• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do material components actually have to be touched?

paranoid

Can someone please point out a reference to me that material components, foci or divine foci have to be touched to cast a spell? I stumbled over that problem while pondering if it would be useful to grease a clerics' holy symbol to prevent him from spellcasting. But, looking through the books and the SRD, I found nothing about that material components / foci have to be actually grasped in the moment of casting.

the only thing I found is
To cast a spell with a material (M), focus (F), or divine focus (DF) component, you have to have the proper materials, as described by the spell. Unless these materials are elaborate preparing these materials is a free action.
But does "preparing" really say that you have to touch it? Perhaps they just "disappear" out of your component pouch??

The only other reference I found is under the grappling entry:
You can attempt to cast a spell while grappling or even while pinned (see below), provided its casting time is no more than 1 standard action, it has no somatic component, and you have in hand any material components or focuses you might need.
But grappling is certainly not the usual environment.

While I always took for granted that those components need to be handled somehow, I'd like to see it confirmed by some rule.

thanks,
paranoid.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
The SRD says that when casting a spell you must "manipulate the material components or focus (if any)." If you're not touching the components, you can't manipulate them.

Urbannen

First Post
I don't remember where I saw it, but I've seen it written that clerics don't have to manipulate their divine foci when casting a spell - they can just be wearing them.

paranoid

AuraSeer said:
The SRD says that when casting a spell you must "manipulate the material components or focus (if any)." If you're not touching the components, you can't manipulate them.

thanks AS, I seem to have overlooked that completely. I think that clears things up a bit!

thanks all,
paranoid.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads