have had similar experiences.. please feel free to share.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
I hear you man :)

I was at the local used-book place shunting some old paperbacks offfor store credit, when this kid came up with a 3.0 PH and asked the guy at the counter if he'd take five bucks for it (it was priced at $12.95)...the guy told him no as "those things sell within a week of coming in".

I had about 15 bucks of store credit left, so I grabbed it and gave it to him.

He seemed a bit bewildered, but I hope I did my part for the cause:)

KenM

Banned
Banned
I wonder in 75 or 100 years from now, how close the rules will be to what we were playing. or will it be VR??

shaylon

First Post
That is a nice story. I too like to hear these types of things. It is always nice to hear about how someone helped another gamer. This year I plan on buying a couple of D&D Basic Sets (I think that is what they are called. The boxed set that came out last year with light rules?) and donating them to Toys for Tots. Someone on the boards here suggested it last year and I thought it was a brilliant idea.

-Shay

Mercule

Adventurer
Starman said:
I don't think pen'n'paper RPGs will ever go away.

Agreed. People will always want to have that social aspect to the game. That, and there will always be people like me, who used to have all-night solo games on the phone with my friend in high school. Can't VR that.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I've done my share of helping future gamers. One time, back in 90 something, there were a couple of kids that wanted to buy the Player's Handbook. They only had $40 between them and both were pyched about buying one. I saw their predicament and I ofeered to buy the books for them for the difference of the cost. They walked out of the store with a huge smile on their faces.

Back in '01 I was with my group and one of them wanted to buy Sword & Fist to better the fighter that he hwas playing. He was also new to the game, only having gamed with us for about a month, four 1 session per week. He had a good handle on the rules and I could tell he had potential. He only had $12. So each member of the rest of the group put up $2 each (which amounted to $10). He was a happy camper.

I have also on several occassions buy full sets of dice and hand them out to people just getting into th hobby. I've done this probably about fifteen times.

Jubilee

First Post
shadowbloodmoon said:
Or at least she was going to until their mother came in...

I'm curious...

Did the mother refuse to allow the children to get a set of dice, or did the mother herself buy the dice.. or did your wife simply lose the opportunity to approach them?

/ali

Last edited:

Remove ads