• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do Animal Companion Bonus HD Increase Size? Should They?

Arkhandus

First Post
It just came up in one of my games, but, does anyone know what the official word is on this? Stuff from the Sage or the FAQ or something? And I haven't tried comparing low-level animal companions to higher-level ones with the low-level ones increased in size, but......has anyone done that to see which ruling would be better?

I'm inclined to rule in favor of the ranger's wolf companion growing to Large size at his current level, due to its bonus HD, but not sure if I should. The size increase would make it much stronger and much better at tripping enemies with its bite.

Darklone

If you consider to houserule the sizechange, be warned. I tried it in a very high powered gestalt campaign with mucho magick items and it was still borderline strong.

Pinotage

Explorer
There's a trade off between taking a lower-level companion versus a higher level one, and that's AC vs attack. The lower-level ones get great AC at higher HD and levels, but lower attack, whereas the higher level companions have low AC but great attacks.

Pinotage

Runestar

First Post
The FAQ has ruled that bonus HD will not improve a companion's size.

Just as well, I suppose. Being large also means hefty physical stat boosts, and the size increase might make it unsuitable to bring along into a dungeon.

Arkhandus

First Post
Thanks for the link. :) Animals part 4 had the answer. Skip's made a few mistakes before as the Sage, but in general I trust his judgment on the rules and understanding of the intent behind some of 'em. So I'll go with his interpretation of the animal companion's bonus HD.

Remove ads