• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do alignments improve the gaming experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N'raac

First Post
2. The Simulationists (with a heavy dose of immersionists)

With @N'raac, he's approaching things heavily from a world building point of view. If a player (and thus a character because for an immersionist, there should be little to no difference) can define morality, then there isn't any morality in the world. It's like the situation with the Glabrezu wish that got brought up earlier in the thread. For N'raac, you use the alignment mechanics to increase the difficulty to gain a free wish because if it was easy, everyone in the world who could, would do it. For me, the world can go hang. I'd allow the wishes to go through because it would make an interesting story. Which brings us to the third corner of the triangle:

I don't know why we keep coming back to the Glabrezu, but I don't find the issue to be about alignment. It's about his mechanics - specifically, that either
the wish is used to create pain and suffering in the world
or
the glabrezu demands either terrible evil acts or great sacrifice as compensation

The purpose of asking for a wish from the Glabrezu also seems to be adjusting, as you originally presented it as an example of the trivial ease with which a spellcaster could access unlimited wishes, a purpose which seems much more akin to an effort to play on God Mode than to create an interesting narrative. The thread in question asserted that the non-spellcasters were shut out of the game because the spellcasters took over the narrative, so it was not presented as a means of creating an interesting narrative for everyone, but of the specific player taking over the game. The wish itself kept changing, trying to find something sufficiently evil to be granted, so it did not seem to fit into any kind of narrative. I recall killing a high priest, killing a King and destroying an orphanage. I'm sure there were a few others. I don't believe we ever addressed whether the character was an exemplar of LG beliefs throughout his demon summoning and Evil wish-making, but I suppose if the player wants t claim that, it furthers a narrative just as coherent.

3. The Narativists.

The goal for Nar play is to create an interesting story through the collaboration of the entire table. This isn't simply collective story telling though since we also have the additional random element of the mechanics. N'raac brings up the idea of the two paladins, with one deciding to torture a prisoner and justifying it through the idea of the "greater good". He talks about how it would be a great game for a player, knowing that it was evil, to still choose to fall. And, yeah, that could be great.

But, the problem for me, is that's the DM's story, not the player's. The DM is telling the player, "That is an evil act, if you do that, you will violate your paladin's oath". The player can then choose to follow the DM's story or not, but, at no point can he tell his own story.

OK, you lost me. Are we telling a collaborative story, or this one player's own story which no one else at the table has any right to interfere with?
For me, the cooler story would be for the player to choose to go through with it. As a DM, you can bet that I'm going to run with that. What can be justified for the greater good? How far will this character go? What about the next time? What about the other character? What if he sees that the ends actually do justify the means and chooses to change his character. This just adds all sorts of conflicts into the party and I'm going to be in the corner giggling like a concussed monkey on peyote.

Well, given there are no consequences, I guess Player 1 does whatever he sees fit, and Player 2 can either continue role playing his vision of his character, becoming an opponent of Player 1, or toss his own morals out the window as well. Apparently, the Gods are all concussed monkeys on peyote anyway.

Play style will certainly enter into the matter - it permeates the game - but I don't see how "do whatever you want and the higher powers will be presumed to agree with you" falls inside any specific playstyle.

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
<snip>

For me, the cooler story would be for the player to choose to go through with it. As a DM, you can bet that I'm going to run with that. What can be justified for the greater good? How far will this character go? What about the next time? What about the other character? What if he sees that the ends actually do justify the means and chooses to change his character. This just adds all sorts of conflicts into the party and I'm going to be in the corner giggling like a concussed monkey on peyote.

Again, no one is wrong here. Everyone is actually right, but the criteria are very different and that needs to be kept in mind when discussing this. Pemerton's approach likely won't work at Imaro's table, for example. His players and Imaro himself would likely balk at this style of play. That does not make Pemerton wrong though. It's just a different way of gaming.

So if the ends can justify the means, when does the paladin fall -- when the expected ends aren't achieved or ever?

For example, in the torture scenario, a paladin decides to torture someone because the greater good will be achieved (say a mad bomber needs to be stopped). The other paladin storms off unwilling to participate.

Potential Resolution #1
The torture takes place. The paladin rushes off with his vital information and stops the bomb. Does he now fall? The torture accomplished good, but still caused evil. Or does the fact the paladin helped the greater good absolve him from the evil in the commission of torture?

Potential Resolution #2
The torture takes place. The paladin rushes off with his vital information but fails to stop the bomb. Does he now fall? The torture accomplished no good, and still caused evil. Or does the fact the paladin expected it to help the greater good absolve him from the evil in the commission of torture? In which case, so long as the character always has good intentions, can anything be justified? If so, is the paladin an exemplar for anything other than intentions since end results need never occur?

Potential Resolution #3
The torture takes place. The paladin rushes off with false information and because of his side trek, fails to stop the bomber. Does he now fall? His evil act prevented good from happening.

Potential Resolution #4
The torture takes place. No information is gained as the subject didn't know what the paladin thought he did. Does he now fall? His evil act caused no good.

Potential Resolution #5
The torture takes place. The second paladin stops the bomber before the paladin's information could be put to use. Does he now fall? His evil act caused no good.

Hussar

Legend
Nagol, remember, for me the paladin falls when the player says he does. That's for the player to decide. And any of those results would lead to interesting play.

Hussar

Legend
I do not regard myself as a simulationist.

Why not? You said that you want to explore the DM's setting. That's what sim play is all about. You aren't really interested in defeating challenges and creating a collaborative story isn't your goal.

How would you characterize yourself?

Arduin's

First Post
You aren't really interested in defeating challenges and creating a collaborative story isn't your goal.

What's a "collaborative story"? Story (n) A recital of events that have happened (past tense) or have alleged to have happened.

Are you running a PC in real time or are you sitting around with other players telling stories about what you played in the past?

The former is NOT a story, the latter IS.

Why not? You said that you want to explore the DM's setting. That's what sim play is all about. You aren't really interested in defeating challenges and creating a collaborative story isn't your goal.

How would you characterize yourself?

We have already had this conversation. I do not wish to debate GNS again. Sufficient to say I think the model is a bad one, and do not find it at all helpful to label myself a simulationist. I want a setting gaff feels real, I also want lots of other things. I never said anything about 'exploring' the GM's concepts of alignment (pemerton did). I just want the setting to feel like a real thing outside my character. If you want to apply GNS labels to yourself, feel free. Find those categories reductive and artificial. GNS has a huge number of problems. One of its biggest issues is how it tries to define simulationist.

N'raac

First Post
So if the ends can justify the means, when does the paladin fall -- when the expected ends aren't achieved or ever?

For example, in the torture scenario, a paladin decides to torture someone because the greater good will be achieved (say a mad bomber needs to be stopped). The other paladin storms off unwilling to participate.

Potential Resolution #1
The torture takes place. The paladin rushes off with his vital information and stops the bomb. Does he now fall? The torture accomplished good, but still caused evil. Or does the fact the paladin helped the greater good absolve him from the evil in the commission of torture?

Potential Resolution #2
The torture takes place. The paladin rushes off with his vital information but fails to stop the bomb. Does he now fall? The torture accomplished no good, and still caused evil. Or does the fact the paladin expected it to help the greater good absolve him from the evil in the commission of torture? In which case, so long as the character always has good intentions, can anything be justified? If so, is the paladin an exemplar for anything other than intentions since end results need never occur?

Potential Resolution #3
The torture takes place. The paladin rushes off with false information and because of his side trek, fails to stop the bomber. Does he now fall? His evil act prevented good from happening.

Potential Resolution #4
The torture takes place. No information is gained as the subject didn't know what the paladin thought he did. Does he now fall? His evil act caused no good.

Potential Resolution #5
The torture takes place. The second paladin stops the bomber before the paladin's information could be put to use. Does he now fall? His evil act caused no good.

Nagol, remember, for me the paladin falls when the player says he does. That's for the player to decide. And any of those results would lead to interesting play.

We're really back to the division of decisionmaking between player and GM. Why should we not let the player make other important decisions, any of which may lead to interesting play, like:

- whether the torture succeeds or the subject resists?
- whether the subject had useful info at all?
- the timing , including whether the info is extracted in time for the Paladin to stop the bomber?
- whether having found the bomber, the Paladin succeeds in stopping him, or fails?

And why can't the second Paladin decide that he prays and receives a flash of insight, so he hurries off to find the bomber while the first is still busily torturing his prisoner?

For that matter, who decided there was a bomber, and that he is mad, and that there is someone who may now his whereabouts, and that we were able to successfully take him prisoner?

Shared storytelling seems like it would share that around the table - which may mean another player's contribution to the story is that the act of Torture causes a reaction from the Forces of Good against the torturer? After all, that second Paladin has a right to his concept that the powers of a Holy Warrior require ongoing devotion to Good to be retained, doesn't he? Alternatively, if the issue is Player 2 being able to change Player 1's character, why can't Player 2 decide this greater devotion results in a reward for his Paladin? Meanwhile, Player 3 feels his Wizard has so perfectly exemplified the ideals of LG that he should have all the divine powers of Paladins added to his character sheet as well.

It seems like a lot of this "sanctity of character concept" discussion limits what aspects are actually in the player's control, on a basis I find pretty arbitrary.

Hussar

Legend
What's a "collaborative story"? Story (n) A recital of events that have happened (past tense) or have alleged to have happened.

Are you running a PC in real time or are you sitting around with other players telling stories about what you played in the past?

The former is NOT a story, the latter IS.

You cannot create a story in real time? That's an interesting point of view. Not one I share, but interesting nonetheless. What does improv theater do if it doesn't create a story in real time?

