Do Night Hags have any connection to other Hags?

Felon

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
I thought there were some vague hints in the 3.5 monster manual about this, but maybe I'm remembering it from somewhere else. Wasn't there an article on night hags in the October Dragon? Maybe that's what I'm thinking of...

Really? I gotta check that out. It takes a lot of thought and creativity to write an ecology article about a monster that's smarter than a spatula. Wish we'd see more of'em.

Shemeska

Adventurer
There was always the theory that Night Hags were the petitioners of mortal hags from the prime (green, annis, etc). However it was never backed up with anything and it was implied heavily that Night Hags were the result of ascended Hordlings (themselves being ascended larvae who lingered upon the Waste without being stolen away by any of the true fiends, or sold to them by already extant night hags).

The Night Hags as such certainly fill a spot in the ecology of the Waste since the Yugoloth are more primal, themselves not coming directly from mortal petitioners but birthed out of the raw essence of the plane itself.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Ecology of the Greenhag, Dragon #125. Night hags and humans produce greenhags, while greenhags and either hill giants or ogres produce an annis. Granted, I have taken it a few steps further. Night hags and demons produce succubi. Night hags and devils produce erinyes. Etc etc

Gez

First Post
Aeolius, do you have your "Night Hag family tree" somewhere online?

IMC, mortals possessed in dreams by night hags will be corrupted and will sire green hags, bog hags (OA), fen witch (ToH) or other, depending on a number of factors and on DM's fiat. Night Hags will also teach to evil women how to become one of the hag types of the Creature Collection book (Brine, Cave, Ice, Moon, Storm, Swamp).
Other hags are hybrids of hags and various critters. Sea hags had a scrag or ocean giant parent, frex.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Gez said:
Sea hags had a scrag or ocean giant parent, frex.

IMC, sea hags are the daughters of marine merrow and greenhags. I also added salt hags, daughters of night hags and aquatic elves, and the woodhag, daughter of a sylvan elf and night hag.

There is also the pseudonatural fish hag, a creation of the kaorti. But that's a different story. ;)

Remove ads