• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do bonuses from skill synergy stack?

Azlan

First Post
Do bonuses from skill synergy stack? For example, if you 5 ranks each in Bluff, Knowledge: Nobility & Royalty, and Sense Motive, do you get a +6 bonus, total, to Diplomacy?

Myself, I'm inclined to say no, because the rules under Skill Synergy (page 66 of the PH) state: "It's possible for a character to have two skills that work well together, such as someone with both Jump and Tumble." (Italics added by myself to indicate what I think is the key word, here.)

Are the bonuses from skill synergy named bonuses? If so, what are they? The only named bonus from the list given on page 21 of the DMG that I'd apply to a bonus from a skill synergy is competence. Or maybe a bonus from a skill synergy is simply a synergy bonus? (But there's no such named bonus on that list.) Or maybe a bonus from a skill synergy is an unnamed bonus, therefore it stacks with other such bonuses. Or maybe it's an unnamed bonus, but it does not stack because only two skills can be used together to give such a bonus.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I'd say they stack. Your quote does say "two," but synergy from multiple sources of "two skills that work together" still satisfies that quote. It's not 3 skills working together, it's 3 sets of 2 skills working together.

Azlan

First Post
Creamsteak said:
I'd say they stack. Your quote does say "two," but synergy from multiple sources of "two skills that work together" still satisfies that quote. It's not 3 skills working together, it's 3 sets of 2 skills working together.

I've re-read your sentences, again and again, and I still cannot follow their exact meaning. Your logic escapes me.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Okay. Synergy from "three skills that work together" would be a +2 bonus to Diplomacy if you have 5 ranks in both Bluff and Sense Motive.

This would be a synergy between three skills.

But that's not what happens. You have synergy between two skills - Diplomacy and Bluff - that provides a +2 unnamed bonus to your Diplomacy check.

As a separate instance of synergy, you have synergy between two skills - Diplomacy and Sense Motive - that provides a +2 unnamed bonus to your Diplomacy check.

Since unnamed bonuses stack, you have a total of +4 to your Diplomacy checks... but the only synergies you are making use of are those between two skills.

-Hyp.

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Hyp, you ruined it. I had a great analogy about half cooked up involving three couples at a party, and all the husbands love one of the wives.

As is often said at the Billiards hall, “ That would’ve been great”… :(

-Tatsu

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Tatsukun said:
Hyp, you ruined it. I had a great analogy about half cooked up involving three couples at a party, and all the husbands love one of the wives.

As is often said at the Billiards hall, “ That would’ve been great”… :(

Billiards players swing, then?

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads