• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do the Infernal Pact Temp. HP stack?

cjais

First Post
I find the rules on this a bit unclear, but I hope there's been made some sort of consensus on this issue.

The rules say that "Temporary HP from different sources don't stack". However, if an infernal warlock triggers the pact boon twice, does that count as "one source", but triggered on two occasions (and thus stackable), or "two different sources" (as they are from two different cursed enemies)?

For purposes of stacking, does "source" here refer to two different occasions, or two different means of getting temporary HP?

Assuming all the pact boon HP stack, a warlock (with the right feats and stats) would end up with an ungodly amount of temporary HP by the end of the encounter - is this intended?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
No, it doesn't count as one source, because the boon grants HP at different times.

You are right, if they were to stack it would be excessive.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
So far I've found the simplest starting point is to assume that temp hit points never stack at all.

This hasn't cause a problem for me so far.

cjais

First Post
So far I've found the simplest starting point is to assume that temp hit points never stack at all.

That also seems to be what the rules imply.

Actually, would a situation ever arise where temporary hit points from the same "source" would be able to stack?

Tale

First Post
That also seems to be what the rules imply.

Actually, would a situation ever arise where temporary hit points from the same "source" would be able to stack?
A power that gives you 5+intelligence modifier temporary hit points.

The 5 temporary hit points stack with the intelligence modifier hit points.

Keenath

Explorer
No, Tale has it right. Each instance of gaining Temporary HP is a single unit, and doesn't stack with any other instance. The wording seems to be there to assure us that if you gain 6 temp HP, that's not six single HP that don't stack, and "d6+4" means a range from 5 to 10 rather than 4-6.

Basically, every time you gain temporary HP, compare the amount gained to your current temp HP total, and take the bigger one.

Nail

First Post
Exactly. I think that this is the best way of phrasing it.
Then why doesn't it say that?

4e speaks more clearly than 3.xe. ...And yet sometimes it stumbles, as you see here.

"Different sources" implies that somewhere there are "same sources". Where are they?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads