• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Do Inquisitors need to be so serious?

Minsc

Explorer
I'm thinking of a Dwarf Inquisitor of Cayden Cailean.

I always thought Cayden would be the perfect deity for a cleric who wasn't too serious, and it would be a ton of fun to play. But when I think Inquisitor (which I kind of want to try just because I ever have), I think of the historical inquisition (not the Monty Python version).

Ramaster

Adventurer
This is, IMO, a GREAT opportunity for roleplaying.

I suggest you go for a super serious guy who has his head set on stopping tyranny and slavery and doesn't really get along with the rest of the people who share his faith.

Basically he embodies all of Caiden's goals and none of his methods.

GameOgre

Adventurer
I just watched a movie this weekend that had a Inquisitor type character who was totally funny and used humor to disarm and put at ease people while he questioned/interrogated them. In the movie this sick $%$%$% was EVIL and a horror of a man but he came across as so good natured and friendly with a often bubbly personality that everyone almost instantly liked him,sometimes even after they knew who he was!

He would even apologize and bemoan his fate and the nasty things he had to do while telling the guards to drag a four year old off to be tortured.

He reminded me of the guy in that recent Inglorious Bastards movie.

I know this isn't really what you were looking for but perhaps the happy go lucky nice guy personality can mask the deadly seriousness of your character?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Why not a dark sense of humour? Or a Klingon-like sense of humour? Honor (the god's creed) is super important, but they can also play hard. In the Pool of Radiance trilogy, there was a old Paladin that that defied all stereotypes for the class.

Starfox

Hero
I see the inquisitor as a cleric/rogue crossover. Kind of a hybrid class before the classification was invented. Being grim is strictly optional.

I also find the inquisitor incredibly complex and convoluted for the advantages it gets.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'm in a Pathifnder Skull and Shackles game now with a player who's playing a halfling Inquisitor of Cayden Cailean with a peg leg. :) he plays him as very jovial, always going for the disarming smile or laugh, but perfectly willing to slit a bastard's throat if he tries to take advantage of a lady, or is cruel to the weak or helpless. You can give an inquisitor an awesome personality if you look at devotion to the god, and figure out what that means to someone on a personal level - not everyone has the experiences of a Solomon Kane, and comes out exactly like Solomon Kane; the person they are fuels the response to the experience, as does the tenets of the god.

Thotas

First Post
Let me clarify that the Solomon Kane thing was my initial "vibe" from the class. Yes, everything can be played against type, and playing against type can make for a lot of fun, of course. But playing against type does mean that there's a "type" to begin with.

Remove ads