• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do Fighters Still Suck?

MYV

First Post
The Avenger Paladin can get advantage 1/short rest and do something similar and smite as well, the Barbarian can get advantage for multiple rounds several times per day. Assuming you use the same feats of course. Whatever feats the fighter can pick the others can as well and often do it better. Fighter with Polearm Master? Ranger with polearm master+colossus slayer+hunters mark.

IDK if action surge cancels out the extra 1d6 the others can get from hex/hunters mark let alone class features and nothing a fighter has comes close to something like the Paladins saving throw aure which more or less is proficiency in all saving throws and for your nearby allies.

The Battlemaster fighter is also the best fighter overall maybe beaten by the Eldritch Knight at the highest levels.

while the avenge paladin is VERY strong, the channel divinity power is only usable on ONE target,
The barbarian can get all the advantage he wants but lacks the burst potential

the extra 1d6 is compensated by a large margin by the extra attacks the fighter gets (considering he can "power attack" on those too)

also consider that for example at lvl 6 a human fighter can both max str and have a feat like sentinel, GWM or polearm mastery that grant many extra attacks. while for example paladins and barbs haven't even maxed str yet.
at lvl 8 a fighter an close a combo like sentinel+polearm mastery (+riposte manouver!!!)and maxed str granting him MANY extra attacks.

a pala and barb can max str and close a 2 feat combo at lvl 12 the earliest, when a fighter already has 3 attacks.

In my group we have both an avenging pala and a GWF fighter
while the pala can occasionally burst insanely (on a crit for example), the fighter out dmges the pla on a regular basis... the dpr he puts out is insane.
and in a realistic scenario where you play in a party, a fighter can benefit more from party sinergy, while a paladin is arguably more "independent" but benefits less from others (while benefitting others greatly)

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
a fighter can potentially go for the -5+10 once per manouver, plus all the advantage opportunities he has every short rest
(remeber one of the manouver, trip attack gratns advantage for the rest of the attack routine)
so lets say at least 6-7 times per short rest; thats 60-70 extra dmg every short rest
can a paladin use 8-10 spell slot on smites every short rest?

Er, what? Trip attack--if it succeeds, and it doesn't have to since Strength saving throws are hardly uncommon among monsters--can knock a target prone, sure, and that grants advantage on further attacks. Without multiple feats, I'm highly skeptical that that translates to "60-70 extra damage every short rest."

Furthermore, "6-7 times per short rest" is not at all true. You get at most 6 superiority dice per short rest--and that's only at 15th level. For the vast majority of the game, you have either four or five, so you can, at best, generate four to five rounds' worth of Prone status...if you spend them all on knocking things prone. But that would prevent you from making use of Precision Attack at any point. So it's much more accurate to say that the Fighter gets 1-2 attempts--not guarantees--of inflicting the Prone status per short rest, in addition to anywhere between 2 and 4 additional maneuvers.

[sblock=Charop math-analysis--ignore if that's not your bag]Since we're further assuming balls-out damage capacity with feats, I'd guess it's safe to assume a 7th level Fighter, giving a total of 5 superiority dice. That gives 2 Trip Attacks and 3 Precision Attacks per short rest--even if both Trip Attacks are successful (which isn't as likely as you might think*), and the Fighter always uses Action Surge to attack after tripping a target, that's 1-2 Precision attacks per Trip. Normally, for the opening/Trip attack, you'd do 1d10+3 (no stat boosts because they both went to feats)+10 = 5.5+13=18.5 damage. If we apply the +10 damage, though, the chances to hit without Precision or Advantage from trip (which you can't have until you have tripped it) aren't great--you're only at a +1 to hit, and almost all monsters have AC higher than 11 AFAIK, mostly in the 13-17 range, giving you pretty dismal chance to hit most things. Thus you can't actually add the extra damage to *that* attack, and you get 1d10+1d8+3=5.5+4.5+3 = 13 average damage for the Trip attack.

Precision attack, on average, negates most to all of the penalty from GWM (-5 always vs. +4.5 average), so with that you pretty much break even. Adding advantage on half those attacks* gives, very roughly, a 20%-25% boost to damage to the attacks that get it: you go from hitting (say) 60-75% of the time, to hitting 84%-94% of the time, which is pretty damn close to a "20% to 25%" boost--smaller benefit if the monster was hard to hit to begin with. Significant, sure, but when you're looking at at most 3 attacks, of which 2-3 are Precision Attack, it's really not as big as you might think (18.5 damage * 3 attacks * .90 approx hit chance = 49.95). Certainly not dramatically bigger than a Paladin who (wisely) saves her Smites for crits, so she can roll (say) 4d6+6d8+3 = 14+27+3 = 44 damage. A whopping 5 points difference--and that's for a Paladin that *doesn't* apply GWM--doing so would put the Paladin ahead of the Action Surging, blowing nearly all superiority dice Fighter, with a single attack. The Paladin can still make another attack that round, and can do this whole thing 3 times a day, without even spending any Channel Divinity stuff. Popping Sacred Weapon or Vow of Enmity gives a Paladin for an entire combat stuff that a Fighter can do for a single round--if he gets lucky. And the Pally still has all the level 1 Smite spells to enhance his damage too. Based on the feedback at least for this particular forum, most people get about one short rest per day--so the Fighter can do her thing twice, while the Paladin can do it thrice regardless of rest times.

*Assume monsters have a 75% chance to fail the save--which many will have better than that. Failing the save twice has only a (.75)^2=0.5625, a 56.25% chance of happening. So, it'll work both times about as often as it will work once or not at all; it's reasonable to assume at least one success per short rest.[/sblock]

don't forget the action surge you can pop when you know you have advantage for the full round.

Don't forget that Paladins can choose to smite only on criticals--doubling the number of dice they roll.

A paladin has definately much more utility and is VERY strong this edition.... but after the firts maybe 8 lvs he falls behind the fighter in terms of dmg.

Okay I admit I skimmed past this earlier, so my above analysis (being below level 8) doesn't fit your criteria. However, I still think you're shortchanging the Paladin. Sure, it can't attack as often, but it's getting more dice, and only dice get doubled on crits. The Battlemaster Fighter specializes in hit, because he attacks often. The Paladin specializes in crits, because each attack rolls lots of dice. A Paladin who optimizes as much as your Battlemaster Fighter does, and who focuses on picking up damage-improving options can absolutely keep up with the Joneses: consider that Sacred Weapon can be used once per short rest, and simply adds a flat +Cha to attack--which makes it strictly superior to Precision Attack for a given combat once you have Cha 20 (assuming, of course, that the combat doesn't last more than 10 rounds), and a Paladin of (say) 12th level can easily have that + GWM. And at, say, 15th level, when a Paladin naturally puts out +1d8 bonus damage to all attacks, and can whip out +5d8 additional damage twice a day (and +4d8 additional damage 3 times a day), plus spells like Hunter's Mark or any of the several great Smite spells? Yeah, Paladin can absolutely keep up. Ironically, you see the two sort of "swap" in that sense: with ongoing bonus damage (Smite spells, Improved Divine Smite, Hunter's Mark), the Paladin makes for a much better "every single attack hurts a lot," while the Fighter becomes all about the nova, setting up a round to drop Action Surge to get an extra 3 (eventually 4) attacks.

From the tanking perspective there is no doubt that the barbarian is king, even better if you multiclass. Even tho all you need to stop a rage is a stun until the barbarian's 15lvl.

Well yeah. Barbarians are ridiculously beefy in this edition. If the Totem Barbarian were more interesting, I'd probably be playing one instead of the Dragonborn Valor Bard I'm playing now. But classes that are "one-button" affairs bore me.

pemerton

Legend
because magic is, well, fake, we don't have real life examples to pull from, or general rules to use. So whereas you need a separate defined rule for each spell you use
You really don't. Take games like Ars Magica or M:tA, for instance, you don't need a separate defined rule for every spell, you just put together new ones any time you like. D&D has generally done magic in discrete little rule packages called spells, but there's no necessity to do it that way
Just reiterating what Tony Vargas said here. Magic doesn't need to be done in D&D style spells.

Marvel Heroic RP, for instance, uses a Sorcery ability that is rated the same as any other ability. There are no discrete spells. If you want to hobble someone with your sword, you roll your Weapon ability; if you want to hobble someone with your magic, you roll your Sorcery ability.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
while the avenge paladin is VERY strong, the channel divinity power is only usable on ONE target,
The barbarian can get all the advantage he wants but lacks the burst potential

the extra 1d6 is compensated by a large margin by the extra attacks the fighter gets (considering he can "power attack" on those too)

also consider that for example at lvl 6 a human fighter can both max str and have a feat like sentinel, GWM or polearm mastery that grant many extra attacks. while for example paladins and barbs haven't even maxed str yet.
at lvl 8 a fighter an close a combo like sentinel+polearm mastery (+riposte manouver!!!)and maxed str granting him MANY extra attacks.

a pala and barb can max str and close a 2 feat combo at lvl 12 the earliest, when a fighter already has 3 attacks.

In my group we have both an avenging pala and a GWF fighter
while the pala can occasionally burst insanely (on a crit for example), the fighter out dmges the pla on a regular basis... the dpr he puts out is insane.
and in a realistic scenario where you play in a party, a fighter can benefit more from party sinergy, while a paladin is arguably more "independent" but benefits less from others (while benefitting others greatly)

Does the Avenging Paladin also use GWF and exploit the benefits of their Channel Divinity correctly? Or are they intentionally playing a more "supportive" character? It sounds to me like your Fighter is a ruthless damage minmaxer, and your Paladin is not. While 5e generally confines the hit and AC values to a narrow range, HP and damage spike much higher--so a character that hyperfocuses on attacks is noticeably different from one that does not, even when the two classes have similar or even identical (by being the same class) damage potential. Also: Does your group take lots of short rests between long rests? Most groups seem to take only 1 or maybe 2 if they feel very confident (or absolutely MUST take another rest)--if your group takes 3+ on a regular basis, that would absolutely swing things in the Fighter's favor. (Ironically, while 5e's balance is quite loose in most respects, I strongly believe that it is very finely balanced around getting 2 short rests between long rests--getting 3 or more on most "days" [and yes I know they're not always "days"] makes Fighters and Warlocks outshine their long-rest counterparts, getting 1 or fewer on most "days" makes Fighters and Warlocks anemic.)

Also, I really don't think "maxed strength plus 1 feat because you picked a specific race" vs. "just-below maxed strength plus 1 feat for picking the same race" is nearly as much of a difference as you're making it out to be. Particularly because at level 6, both classes are making the same number of attacks, and two levels later the Paladin can catch up (while the Fighter almost guaranteed cannot significantly outdo the benefits of GWM+max stat with a single additional feat or ASI).

MYV

First Post
having advantage means that most likely you don't need to use precision attack also to use the -5+10, and remember that you can use precision attack AFTER you have seen your roll.
so in many cases the use of a trip attack grants more than one -5+10 attack, (at least one from the extra attack and one from the bonus action attack) so often 1 manouver = 2 "power attacks"

about palas smiting on crits; you fist have to score a crit... and crits have a high tendency to overkill.
so assuming you score a crit every 20 attacks, from lvl 5 on it means you score a crit every 10 rounds... that means that often it means you score less than 2 every short rest (that depends on playstile and resting in your campaign) and have no crontrol on when it happens.

lets consider lvl 12 fighter and palas as you brought up in your example
a pala will have 3 ASI and a feat if he's human
a fighter 4 ASI and a feat (human also)
so fighter with sentinel, GWF and polearm master + maxed str
pala with GWF +maxed out str and + 4 charisma?

fighter has 4 attack every round (3+bonus from PA) + reactions from sentinel and riposte (nearly every turn)
pala has 2 attacks (+1 if he crits)

pala activates his channel and get + 4 to hit but loses a turn
so pala power attacks each turn + improved smite + smites 5d8 twice
so pala deals (assuming everything hits) bonus dmg equal to 10+10+5+5+4,5+4,5+22,5+22,5=74 + 14 from normal dmg 98
all resources used, and they don't recharge on a short rest

now fighter
fighter can trip on first attack or go for multiple precision strikes that he has to use ONLY if he rolls low.
hes attack goes each turn with a bonus dmg equal to 10+10+10+10+5+5+5+5 + 19 from normal dmg 79
but the fighter has 2 rounds cause he didn't spend a round buffing up

so round 1
fig 79
pala 0
round 2
figh 158
pala 98
round 3 pala already used his smites fighter still has manouvers
fighter 237
pala 141

and so on.... the fighter hasn't even used action surge nor it has used any reactions
clearly we are talking about the dmg "potential" here, as there are many outside factors that can favour one or the other depending on the encounter

arguably the avenger pala can max out more dmg than the fighter against ONE big guys once per short rest... but that is pretty situational and still requires the use of daily resources

Last edited:

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I don't think it's unfair to assume ~20 rounds of combat in a day, if the Fighter is getting, and benefitting from, two short rests. Arise from long rest; two combats, short rest; two-three combats, short rest; two combats; long rest. Even if every encounter is only 3 rounds (which I find fantastically unlikely, given my experience of 5e combat), that's 3*6 = 18 rounds, or 36 attacks. The odds of getting at least two crits in 36 attacks is 54%; if we bump the average up to 3.5 rounds per combat, that's 3.5*6 = 21 rounds, or 42 attacks, which give 62% odds of getting at least two crits.

Yes, you have the possibility of overkill. You also absolutely have the possibility of overkill with Action Surge if you get lucky and kill the target on your first or second attack. Your strategy must adapt to match the difference in targeting goals. Paladins want to attack the beefiest thing there is on the field, acquire advantage, and hope for a crit (hence why the Vengeance Paladin oath of enmity CD is so powerful--9.75% chance to crit is no joke, and gives about a 55% chance to crit over the course of a single, four-round combat). And if no crits are forthcoming--the Paladin can always cast a bonus-action Smite spell to make all their attacks nastier. Or save their spells for something more interesting/useful outside of combat.

Last edited:

number of options... how about we just want number of options and choice points...

an 8th level wizard knows 21 spells and can prep 12 of them and they come with lots of options maybe if we could have that type of choice by say level 16... but even at 20th there aren't that many... and they doen't give you as much versatility as magic either...

The fighter isn't the versatility in a box type of character. That is the wizard's job- to perform feats of magic that those who have not studied it cannot. If you hand out that utility to every class then all classes kind of feel the same.

I enjoy fighters. I am running three campaigns at different times and only get to be a player once every few weeks and I am playing a battlemaster fighter without multi-classing. A dex based fighter that is good with both bow and paired weapons (rapiers). Menacing attack, and trip can be used with either bow or melee attacks, that is versatility. The fun comes from applying this focused skill set to actual situations. I wouldn't say the fun of playing this character would dramatically increase by adding a dozen new abilities to the character sheet which amounted to flowery descriptions of doing X amount of damage.

MYV

First Post
I don't think it's unfair to assume ~20 rounds of combat in a day, if the Fighter is getting, and benefitting from, two short rests. Arise from long rest; two combats, short rest; two-three combats, short rest; two combats; long rest. Even if every encounter is only 3 rounds (which I find fantastically unlikely, given my experience of 5e combat), that's 3*6 = 18 rounds, or 36 attacks. The odds of getting at least two crits in 36 attacks is 54%; if we bump the average up to 3.5 rounds per combat, that's 3.5*6 = 21 rounds, or 42 attacks, which give 62% odds of getting at least two crits.

Yes, you have the possibility of overkill. You also absolutely have the possibility of overkill with Action Surge if you get lucky and kill the target on your first or second attack. Your strategy must adapt to match the difference in targeting goals. Paladins want to attack the beefiest thing there is on the field, acquire advantage, and hope for a crit (hence why the Vengeance Paladin oath of enmity CD is so powerful--9.75% chance to crit is no joke, and gives about a 55% chance to crit over the course of a single, four-round combat). And if no crits are forthcoming--the Paladin can always cast a bonus-action Smite spell to make all their attacks nastier. Or save their spells for something more interesting/useful outside of combat.

well, a fighter with action surge can always move to another target if the one you are bursting dies, a paladin crit can't.
and as more round go by, the dmg gap gets only bigger for the fighter since the extra attacks

but that is not the point.
the point is that while it IS debatable who is the best class for every situation, the fighter definately is not underpowered or completely outshined by others... it not only has it role, but it's also damn good at it.

Azurewraith

Explorer
I said the Battlemaster Fighter was the best one and you are using optional feats and one of the power combos and you are multiclassed as well. Multiclassed fighters are a bit different (Fighter1/Warlock 9 for example). How do you make a Valor Bard better?Start as a fighter (1). How do you make a Bladelock better? Start as a fighter. Fighter 1 is a sexy level dip for the amount you get.

Fighter1/Warlock19 advantage on all attacks, saves, skill checks, disadvantage to get hit (foresight), +25 temp hit point, deal 25 points of damage when hit (armour of agathys), +1d6 bonus damage to all attack (hex lasting 24 hours), strength and charisma to damage, better at range via eldritch blast with more attacks than the fighter except when that fighter eventually hits level 20.

From level 1-0 fighters seem outclassed at damage by several classes and even after that they seem to lack a significant advantage all the way to level 20. Its not like damage is all that either as a Paladins charisma bonus to all saves is gonna be kind of good.

True i forget the optional bits are well optional.

It's just up to the DM to rule what happens. He can say "the pike runs the ogre through and the confused halfing is left sitting on his chest" or "the ogre yells 'fore!' and hits the flailing halfling with his greatclub, sending him flying off the bridge and into the Gorge of Eternal Peril" or "Roll to hit - with advantage for such an audacious move!" or "Roll to hit, with disadvantage because halflings are poorly-balanced for throwing" or "fine, Colossus, make a strength check..."

Of course, that should also illustrate why having a selection neatly-defined option can be kinda nice...

Character-defined resources like action surge are one way to handle such things. Two other ways are table conventions ("the first time you try something crazy, it just works") and new rules ("halflings count as improvised weapons for proficiency but get to add their own Strength bonus to damage on top of yours if you hit") or both.

The AD&D way would be to make up new rules. The 5A PHB encourages this approach.

Remove ads