• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do mindflayer mindblasts affect constructs and undead?

Benimoto

First Post
It doesn't mention in the Monster Manual whether it's a mind affecting effect or not, but like fnork said, it doesn't practically matter. Constructs and undead (as well as elementals and oozes) are immune to stunning.

shilsen

Adventurer
Benimoto said:
It doesn't mention in the Monster Manual whether it's a mind affecting effect or not, but like fnork said, it doesn't practically matter. Constructs and undead (as well as elementals and oozes) are immune to stunning.
What he said. The mind blast is not a mind-affecting effect, but that doesn't matter here.

frankthedm

First Post
Henry said:
Yeah, I agree -- kinda like the WotC Question where they note that, technically, by the rules, you can power attack with a whip. :)
Since you cannnot even hurt most things with a whip, the impact is minimal. I do like using the mechanics of the whip to represent chain based weapons instead of the spiked chain's mechanics.

Whip
A whip deals nonlethal damage. It deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. The whip is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don’t threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).

Using a whip provokes an attack of opportunity, just as if you had used a ranged weapon.

You can make trip attacks with a whip. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the whip to avoid being tripped.

When using a whip, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to keep from being disarmed if the attack fails).

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a whip sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you.

Henry

Autoexreginated
frankthedm said:
Since you cannnot even hurt most things with a whip, the impact is minimal.

True, but my common sensibilities grate on me seeing both whips and slings use STR mods to damage, since they are almost as much based on mechanical action as Crossbows are (or, more accurately, more like bows not built for strength; weak users would probably impact the weapon, but strong users wouldn't make much difference).

But then, I realize I'm playing D&D, also, and try not to worry about it. :D

Henry said:
True, but my common sensibilities grate on me seeing both whips and slings use STR mods to damage, since they are almost as much based on mechanical action as Crossbows are (or, more accurately, more like bows not built for strength; weak users would probably impact the weapon, but strong users wouldn't make much difference).

But then, I realize I'm playing D&D, also, and try not to worry about it. :D

Heck, you can actually hold a whip in two hands and power attack 2-for-1 with it. I love the fact that a power attacking barbarian can bash an adamantine door down with a whip, but he can't hurt a guy wearing padded armor.

Or rather, I hate that fact.

shilsen

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
Heck, you can actually hold a whip in two hands and power attack 2-for-1 with it. I love the fact that a power attacking barbarian can bash an adamantine door down with a whip, but he can't hurt a guy wearing padded armor.

Or rather, I hate that fact.
The rules have that covered. That's what the "Ineffective Weapons" paragraph on pg.165 of the PHB covers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads