• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do creatures/players always know consequences of their actions?

Ninja-to

First Post
The original question was: Do creatures know if the actions they take have negative consequences?

My assasin attacked an Orc, the Orc retaliated with an immediate interrupt and knocked him back and prone, and my assassin lost his encounter power.

The answer is on page 57. Above is exactly what's supposed to happen. I edited my post to have it deleted but I couldnt' find the 'delete thread' button...

Last edited:

1of3

Explorer
It's not the case. To find out about your opponent's powers you need Monster Knowledge checks or other means.

Creatures are supposed to know all conditions placed on them, though. So if the orc marked the character, the character would know. If the orc was a fighter who has special tricks against marked foes, the character would not automatically know about that.

Ninja-to

First Post
It's not the case. To find out about your opponent's powers you need Monster Knowledge checks or other means.

Creatures are supposed to know all conditions placed on them, though. So if the orc marked the character, the character would know. If the orc was a fighter who has special tricks against marked foes, the character would not automatically know about that.

So a creature would know they're marked (-2 to attack) but wouldn't know about a Fighter's Combat Superiority (opportunity attack, and if it hits, stops them moving )? Right?

*Off topic. How do you delete a thread you started?

Last edited:

luide

First Post
Monster will know all immediate consequences of power used on them automatically.

For example Divine challenged monster will know that if they attack someone else than the Paladin, they will get damage.

Monster will not automatically know about combat superiority, but it might, depending on circumstances.
I for example play monster so that stupid/inexperience monsters will generally not know things like CS, but many humanoids will.

babinro

First Post
My understanding was that the monsters know all aspects of a power. Including things like Combat Superiority. I simply DM monsters that are more likely to ignore such consequences such as animals and undead. If I'm wrong about that, it would be nice to know. Such things would make defenders quite a bit stronger.

aco175

Legend
I would most likely give my player his power back, if it never wnet off due to the interupt. If it was a power that included a part of the power, like movement, before the interupt he would lose it. I house rule that an AP can be used for reroll of encounter and daily powers though.

DracoSuave

First Post
I would most likely give my player his power back, if it never wnet off due to the interupt. If it was a power that included a part of the power, like movement, before the interupt he would lose it. I house rule that an AP can be used for reroll of encounter and daily powers though.

I don't.

That's the whole point of interrupts, and monsters don't get many attempts to cancel actions.

But monsterchecks are supposed to tell the players that, and natural monsters are so plentiful that a party without a Nature check or two is shooting itself in the foot.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
*Off topic. How do you delete a thread you started?
You can't; you need a moderator to do it, and you can cast "summon moderator" by clicking on the little triangular "!" at the bottom left of any post. Just ask for the thread to be closed or removed.

That being said, we don't delete many threads. It'll sink down when no one else has anything to say about the subject. :)

Ninja-to

First Post
Cool thanks for the responses.

The power that had the immediate interrupt actually said specifically that it wasted the power used before the interrupt took place.

I asked about deleting the thread only because before anyone had posted I'd found my answer and didn't want to waste time. But it turns out some other points came up so it was worth leaving up after all...

Turtlejay

First Post
Yeah. . .and now this page will end up on the internet forever, so if anyone else has this question and googles it, your thread is likely to turn up. That's why even if I later found I have asked a stuuupid question, I leave it. I'd like to spare anyone else the embarrassment!

Jay

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads