Do people want hand-drawn maps anymore?

rexgoose

First Post
psyekl said:
I for one would like to see more hand-drawn maps and floorplans!

Your maps are outstanding, I'm sure your computer drawn maps would also be outstanding if you liked to work with that medium and I can understand if you don't.

One thing that know one else seams to have pointed out is FUNCTIONALITY. It’s the retrieval and modification systems that make computers appealing.

Let me give you an example:
It takes no longer to type a letter on a typewriter than it does to type it on a computer but what if you want to add another paragraph in the middle or if you need to produce 20 copies (and don’t have a photocopier) or what about if you need to email it, are you starting to see my point?

Here are another few reasons why computer formats may be better suited to producing and storing maps even if the typical creator doesn’t have the skill to make an attractive artwork type map.

Modifications:
As above

Electronic V's paper
I play D&D in the PBEM format (Play by email) and it's pretty hard to fit an A0 sized hand drawn map into my phone socket

Vector vs. bitmap detail
Maps created in proper graphics program are vector based (meaning that they are stored as mathematically calculated paths and plotted points) this means that no matter how much you blow them up you still get crisp clear prints. For example you can print the "world" campaign map and then zoom in and print the area immediately surrounding the township with full details on both and no need to draw multiple maps.

Vector vs. bitmap File size
Vector maps are significantly smaller than bitmaps' so even if you scanned your hand drawn map it would be either huge or loose all the lovely detail and crispness (such as the one that you have uploaded). Not all players want to download or store a 50mb map image. You could "trace" the map to be a vector but it’s a bit of a process especially when you have anything more than line art.

Layers or the fog of war
I have a Fog of war type restriction on the maps I give to my players so I can print out a new map when they have investigated a new area but not give away uninvestigated areas. You could do this on a photocopier but it may be fairly inconvenient

Layers Notes
In an electronic map you can store relevant information keys or other data in a layer that doesn’t print for the players only for the DM.

There are quite a few other advantages but this is all I have time for this evening. Just my thoughts hope this is helpful for stimulating debate. I have the proper software and the motivation to create great maps I just don’t have very much artistic skill so perhaps in the future you can critique mine. :)

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Maps created in proper graphics program are vector based (meaning that they are stored as mathematically calculated paths and plotted points)

Unfortunately, it is my opinion that vector-graphic maps look... ugly. I used to work with vector graphics a lot, but bitmaps are so much prettier. COmpare Dundjinni maps with CC2 maps for an example of this.

Henry

Autoexreginated
HellHound said:
Unfortunately, it is my opinion that vector-graphic maps look... ugly. I used to work with vector graphics a lot, but bitmaps are so much prettier. Compare Dundjinni maps with CC2 maps for an example of this.

I can understand the sentiment; the problem with most vector artwork is the lack of texturing that makes an object come alive. Plain Vector work is quite cartoonish in its look, but vector amended with proper bitmap textures can look so good you can barely tell the difference.

I would love to see more hand-drawn maps myself! However, because of computer design, they have become a luxury now, much like a hand-crafted garment. The other problem is that computer maps can be reprinted easily and resized for different uses. But ease of use will never breed the kind of aesthetics that psykel's map exudes. :)

James Heard

Explorer
I dunno, if you hand draw your vector graphics then even making use of some of the cloning features (having a set of seven or nine mountains and replicating them and manipulating them ) I still don't see what the fuss is about. I just see a lot of the problems with computer maps being issues more specifically aimed at amateurish ones or ones done with specific programs. I could sit down and scan/trace out a map/do it all with my tablet that would for all intents and purposes be the exact same thing as I'd get with a pencil and brush but with all the best features of computer graphics. With a little effort you can even translate that into vector graphics and make consistent map styles...

My main problems with computer maps? Errors get fixed instead of being errors. Sometimes you need to actively insert mistakes onto a digital map for 'realism'. Color is sometimes a bit over the top. The day someone makes a tablet with a thumb brush for blending I'll be forever grateful. Using certain brushes lends to a sense of sameness. Vector graphics sometimes have tendency to have their lines become all one width.

But the main bonus of the computer is that you don't end up cursing as much when the cat stomps across freshly inked pages, or having to sand away a thumbprint; and when you suddenly realize that your choice of colors was really poor you don't have to end up doing the entire process again.

Anyone doing hand drawn maps, I'd just recommend looking into seeing what all you can actually manage by either taking the work or the process digital. NOT CCPro, but Photoshop and Painter and such. Let the tools be your friend.

Remove ads