• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do people who play non-D&D RPGs generally also play D&D?

johnsemlak

First Post
I was wondering if most people who play non-D&D rpgs started playing D&D and just branched out. Or are there people who started with a non-D&D rpg and never play (-ed) D&D?

I was particularly thinking about StarWars, but also about Spycraft, Traveller, WoT, CoC, LotR/MERP.

The reason I'm interested in this is I have a brother who is very interested in Star Wars (reads all the books and collects loads of stuff) but doesn't play RPGs and has never played D&D. Would Star Wars d20 be a good gift?

Crothian

First Post
It seems to depend on when they started. Most people I know who started pre 1990 started with D&D, however after 1990 I know more who started on other systems and never played D&D.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
personally, i started with D&D (1e) and branched out to others RPGs (White Wolf, Palladium (Rifts), Deadlands, WEG's Star Wars, etc.) and then came back to D&D

i do think the d20 SW would be a great gift for a SW fan who you would like to introduce to RPGs

(IMO :D )

Dremen

First Post
I think a starwars fan who likes it that much would love the RPG book. Before E1 came out I was a huge fan as well. I didn't play rpgs for years but I would still buy Battle Tech and SW rpg books for the art, and extra info about the settings. I would have loved it.

-D

randomling

First Post
Hm, most of the gamers I've met are either mainly D&D players, or won't touch it with a 10-foot pole. Then again, I know D&D players and Vampire players so maybe it's not all that surprising...

Synicism

First Post
Well, most of my gaming crew started with AD&D of one kind or another. We sort of grew out of them and picked up other games and only really returned to D&D when 3rd came out. We still play other systems. It depends on what a particular game calls for. Personally, the only d20 system game I play is D&D, although I have been itching to try Mutants & Masterminds.

Fenes 2

First Post
I started back in 1991/1992 with Shadowrun 1E, but soon started a weekly AD&D 2E game as well. Nowadays I still play both systems weekly, both up to their 3rd Editions now. Between the two of them I got modern and fantasy covered.

For a couple of years I also played Earthdawn, but not anymore since my first RPG group disbanded 5 or 6 years ago..

tabrumj

First Post
I play anything and everything under the sun.

Some games I have played in the last Decade.

Traveller
Vampire(and most other WoD games)
Shadowrun
Fading Suns
Rifts
GURPS
Exalted
Rolemaster
Call of Cthullu
Amazing Engine: Bug Hunters
Advancded Hero Quest

and of course,
DnD lots of DnD.

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
I know a LOT of "never-played D&D" people. A lot of them were introduced to RPGs via White Wolf / Vampire / The StoryTeller System. SOme more are people I recruited via my many modern and post-modern RPGs that I run such as CyberPunk 2020, deadEarth, and so on.

Remove ads