We have already had this conversation. I do not wish to debate GNS again. Sufficient to say I think the model is a bad one, and do not find it at all helpful to label myself a simulationist. I want a setting gaff feels real, I also want lots of other things. I never said anything about 'exploring' the GM's concepts of alignment (pemerton did). I just want the setting to feel like a real thing outside my character. If you want to apply GNS labels to yourself, feel free. Find those categories reductive and artificial. GNS has a huge number of problems. One of its biggest issues is how it tries to define simulationist.

You want a setting that feels (I assume that's an autocorrect gaff in the quote :) ) real to you. You want it to feel like a real thing outside of your character. That's about as simulationist an approach as it gets AFAIK. Your goal is a functioning world that is independent of the characters. That might not be the only goal, but it is a goal.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

We're really back to the division of decisionmaking between player and GM. Why should we not let the player make other important decisions, any of which may lead to interesting play, like:

- whether the torture succeeds or the subject resists?

Irrelevant. Governed by the mechanics of the game which was agreed to before play began. There are systems where things work that way, but, D&D isn't one of them. The Intimidation rules are pretty clear on how this sort of thing is resolved in D&D.

- whether the subject had useful info at all?

Well, I'd say that if the paladin goes through with things, and the DM simply says, "Nope, he didn't know anything", that would violate the whole "interesting story" part. That's just a dick move by the DM. And, since the guy being tortured here (how did he become a bomber?) is an NPC, then he falls under the DM to run. No one has questioned that.

- the timing , including whether the info is extracted in time for the Paladin to stop the bomber?

Governed by the mechanics. Again, Intimidate rules apply. The players know that and would act appropriately

- whether having found the bomber, the Paladin succeeds in stopping him, or fails?

Because we all sat down to play a game and we agreed, in sitting down, that success and failure is governed by the mechanics and the dice. For the same reason you don't get to declare that your attack hit or miss.

However, no one agreed that you get to force your singular interpretations of alignment to the exclusion of all other interpretations, onto the players at my table. At your table, fine and dandy. But not at mine. Alignment is subject to multiple reasonable interpretations that are supportable by the phrasing of the mechanics. I do not want to play at a table where the DM has decided that his, and his alone, interpretation is the only valid one.

And why can't the second Paladin decide that he prays and receives a flash of insight, so he hurries off to find the bomber while the first is still busily torturing his prisoner?

What mechanics would allow for this? Is there any power that the paladin has that would do this? If not, then why does the paladin player feel that he is entitled to much up new rules on the fly?

For that matter, who decided there was a bomber, and that he is mad, and that there is someone who may now his whereabouts, and that we were able to successfully take him prisoner?

Umm, the DM? Again, no one has said that the DM cannot introduce or control NPC's? Nor has anyone claimed that the DM cannot introduce complications or setting elements. Everything would have had to have been played out and been the results of play.

Shared storytelling seems like it would share that around the table - which may mean another player's contribution to the story is that the act of Torture causes a reaction from the Forces of Good against the torturer

After all, that second Paladin has a right to his concept that the powers of a Holy Warrior require ongoing devotion to Good to be retained, doesn't he? Alternatively, if the issue is Player 2 being able to change Player 1's character, why can't Player 2 decide this greater devotion results in a reward for his Paladin? Meanwhile, Player 3 feels his Wizard has so perfectly exemplified the ideals of LG that he should have all the divine powers of Paladins added to his character sheet as well.

It seems like a lot of this "sanctity of character concept" discussion limits what aspects are actually in the player's control, on a basis I find pretty arbitrary.

How is it arbitrary? Or, rather, any more arbitrary than simply following the rules of the game? The game rules don't allow the player to force a reaction from the Forces of Good, nor do they allow Player 3 to add powers to his character sheet.

You are simply stuck in this idea that the rules are somehow the physics of the world. This is not a criteria that is shared here. The wizard cannot add paladin powers since that's not, in any way, conducive to the criteria of "an interesting narrative". Now, the wizard could start taking paladin levels or multiclass into paladin, or behave the way a paladin might sans the actual paladin powers, but, that's a separate issue.

But, of course there are limits on what the player controls. That's never been in contention. Players don't get to dictate NPC behaviors, for example. They generally don't get to dictate scenario elements. They certainly don't get to contradict previously established facts.

They don't do that because it would run counter to "creating an interesting narrative".

Like I said, I am not going to debate GNS again, but I do not feel simulationist as a label offers any insight into my play style. I certainly don't find it useful for myself as a category.

Hussar

Legend
Like I said, I am not going to debate GNS again, but I do not feel simulationist as a label offers any insight into my play style. I certainly don't find it useful for myself as a category.

Ok, fair enough. Ignore the label then. Would you say that I have correctly characterised your criteria though? Even if it is mislabeled? You want a believable world that exists independent of the characters, correct? Allowing the players to define alignment would make that world less believable since it would mean that morality in the game world would be fluid, as in not nailed down. Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads