• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do Monsters become Disabled, Dying?

Kyrail

First Post
I've been told several times monsters die at 0 hitpoints, end of story. But some things like the spell Death Knell makes me question this.

Do they live to -9 hitpoints like PCs?

Fieari

Explorer
I've always played that they do. But of course, for most monsters, no one is going to tend to the injured and they'll die anyway once at -1.

Alduk

First Post
Right. And there was a topic on this exact subject not long ago, I had just seen it in my trek through the last 20+ pages of topics. (I should really lose this habit of letting threads accumulate for 2 months before reading them...)

A shame I didn't save the link for it, though.

dcollins

Explorer
Kyrail said:
I've been told several times monsters die at 0 hitpoints..

The rules for Disabled and Dying conditions are for everybody -- not just PCs. You'll note that the Undead and Construct types have special rules saying that they are destroyed at 0 hp.

Len

Prodigal Member
The practice in my group (and many others it seems) is to assume that monsters reduced to -1 hitpoints either die or are finished off by us at the end of the battle. If we want to keep an enemy alive (to question him for example) we tell the DM to keep track of HP and stabilization so we can ask at the end of the fight if anyone is still alive.

Note that in any case most monsters aren't assumed dead until -1 hp, not 0 hp. You can still act at 0 hp (unless you're undead or a construct, as others have noted).

Alduk

First Post
In the same thread I mentioned above, I picked up a nice little "house" rule for speeding up the proccess of determining whether a mook dies or not. Unfortunately I can't remember the original author to credit him, but if anyone remembers, please tell us.

Basically, you roll percentile dice based on the current HP of the creature when it falls unconscious:

Negative hp...probability of dying

Zoatebix

Working on it
Ooh - that's a good chart. I'm assuming the probability meshes exactly with the dying rules in the PHB?

Now I need to go look stuff up...

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Generally, for normal monsters, I generally assume that the group will finish them off and don't bother calculating their hp below zero. For important NPCs, they got to negatives just like the PCs.

One time the group dropped an important NPC and quickly fled to chase after the other one which had fled. Well, I checked to stabalize and the NPC stabalized. The fleeing NPC (a cleric) ditched the PCs and circled around to heal the fallen NPC. The group was surprised to return to the fallen NPC and find him gone.

Alduk

First Post
Zoatebix said:
Ooh - that's a good chart. I'm assuming the probability meshes exactly with the dying rules in the PHB?

Now I need to go look stuff up...
Yes, it does. That's the beautiful part. ;)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads