• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do alignments improve the gaming experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheadunne

Explorer
You're either impartial or your not... I don't think there's a more strict and less strict impartial. But we can just chalk this up to vastly different experiences...

Could be.

Do you decide the outcome of talking with the ogres? Do you decide the result of a fight with he ogres? Do you decide whether hiding from the ogres was successful or not...

The outcome is irrelevant, it is the reflection of the character that matters. Did the outcome change the way the character views the world? The the outcome reinforce his belief in something. Those are the story elements I'm interest in.

Yet if a player is in charge of deciding what his code is (the obstacle) and whether he overcomes a moral quandary or not (the outcome)... isn't he deciding he beat the ogre/quandary?

The code is not an obstacle at least as I understand it or use it. It's a goal. The challenges created by the DM are used to test that goal (sticking to the code or failing it).

Wait what? How about instead of a pithy one liner you elaborate a little on that because it seems like you're claiming that you as a player know your character's morality better then the DM (without any chance of this being incorrect) but a DM doesn't know an NPC or monsters morality better than you do?? Please explain how that works...

I assumed you were still talking about deities and the paladin code. Once a character takes a resource during character creation (i.e. the act of playing a paladin) that resource is now in the players hands, even if it was originally created by the DM. The player knows what the code is and how it applies to his character better than the DM. In my experience this is true.

The GM would still decide what creatures cause sanity loss... and how much sanity loss a particular creature would cause... subjective.

Again, it's the action resolution mechanics that are not subjective. How much and what creature are irrelevant to me (although I hope the game would balance those aspects appropriately for good play). I'm am not advocating the removing of alignment (although I don't have much attachment to it) only that it has resolution mechanics (roll a dice) or that it exist purely in the real of narrative without mechanic implications (lose of abilities).

There would still be gray areas, holes, etc. in the chart since all actions that could conceivably cause a check couldn't be covered without the chart becoming ridiculous... thus certain actions would have to be subjectively judged. It's not about whether in your mind or with your intentions if the action is against deity X's code... it's the fact that you are not deity X and thus you don't dictate what his code means...

I mean if I'm playing a paladin of Bahamut, and I decide that killing baby chromatic dragons is a good act, but Bahamut doesn't think so (because secretly in the GM's campaign setting chromatic baby dragons can transform into metallics if they choose to do good) and I'm told by the GM, either through Bahamut somehow or straight out that killing those baby dragons is an evil act in Bahamut's eyes... who am I to say it isn't evil and is good if I've sworn to follow Bahamut?

Once the code becomes part of the character it is in the hands of the character, not the DM. The DM can challenge that code through the use of action resolution mechanics (if there were any) or through the use of narrative (as long as there isn't any mechanical implications, i.e. changes to the character's resources). D&D alignment (and some other elements, mostly spells) exist in a gray area between narrative and mechanics that leads to issues in my opinion.

sheadunne

Explorer
I have no idea what this means.

If I narrate, "I swing my sword at the orc, hoping to chop off its head.", or really anything else I propose for my character to do, I generally expect my proposition to have mechanical as well as narrative consequences. If I narrate, "I jump off the cliff, hoping to miss the rocks in the rapids below", I expect that to have mechanical as well as narrative consequences.

So if I narrate, "I swing my sword at the infant, hoping to chop off its head." or if I narrate, "I take Sheila into my arms and break my oath of chastity", why should I expect that to not have mechanical as well as narrative consequences?

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying, and that's on me for not explaining the difference when I use the two terms.

When I talk about mechanic resolution I'm talking about a die roll. An impartial resolution to the situation where there are clear mechanical implications (HP loss for getting hit by an attack roll).

When I talk about narrative consequences, I'm talking about the DM framing scenes which further challenge the failed code of the paladin but do not take away resources (like HP or sanity points).

Both of first two examples require a resolution mechanic (a die roll). In which way does breaking the code have a resolution mechanic? What dice are being rolled to arbitrate between the DM and the player? In the existing model the DM decides the action and the resolution. There is no recourse for the player. No impartial arbitrator of the narrative (dice being rolled).

Really???

Yes, in my experience.

You might not like the mechanical resolution, and we might both agree its a pretty blunt instrument but, "If you knowingly violate the tenants of your alignment or code of conduct, you permanently lose all class abilities", is very much a resolution mechanic.

There is no resolution mechanics. No dice are being rolled. This is a narrative consequence that is effecting a characters resources without any recourse by the player (i.e. by using a resolution mechanic). The DM telling the player that his character is now LE is not a mechanic. It's fiat. If there was a roll to determine if it happened, then it would be a mechanic.

pemerton

Legend
You are a proponent of DMs (and only DMs) framing scenes since you worry that the players may frame themselves into easy situations or with easy obstacles to overcome
Correct.

yet you trust the paladin player to adjudicate his own actions when it comes to his code. Why don't you share the same concerns when it comes to the paladin, since he is in essence (through creating his own code, deciding the gray areas of the code, and having the ability to ignore it if he truly wants) also choosing whether a moral obstacle or scene is weak or strong
To me this seems to be quite different.

Any obstacle is an obstacle only relevant to a motivation. In technical terms, a "scene" expresses a hypothetical imperative: if you want to achieve X, then you are going to have to overcome Y. My concern about players framing scenes is that they will squib when it comes to specifying what Y is. Hence I prefer GM authority with respect to Y. But when I frame a scene, I am taking for granted a particular value of X.

For instance, in my most recent session the PCs were trudging through the icy tunnels of the Shadowdark, on the far side of the Soul Slough, heading for Torog's Soul Abattoir where they hope to destroy the Abattoir and defeat Torog. En route they were attacked by a beholder death emperor and the Worm of Ages. Thus, the hypothetical syllogism was framed: if you want to get to the Soul Abattoir, you must overcome the death emperor and the Worm. (This is the basic structure for all romatnic quest stories, I think.)

But the scene I've framed is only a challenge if the value of X is held constant. If the PCs decide to give up on Torog and the Soul Abattoir, then they don't have to overome the death emperor and the Worm: they can just run away back to their waiting planar dromond, and on their phantom steeds they have a better movement speed than either of those monsters. Part of the skill of GMing in a non-railroad but non-sandbox style is having a sound intuition on what "X" is for the players (this is "the GM being hooked by the players"), and this is why games in this style use devices - formal or informal - so that the players can tell GMs what "X" is for them.

The paladin's code is one value of, or one component of, "X" for the paladin player. Given that value of X, I as GM can fairly easily frame a moral challenge.

If the player changes, or has changed, that value of X - ie what s/he takes his/her PC's obligations to be - then a scene that would have been a challlenge may not be. But that is no more an issue for GMing a paladin then for GMing any other PC. If the player of the fighter decides s/he no longer cares what the king thinks of his/her PC, then the delicate negotiation scene that I framed may turn out not to be a big challenge after all!

Handling these changes of X - which naturally occur from time to time as the game is played and PCs evolve - and reading those changes, whether expressed formally or informally, and responding to them in a flexible way, is another GMing skill. Sometimes it turns out that X has changed faster than the GM anticipated, and what was intended as a challenging Y turns out not to be. Or perhaps the nature of the challenge changes - here is an example from actual play:

The PCs in my 4e game were raiding a goblin stronghold (the Chamber of Eyes from H2) and while the goblins fell back and regrouped, the PCs ducked into a small room to take a breather. They found themselves in the room of a couple of duergar slave traders, who had been keeping their heads down during the fighting.

The module author certainly assumed that if/when the PCs encountered these duergar, a fight would ensue. And that had been my default assumption also. But on this particular occasion the players were fairly low on resources (hence they had decided their PCs would take a short rest) and they also didn't feel any special animosity towards the duergar. So the scene went in a different direction: the PCs negotiated with the duergar to redeem the slaves for an agreed price on an agreed date in a nearby town. (Resolved as a skill challenge.)​

That's an example of X changing, or at least turning out to be something different from what I as GM anticipated, and the nature of the Y therefore also changing in a flexible way. I haven't found GMing paladins to raise any special problems in this regard.

Burning Wheel, which has a formal technique for the signalling of X by players - namely, Beliefs - also has a rule that a player may change a Belief at any time, but that the GM may delay the implimenation of a change of Belief if s/he thinks it is being done simply to wriggle out of a difficult situation that the GM has framed for that player and his/her PC. Because, in D&D, there is no comparably formal system, there is no corresponding formal power in the GM to stop the player squibbing. In my own play, if I feel that the player is not really feeling the force of the moral challenge of the Y in the way s/he is playing his/her PC in response to it, I (verbally) poke and prod the player, perhaps making comments like "What would Moradin think?" or reminding them of some grievance they've been nursing from some earlier episode of play - in other words, informal techniques for the GM corresponding to informal signalling of "X" by the players. (Those informal techniques may seem obvious - I personally didn't work them out myself, though, but learned them from an excellent GM running a Cthulhu freeform at a convention in Melbourne in 1992.)

