• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do Multiclass Wizards have Spellbooks?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
So, if multiclassing into wizard is a matter only of taking the appropriate feats, how does it work for spellbooks? Does the fighter who multiclasses into wizard escape the legacy of spellbooks, memorizing spells, and Vancian magic?

(Apologies if this has been asked; haven't been able to find the question discussed.)

Thanks!

keterys

First Post
No. Only true wizards have spellbooks.

The more curious question comes when you multiclass from wizard into things and put them in your spellbook...

Gloombunny

First Post
keterys said:
No. Only true wizards have spellbooks.

The more curious question comes when you multiclass from wizard into things and put them in your spellbook...
I'm not sure if you're allowed to put spells gained from multiclass feats into the spellbook. Either way, it does specifically say "spell" and not "power", so you could only do that if multiclassing into warlock. And only for one daily and one utility.

keterys

First Post
Ah, but you gain _two_ utilities every time you gain a utility power, etc.

So... two warlock spells? Or one wizard, one warlock?

Zsig

Explorer
NewfieDave said:
I'm interested in playing a Dwarf Wizard multiclassed into Cleric, so I'd like an answer to how that would work as well.

Clerics have Prayers and not Spells so you shouldn't bother about it. Spellbooks are for spells only (and rituals).

NewfieDave

First Post
Zsig said:
Clerics have Prayers and not Spells so you shouldn't bother about it. Spellbooks are for spells only (and rituals).

So if I choose to gain a Cleric daily power with a multiclassing feat, do I lose one of my Wizard dailies or two (or three if I have the Expanded Spellbook feat)?

If I only lose one then do I still have a choice to prepare the remaining Wizard daily or my Cleric daily for that level?

keterys

First Post
It is curious. All the interesting unanswered questions we can find... just imagine once the books actually get out :)

Dormain1

Explorer
just more proof the MC was rushed and tacked on

as someone who has always liked multiclassing, not for min max but for versatility the hampered system they now have in place makes a very limited scope for MC

perhaps more feats will come out were a character can take a class feature such as lay on hands or channel divinity (just the one i know off the top of my head)

perhaps a feat called solid multiclassing
take all class features for a class which you already have the initiate feat and at least 1 other per encounter ability of that class(any @will class features become 1 per encounter powers)

which is 3 feats to have less powers than that of a 1st level character of that class which is 1/6th of the feats you are going to get by 20

don't get me wrong i dont mind the power scale compared to 3.5 which was shocking but MC is still very weak versatility wise IMO

VannATLC

First Post
You know, thats a qood question.

I'd rule you lost 2.

But for the latter part, no you cannot choose to prepare the cleric daily in a wizard daily slot.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads