• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do DM's feel that Sharpshooter & Great Weapon Master overpowered?

As a DM do you feel that Sharpshooter & GWM are overpowered?

• Poll closed .

Weird. You are the second person today, in this very same thread, to get called on their bombastic claims, only to try and get cute to avoid answering.

Start a new thread. I guarantee you an answer there.

One reason I didn't answer your question here is that I wasn't even 100% sure which part of the statement you quoted you disagreed with. Are you asking why Fighters make the best archers and greatsword-wielders? Are you asking why they don't make the best tanks and shield bashers? Are you asking which of those opinions I'm willing to defend to the death? I don't want to spend lots of time writing a post when I don't even really know what you're asking, especially discussing tanks and shield bashing is totally off topic for this thread. If you start a new thread I'll at least know for sure what you're asking, assuming that your OP is written with clarity in mind.

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
Start a new thread. I guarantee you an answer there.
Are you saying that your post was off topic and inappropriate for this thread? I certainly said no such thing. I thought they were interesting enough claims, albeit extreme, that I took the time to ask you for more information on how you came to those conclusions.

One reason I didn't answer your question here is that I wasn't even 100% sure which part of the statement you quoted you disagreed with.
Did I say I disagreed? What I said was, "Come again? Using what parameters? What are you basing these claims on?" Yes, all of it. What are you basing all of those statements on?

Are you asking why Fighters make the best archers and greatsword-wielders?
No. I'm asking what you are basing that claim on. What makes you think that?

Are you asking why they don't make the best tanks and shield bashers?
No. I'm asking what you are basing that claim on. What makes you think that?

Are you asking which of those opinions I'm willing to defend to the death?
I don't know. I certainly didn't ask you if you would. Do you feel that strongly about these opinions?

I don't want to spend lots of time writing a post when I don't even really know what you're asking,
I thought I was pretty clear. "Using what parameters? What are you basing these claims on?" Were those questions vague to you?

especially discussing tanks and shield bashing is totally off topic for this thread.
You brought them up. If they are so off topic, why did you do it? (Also, not a vague question.)

If you start a new thread I'll at least know for sure what you're asking, assuming that your OP is written with clarity in mind.
How about you start a thread stating these conclusions and how you came by them. If your OP is written with clarity in mind maybe I'll respond to thank you for explaining yourself and your theories.

The fact that you just asked me twelve belligerent questions, apparently demanding twelve (belligerent?) answers, illustrates exactly why I didn't think it worth the keystrokes it would take to respond in detail to you, and why I think it would derail this thread to respond to you any further here. Goodbye, Corwin.

Last edited:

Corwin

Explorer
That's unfortunate. I was really hoping your statements were based on something substantive, rather than just baseless hyperbole. Just like how you claim I asked you twelve questions. It wasn't. That last post of mine had only eight direct questions (seven if you don't count the same exact question twice in a row). Do you find you are prone to exaggeration in general? Or just here?

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I wonder how many people who voted are actually GM's, and not just players who like the skill...

I almost exclusively DM and I haven't seen any problems with the feat, though our last campaign did not go past mid level. Still seems fine to me.

I don't post here nearly as much as I used to, but from what I remember this forum is very DM heavy. Looking at many responses in this thread, it seems many people posting (on both sides of the issue) DM as well.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
That's unfortunate. I was really hoping your statements were based on something substantive, rather than just baseless hyperbole. Just like how you claim I asked you twelve questions. It wasn't. That last post of mine had only eight direct questions (seven if you don't count the same exact question twice in a row). Do you find you are prone to exaggeration in general? Or just here?

Are you prone to being a jackass in general or just in this thread?

You haven't contributed anything of value to this conversation. Your sniping and gotcha questioning of everyone is ridiculous, infuriating and distracting.

[MENTION=6787650]Hemlock[/MENTION] is one of the most reasonable posters on this board. I'd actually enjoying reading his response to reasonable queries about his findings regarding martial weapon users, but I don't blame him one bit for not engaging with you.

nswanson27

First Post
I wonder how many people who voted are actually GM's, and not just players who like the skill...

Impossible to tell I guess. But this thread had pre-determined bias regardless, so I don't know how much it really matters. It seemed more like a search for ammunition than for facts. When do we start the real discussion, where both DM's and player's input are accepted and valued?

Last edited:

Remove ads