I am under the assumption that anyone who makes a character has a story they want to tell.

<snip>

The GM sets up challenges and based on the type of story the players want to tell, they interact with them. I assumed this was the normal way people played RPGs, it's certainly been my experience.
I see this as being in the same general neighbourhood of my Xs and Ys above: the player has some desire or goal for his/her PC, and the GM frames challenges that must be overcome if that goal is to be realised.

As GM I will discuss the Xs with the playes as part of campaign set-up, post-game reflection etc - that is part and parcel of everyone being on the same page with the game - but during play it is the players who have authority over the Xs, and what counts as satisfying or thwarting X. My job is to keep piling on enjoyable Ys.

I have no problem separating myself from my character and judging my character based on the actions taken. (it is the player judging the characters actions, not the character judging his own actions).

<snip>

Nothing for me is more immersion breaking than a GM imposing himself on my character. He should present challenges that put the character's morality and ethics to the test, but the internal results of those challenges, when it comes to the character, should be left to the player who better understands the morality of the character himself
This all works for me. I also agree with your account of "narrative" consequences - upthread I think I've used the phrase "story consequences".

One of my assumptions - building on your idea that "anyone who builds a PC has a story they want to tell" - is that the players, having built a PC with goal X, care about X as an element of the unfolding fiction. Hence they will care about "narrative consequences" like (for instance, in my game where the paladin turned on the heavens) angels and the like no longer treating them as friends/allies.

I know this is not true for all RPGers - some prefer a "step on up" sort of game where the main action is in the accruing of XP and treasure, and the story element is mostly just a flavour context for play - but for my techniques to work for me they don't have to be applicable to all RPGing at all times and places - just for me and my group!

one of the classic (as in, found in the source material that inspired the class) challenges of playing a Paladin- the risk of losing one's divinely granted boons if/when one goes against the tenets of one's faith or violated their vows- becomes, in a sense, optional.

And that just doesn't feel...right.
In one sense it's always optional, in that it requires someone to make a decision that is not forced upon them. The question currently at issue is whether that will be the player or the GM - and a secondary question is whether that should lead to a signficiantly reduced mechanical effectiveness for the PC (I don't see why it should - after all, other players who spurn the gods don't therefore get stuck with less mechanically effective PCs - hence my preference for blackguard conversion rules, even if they are a little cartoony as written).

But being a paladin, cleric, etc. is about accepting the moral tenets of something or someone else and following them.
I don't involve the deities directly, nor do they have any direct influence on the game itself. When I run games I don't "play the deity."
I do involve the deities directly in my game, but I take it for granted that if one of the players is playing a cleric or paladin of that deity then I am not the only one who has a stake in that NPC. Just as if I bring a PC's parent, or hometown, into play, the player of that PC has a stake in that too.

So, for instance, in my 4e campaign more than one of the Raven Queen worshippers has met with and interacted directly with their god, played by me as an NPC - mostly in the course of being resurrected - but that doesn't mean I assume I'm at liberty to have her do whatever I might feel like, including stripping them of their abilities based on an adverse moral judgement.

I see this as a special case of a more general principle - that in certain mechanical situations the GM does not have sole authority over NPC behaviour. So, for instance, if the game involves morale rules, and the NPC fails a morale check, then the GM is obliged to honour that. Or, if (as in 4e, for instance) the game has social resolution mechanics, and the players by dint of those mechanics extract some concession or favour from an NPC, then the GM is not at liberty to just disregard that (any more than s/he can just disregard a damage roll against an NPC's hit points during combat) - s/he is obliged to honour that.

So in the case of a god, or a PC family or hometown, the player has automatically acquired a stake in that simply by dint of PC creation. And as a GM I am obliged to honour that.

That's not to say I can't test it. For instance, the invoker/wizard in my game has an imp familiar, who is a watcher sent by the arch-devil Levistus to keep tabs on him. I can use this set up to push and prod that player, and even to contribute to the framing of a challenge - but in the final analysis the player bought that imp familiar with PC build resources, and so I don't have licence just to competely rob the player of his familiar and have it turn on him because "that's what Levistus would do". Levistus and his imp servants are no longer my sole property in the game.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
The outcome is irrelevant, it is the reflection of the character that matters. Did the outcome change the way the character views the world? The the outcome reinforce his belief in something. Those are the story elements I'm interest in.
Likewise.

The code is not an obstacle at least as I understand it or use it. It's a goal. The challenges created by the DM are used to test that goal (sticking to the code or failing it).
Yes - as per my above post, the code is a player-chosen/created "X" which the GM then puts to the test by creating salient challenges ("Y"s).

sheadunne

Explorer
I do involve the deities directly in my game, but I take it for granted that if one of the players is playing a cleric or paladin of that deity then I am not the only one who has a stake in that NPC. Just as if I bring a PC's parent, or hometown, into play, the player of that PC has a stake in that too.

So in the case of a god, or a PC family or hometown, the player has automatically acquired a stake in that simply by dint of PC creation. And as a GM I am obliged to honour that.

That's not to say I can't test it. For instance, the invoker/wizard in my game has an imp familiar, who is a watcher sent by the arch-devil Levistus to keep tabs on him. I can use this set up to push and prod that player, and even to contribute to the framing of a challenge - but in the final analysis the player bought that imp familiar with PC build resources, and so I don't have licence just to competely rob the player of his familiar and have it turn on him because "that's what Levistus would do". Levistus and his imp servants are no longer my sole property in the game.

I hadn't considered it in that way before. I've always just left the deities out of the picture. I'll have to think on that. I've rarely if ever used deities as NPCs so it'll be new territory.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In one sense it's always optional, in that it requires someone to make a decision that is not forced upon them. The question currently at issue is whether that will be the player or the GM - and a secondary question is whether that should lead to a signficiantly reduced mechanical effectiveness for the PC (I don't see why it should - after all, other players who spurn the gods don't therefore get stuck with less mechanically effective PCs - hence my preference for blackguard conversion rules, even if they are a little cartoony as written).

Well, RAW (in games with an alignment system), the only sense in which its optional is whether one chooses to play a class with alignment-based restrictions with attendant consequences.

And, IMHO, there is no question as to whose responsibility it is to enforce the consequences of a PC violating his vow: the GM; the rules arbiter/world runner. The players control the PCs actions, but it is thE GM's duty to control and narrate to the players how those actions reverberate within the campaign world. As it is with normal NPCs, so it is with divine ones.

In one of our group's campaigns, one of the PCs* violated a Prince's edict about proselytizing within the boundaries of his domain. This rule was not secret, and the player had his (priest) PC try to build a following for his faith anyway. For his trouble, the PC was arrested, tried, and exiled. The player felt he had done no wrong, but the GM** enforced the Prince's edict.

This is no different than the interaction of a wayward Paladin and his patron. The Paladin has rules to follow, imposed upon him by another, more powerful being. As the "show runner", it's the DM's duty, not the player's privilege, to decide when the NPC's rules hav been violated by the PC, and what consequences should follow.

* not mine

** not me

D'karr

Adventurer
In one of our group's campaigns, one of the PCs* violated a Prince's edict about proselytizing within the boundaries of his domain. This rule was not secret, and the player had his (priest) PC try to build a following for his faith anyway. For his trouble, the PC was arrested, tried, and exiled. The player felt he had done no wrong, but the GM** enforced the Prince's edict.

This seems exactly in line with what [MENTION=27570]sheadunne[/MENTION] had mentioned in an earlier post. These are "narrative" consequences (put in jail) to a "narrative" situation (disobeying NPC edict). Not mechanical consequences (losing PC clerical powers) to a narrative situation (disobeying an NPC).

This is no different than the interaction of a wayward Paladin and his patron. The Paladin has rules to follow, imposed upon him by another, more powerful being. As the "show runner", it's the DM's duty, not the player's privilege, to decide when the NPC's rules have been violated by the PC, and what consequences should follow.

It is quite different. This situation involves the stripping of mechanical class features based on an arbitrary ruling, sometimes a secret arbitrary ruling, of a completely subjective and "narrative" situation. This is what I absolutely hate about the "classic" alignment "purported mechanics". They are not mechanics at all.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This seems exactly in line with what [MENTION=27570]sheadunne[/MENTION] had mentioned in an earlier post. These are "narrative" consequences (put in jail) to a "narrative" situation (disobeying NPC edict). Not mechanical consequences (losing PC clerical powers) to a narrative situation (disobeying an NPC)..

In this case, the narrative consequence was "roll a new PC, because that one has been exiled" because the campaign was centered within that Prince's domain. Losing powers that can be regained is, comparatively speaking, small potatoes.

It is quite different. This situation involves the stripping of mechanical class features based on an arbitrary ruling, sometimes a secret arbitrary ruling, of a completely subjective and "narrative" situation. This is what I absolutely hate about the "classic" alignment "purported mechanics". They are not mechanics at all.
Arbitrary? I don't think so, not unless your GM doesn't belong on that side of the screen.

At any rate, I stand by my position: players play their PCs, GMs determine how those PCs actions are reacted to within the campaign world. The scenarios described differs only in details, not nature.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
The Paladin has rules to follow, imposed upon him by another, more powerful being. As the "show runner", it's the DM's duty, not the player's privilege, to decide when the NPC's rules hav been violated by the PC, and what consequences should follow.
players play their PCs, GMs determine how those PCs actions are reacted to within the campaign world. The scenarios described differs only in details, not nature.
As I set out in my reply to [MENTION=27570]sheadunne[/MENTION] about involving deities in the game, I don't actually share this conception of the GM's authority.

But I also have a second, distinct, reason for not sharing your view that the scenarios differ only in details.

In the case of the proselytising priest, the player has formed a view about what is proper for his/her PC to do. The GM has posed an obstacle to that (namely, the prince's objections). The player has pushed against that obstacle, and lost. The player's conception of his/her PC has not been invalidated, although from what you're saying the GM in question was not using "fail forward" methods, and so the player is not able to keep using that PC in the game.

In the case of the paladin, the player has formed a view about what is proper for his/her PC to do. The GM, playing the role of the divine, has decided that the player is wrong about that. Furthermore, within the fiction, it is almost unthinkable that the divine entity is making a moral error - s/he is an immortal being of LG with 25+ INT and WIS living in the Seven Heavens. Thus, the player's conception of his/her PC has been radically invalidated.

Whether or not one thinks the game should permit a player's conception of his/her PC to be radically invalidated is a different thing. As best I can tell, [MENTION=6681948]N'raac[/MENTION] and [MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION] think that it should, because in this way the experience of the player reflects the experience of the character, who has been condemned by his/her god for misjudging what is proper. I hope I've made it clear that I prefer a game in which the player's conception of his/her PC is not invalidated, and as [MENTION=27570]sheadunne[/MENTION] has explained that therefore involves a player/character split.

But whatever one's view about the matters discussed in the previous paragraph, I think it is plausible to see that there is a difference in nature between the two episodes. Because only one involves the player being told that his/her conception of his/her PC was mistaken.

Imaro

Legend
As I set out in my reply to @sheadunne about involving deities in the game, I don't actually share this conception of the GM's authority.

But I also have a second, distinct, reason for not sharing your view that the scenarios differ only in details.

In the case of the proselytising priest, the player has formed a view about what is proper for his/her PC to do. The GM has posed an obstacle to that (namely, the prince's objections). The player has pushed against that obstacle, and lost. The player's conception of his/her PC has not been invalidated, although from what you're saying the GM in question was not using "fail forward" methods, and so the player is not able to keep using that PC in the game.

In the case of the paladin, the player has formed a view about what is proper for his/her PC to do. The GM, playing the role of the divine, has decided that the player is wrong about that. Furthermore, within the fiction, it is almost unthinkable that the divine entity is making a moral error - s/he is an immortal being of LG with 25+ INT and WIS living in the Seven Heavens. Thus, the player's conception of his/her PC has been radically invalidated.

Whether or not one thinks the game should permit a player's conception of his/her PC to be radically invalidated is a different thing. As best I can tell, @N'raac and @Imaro think that it should, because in this way the experience of the player reflects the experience of the character, who has been condemned by his/her god for misjudging what is proper. I hope I've made it clear that I prefer a game in which the player's conception of his/her PC is not invalidated, and as @sheadunne has explained that therefore involves a player/character split.

But whatever one's view about the matters discussed in the previous paragraph, I think it is plausible to see that there is a difference in nature between the two episodes. Because only one involves the player being told that his/her conception of his/her PC was mistaken.

Could you please define what exactly PC "conception" encompasses?? Because I'm a little unclear from your post... I mean can part of PC conception be that you can't be wrong about something (i.e. the paladin cannot be wrong about how he interprets the code of another being or cosmological force)?? Also I'm a little confused if I am understanding your usage of the word conception since it would seem, by the very nature of choosing to play the paladin class in every edition (except 4e) the selection of said class also encompasses the possibility of falling (whatever that means in the context of an individual edition) as well as (at least in 3.x) the possibility of atonement... so I am not seeing how a paladin falling is in fact invalidating conception of said character... or am I not understanding your usage of the word correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads