Do Dragons Have an Innate Ability to Take Humanoid Form?

Kel

First Post
It seems to be a common occurrence in games that I've played and/or fiction I've read over the years that dragons frequently take the form of humans, elves, or some other humanoid creature. In my brief review of the MM, I couldn't find any reference to that ability for D&D dragons. Do 3.5 dragons have the ability to do this? If so, where is it written? Do the dragons in your world have this ability?

werk

First Post
All dragons can cast spells as sorcerers, so once they get old enough (if they have high enough Cha), they would be able to alter their appearence or form using spells available.

Bronze, Silver, and Gold dragons have alternate form.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Yes - the metallic dragons (and only the ones listed in the post above) have it as an innate ability.

No - the chromatic dragons (and the metallic dragons not listed above) can do it through other means, most commonly polymorph. But it is still quite possible. And polymorph is a popular spell for humanoids, why not for dragons? [Although personally, I think the image of a chromatic draogn is much more threatening than the image of a polymorphed dragon in humanoid form. Although, that very well may be the point!]

Jack Simth

First Post
Nonlethal Force said:
No - the chromatic dragons (and the metallic dragons not listed above) can do it through other means, most commonly polymorph. But it is still quite possible. And polymorph is a popular spell for humanoids, why not for dragons? [Although personally, I think the image of a chromatic draogn is much more threatening than the image of a polymorphed dragon in humanoid form. Although, that very well may be the point!]
Note that a dragon that Polymorphs itself is only ever a single standard action away from being his old scaly self (Polymorph has that nity "(D)" at the end of it's duration.....)

Remove ads